Page 7 of 188 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast

Thread: The Semi-Unofficial Pistol-Forum Car geek, gearhead, hot rodder, and vehicle thread

Well shoot since we are doing a cars we used to own thing...

My ‘67 Austin Cooper S and ‘03 ZHP.

Just finished tail of the dragon in my Dinan-tuned ‘09 E92. That V8 was fun.

My ‘16 2500 w the Cummins, near Zion National Park. I loved that truck.

Before that was a best forgotten MBZ C280, a bunch of 100k Honda Accord 5 speeds, a Civic, a Mercury Lynx Wagon (also 5 speed lol), a POS ‘81 Plymouth Horizon that was the WORST CAR I’ve ever run across (ties with my best friends ‘74 Vega) and a ‘63 Dart w two speed automatic.

Geebus I’m getting old lol.

Love this thread though. Great idea @JRB. Glad to be here with fellow car nut friends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Name:  STA60491.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  79.0 KB

Speaking of ZHPs - my 2006 BMW 330 ZHP. RIP - totaled after a rear end collision on I75N commuting home from work. (The 2005 MB C55 AMG as bought with the insurance money). They do not make em like that any more!

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post

A thing that's often overlooked is how long a car will operate at its capability. Many very fast cars will destroy themselves with heat in a short time on the track. My preference is for cars that can go out, establish a steady-state operating condition at the limit of their performance that's stable until either they're out of gas or the session is over (20-30 minutes minimum), cool off, and go out and do it again as many times as you want. That includes engine, drivetrain, brakes, tires... all the systems on the car. This was the idea behind the NA FD a few pages ago. All the people I've known with NA rotary track cars who keep the porting and revs reasonable just keep doing laps.
    I love this approach.

What currently manufactured, un-modified cars can achieve this?

Name:  A66CDF5E-10E0-407C-A488-E15A65E73D6D.jpeg
Views: 301
Size:  31.1 KB
    Last edited by oakdalecurtis; 12-12-2019 at 08:04 PM.

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    Quote Originally Posted by oakdalecurtis View Post
    Name:  A66CDF5E-10E0-407C-A488-E15A65E73D6D.jpeg
Views: 301
Size:  31.1 KB
    That’s what I’m talking about. There is no substitute.

🤣🤣

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    I love this approach.

What currently manufactured, un-modified cars can achieve this?
    Pretty much every naturally aspirated sports car, especially those with optional track packages. On the cheaper end: miata, ft86, 370z, etc. More upscale: bmw m-series, any 2 door porsche, corvette, etc. Certain packages of Mustang & Camaro too...

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    They will all work better with tires and brake pads more suited to the track than what comes on them. Except the ones that come with track-ish tires stock. But people who buy those usually know what they're buying. Some cars have oiling issues in long turns or with particular track geometry, and some of those cars are easier to fix than others.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I’ve driven M3s for over 20 years. My favorite gas-n-oil track car. Very little needs to be done to prep the car for driving schools and track use: fill with gas, check/change the oil, check/change the brake fluid, check the brake pads and suspension components. Go drive. After a dozen schools you might consider an upgrade, or you could wait a few more years. They are very good factory stock. Very good.
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    They will all work better with tires and brake pads more suited to the track than what comes on them. Except the ones that come with track-ish tires stock. But people who buy those usually know what they're buying. Some cars have oiling issues in long turns or with particular track geometry, and some of those cars are easier to fix than others.
    Good point, although I personally classify any tire with < 200 treadwear as a modification (and mods sometimes create vulnerabilities - like high lateral g oil starvation on carousel turns). Folks actually tracking their car should also throw out any notion of 10,000+ mile oil change intervals, regardless of what their owners manual says.

User Tag List