Page 58 of 190 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068108158 ... LastLast

Thread: The Semi-Unofficial Pistol-Forum Car geek, gearhead, hot rodder, and vehicle thread

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    The Pirelli P-Zero Corsa system tires used on some Ferraris and other exotics were left/right *and* directional. And violently, terrifyingly expensive.
    Only read the last couple of pages. You are way more smarter than me. I am so glad u r my friend....

pat

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I've realized that Ford needs to release a Controls Pack for the 6.2L gas motor. There are enough of them out there now, it would be nice to be able to make them run in a vehicle that didn't come with one from the factory. Which apparently is unreasonably difficult. I could see them going in stock and making a sweet upgrade in pretty much any F-series built since about 1968.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I've realized that Ford needs to release a Controls Pack for the 6.2L gas motor. There are enough of them out there now, it would be nice to be able to make them run in a vehicle that didn't come with one from the factory. Which apparently is unreasonably difficult. I could see them going in stock and making a sweet upgrade in pretty much any F-series built since about 1968.
    The new 7.3L Gas V8, yes. The 6.2L honestly kind of sucks and IMHO isn't worth the effort.
    For a restomod, there's basically nothing that the 6.2L can do that 5.0L Coyote can't do just as well or better and there's tons of PCM solutions for the Coyote.

Hell a friend of mine has a 2020 5.0L F150 quad cab and it's making nearly 430whp and 440wtq with an E85 tune and some basic bolt ons, and is getting around 13-14mpg city on straight E85. On his pump gas tune it's around 17-18mpg city and a nudge over 20mpg on the highway. Even first gen 5.0L Coyote's easily make 360+wtq on 86 octane after tuning, and come with a bulletproof 6R80 trans behind them that's available in 2wd and 4wd flavors.

If someone's put off by the idea of only having a measly 302 cubic inches in their old truck project, then just find a 2002-2006 Vortec 8.1L big block in a Chevy 2500 of that vintage. Some even came with the Allison trans in the pickups, and all of that PCM is very easily edited and tuned for a retrofit application with HP tuners. That way they can enjoy old-truck 10mpg with some garbage iron heads, but it's 496cid and makes 450wtq on 86 octane!

Site Supporter
    Anyone have a gen 3 LS pushrod length checker I could borrow for a build I have coming up? Nova’s getting a Texas Speed LQ4 heart transplant!

Spent an enjoyable morning touring the recently-reopened Revs Institute in Naples FL yesterday.

https://revsinstitute.org/

Mostly we did the general section, walking through the race car exhibits and some Lemans racers from the 50s and 60s. Very interesting day. Their Hispano-Suiza's were all missing as they were being prepped for Amelia Island but they had all the other cars. Great museum that's little known, well worth a stop if you are in the SW Fl area.

Obligatory Porsche race car photo

Name:  IMG_8953.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  89.3 KB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TOTS View Post
    Anyone have a gen 3 LS pushrod length checker I could borrow for a build I have coming up? Nova’s getting a Texas Speed LQ4 heart transplant!
    I had an adjustable pushrod length checker from Comp Cams that worked great for the Gen III LS stuff I was doing way back when, and it was around $20. I gave it to a friend still working in that industry years ago because I didn't think I'd need it again.

IIRC it went from way too short to just over stock length, with the usual LS7 trunnions and higher lift cams etc it worked great. Since that was one of the last steps before calling the engine 'done' we ended up waiting weeks for pushrods in some goldilocks length on more than one occasion.

Quick Google-fu seems to indicate it was a Comp Cams 7905-1. The sizing range seems about right for the one I got, unfortunately I can't 100% confirm that's the same thing. But off the top of my head the LQ4 uses 7.4in pushrods in OE config, so that one should do the trick, depending on the lifters you've got in mind.

It'd be worth a call or email to Texas Speed to inquire about the right pushrod lengths for the cam package you want, they've seen just about everything so they'll usually have great feedback for you.
    Just make sure you tell them the rest of the planned engine config (block/heads/pistons/valvetrain parts/intended cam/intake manifold/headers/etc as well as your trans (stall too if an auto) and targeted HP level.

Building an LS1 is a lot like building a 1911, in that once you start changing one thing you have to account for it somewhere else, and that's particularly true in the cam/lifter/pushrod/rocker arm/trunnion/valvespring/valve combo.

Site Supporter
    Found the 300ZXTT's sudden new coolant leak - after removing the battery and examining what I could of the passenger side rear quarter of the engine, there it was. A coolant hose popped open like a microwaved hot dog that's suppose to route coolant into the passenger side turbo's CHRA. Fortunately a lot of 300ZX specialty sites offer a nice $12 4-ply silicone hose to replace that exact rubber hose, which is prone to failure. Some of the fuel lines and clamps looked a little old so I bought a full replacement set of soft fuel lines and hose clamps too. Then found some other stuff that I should probably replace (more 4 ply silicone coolant hoses, a few other things, spark plugs, etc) and $230 later I have my $12 hose on the way.

Get into cars, they said!

On another note, with my wife very much pregnant (yay!) with a Jan due date, we decided her '09 Mini Cooper S is not ever going to see a car seat.
    So Thursday we took delivery of a 2018 Infiniti Q50 3.0T AWD with 21k miles. Carmax beat local dealer prices by light years on similar cars, and the 60 month/100k mile MaxCare warranty was surprisingly cheap. That warranty will (tragically) prevent me from doing the intakes, downpipes, IC heat exchanger, and UpRev tune I'd love to do; so modified, they jump from ~300whp/ 325ft-lbs stock to ~425whp and 470wtq.
    But even bone stock the AWD launch feels like it's in the bottom 5 second range to 60mph, so that ought to do for a Mom-mobile/grocery getter.

Under the hood feels right at home after working on a 300ZXTT, and its so nice to see a clean, un-monkeyd engine bay with all the original fittings and hardware and such. The Q50/Q60's VR30DDTT engine is basically a baby R35 GT-R engine, and features a nice air-to-water IC system, but only the Red Sport trim making ~400whp stock actually has a sufficient heat exchanger and intercooler pump for the air-to-water system so that's apparently a common upgrade.

At this point, if I keep the Z, I'm tempted to find a complete VR30DDTT setup from a wrecked Q50 or Q60 and swap it in with the 7-spd auto, and tune it accordingly. But getting a Supra or two back together is higher priority at the moment and my window of time to really wrench hard is fast closing with the baby due in Jan.

At the moment, I'm tempted to just stuff my existing US spec 2JZ-GTE/V160 powertrain into one of my old MK3 Supras or one of the Lexus SC's I've got lying around. Both of which involves some wiring changes and a lot of monkeying with shifter bracketry to fit the MK3 Supra's tunnel, and gear ratio changes in the rear end to suit the V160's ratio spread and of course pesky things like figuring out how to get a good VSS signal from the trans to the ECU and convert the cable-driven speedo to electric without a nightmare of problems. The SC's are much more far gone in terms of condition but would be a lot easier to physically swap, just a matter of driveshaft length and hanging a manual trans pedal cluster really.

That combo would probably get my old HKS stuff but that includes a big and laggy but glorious sounding HKS T51R Kai single turbo. Might be fun. Or I might get tired of busting knuckles on 90's Japanese shitboxes, and sell all this stuff while it's at stratospheric pricing and just buy an LS3/LS7 C6 vette and drop a supercharger on it, or wait and see how awesome the upcoming Nissan 400Z turns out to be - that'll have the same engine as the Q50 so the modding potential is there.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I would suggest selling old busted junk at stratospheric prices. Or at least pick one to focus on and lose the rest. Kiddo will make you feel like the car-casses own you.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 05-23-2021 at 11:57 AM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    ...with my wife very much pregnant (yay!) with a Jan due date...
    Congratulations!

On another note, with my wife very much pregnant (yay!) with a Jan due date...
    That is quite simply the most wonderful news I've heard all month. Congratulations.

User Tag List