Page 55 of 190 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765105155 ... LastLast

Thread: The Semi-Unofficial Pistol-Forum Car geek, gearhead, hot rodder, and vehicle thread

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post

I lost time, money and friends on that deal. To this day I’m clueless as to why the motor failed.
    It's as simple as, "Turbocharged EJ Subaru".

The cooling system is the weakness of those motors. Usually the #4 cylinder gets hot and causes the head gasket to blow. They can run a surprisingly long time with a blown headgasket, but like most things when it's had enough it's done. It probably had a mild head gasket leak when you bought it and then got progressively worse. If you don't catch it from leaking oil then you usually won't catch it until catastrophic failure.

Subaru makes nice boat anchors for the most part.

I'll admit, I am getting cranky in my old age. I no longer have the inclination to try to make certain things work anymore. I like my cars, trucks, and motorcycles to work. And when they break for the parts to be available.

For instance, say what you will about the price of entry to buy a Porsche, but you can still call Stuttgart and get parts for a 1957 356 or a 1997 996. And while Mustangs and Corvettes may seem uninspiring due to their commonality, you can get every single piece for a 1965 Mustang delivered to your door.

We've talked about this before, "Uncommon guns are uncommon for a reason." Same holds true for cars. As much as I like the look of the Sunbeam, it's the sentimentality of it having been my dad's car, as the reason I keep it. I'm in the process of replacing as much of the stupid Britishness of the car as possible with parts I can source at NAPA. Because just one little attempt at trying to source quality parts for it left me going, "Yea...we're going in another direction."

So this happened...

Name:  44692BD6-E3FD-430D-9D02-0B13B81BB110.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  73.4 KB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    So this happened...
    Do tell!

Quote Originally Posted by TBone550 View Post
    Do tell!
    Had a local Vette specialty shop install a Pro Charger super charger kit on my 2012 Grand Sport. It was between that and the Edlebrock. My gut told me Edlebrock, but all my friends in the know said ProCharger. Admittedly, if I went Edlebrock, I'd probably be wondering if I should have gone Pro Charger...

The kit came with an even lower front skirt, so now she seems to scrape a bit more than before. There was a lot of parts to this besides the actual super charger.

Anyway, the power increase is VERY noticeable. It's a lot of fun.

I am looking at options on a DA orbital polisher for my car. It’s a 2017, Silver, and I just want to freshen up the clear coat and put a little shine on it. I’ve not used a DA polisher, but it seems fairly straightforward.

What features should I be looking for in a buffer? Are these kits you see from e.g. Griot’s Garage worth it for an amateur DIYer? Suggestions for pad brand/type or compound?

@JM Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    I am looking at options on a DA orbital polisher for my car. It’s a 2017, Silver, and I just want to freshen up the clear coat and put a little shine on it. I’ve not used a DA polisher, but it seems fairly straightforward.

What features should I be looking for in a buffer? Are these kits you see from e.g. Griot’s Garage worth it for an amateur DIYer? Suggestions for pad brand/type or compound?
    @JM Campbell
    I have and still use a gen3 Griots orbital that works very well.

This is their newest version iirc https://www.autogeek.net/new-griots-polisher.html

I’d recommend not using the 6” backing plate and step down to a 5” plate and pads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

Quote Originally Posted by JM Campbell View Post
    I have and still use a gen3 Griots orbital that works very well.

This is their newest version iirc https://www.autogeek.net/new-griots-polisher.html

I’d recommend not using the 6” backing plate and step down to a 5” plate and pads.
    Thanks JM, I ordered a Griot's G9 and 5" Lake Country plate/pads from AutoGeek. I'm going to start with a blue pad and a bottle of 3D HD Speed all in one. Will see how it goes. Appreciate the input.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Thanks JM, I ordered a Griot's G9 and 5" Lake Country plate/pads from AutoGeek. I'm going to start with a blue pad and a bottle of 3D HD Speed all in one. Will see how it goes. Appreciate the input.
    I’m glad I could help RJ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I've had very little interest in an LS-swapped BMW up to this point. Today, the idea of doing an E46 wagon popped into my stupid monkey brain and I find it quite compelling.

Stupid monkey brain.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Eldridge FIAT Mephistopheles LSR Car

Name:  fiat-mephistopheles.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  101.0 KB
    FIAT Mephistopheles on display giving a glimpse at the car’s A.12 engine. While not the original engine installed by Eldridge, the power plant is more than enough to push Mephistopheles to speeds beyond that at which any sane person would travel. (Fiat image)
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

User Tag List