Page 52 of 191 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102152 ... LastLast

Thread: The Semi-Unofficial Pistol-Forum Car geek, gearhead, hot rodder, and vehicle thread

Site Supporter
    I see lots of references to Subarus on this site, which is kinda cool because it shows that members here see things on their individual merits rather than simply acting on the stereotypes. (Subaru = left-wing)

Because of a recent divorce and because I'm just cheap when it comes to daily drivers, I'm driving a 199,5xx mile 2004 Outback. It's had a head gasket leak (external oil) since I bought it at 162k miles and also uses some coolant, more in the winter than other times of the year. No coolant in the oil. These engines pretty much all lose their head gaskets at some point, and this being my first Subaru, this'll be the first set of Subaru head gaskets I'll put on. I've been waiting for 200k miles to do it because I'm going to pull the engine and do the timing belt at the same time.

Long story short, is this something that y'all would like to see? I'll take pics and describe along the way if there's interest, but if there isn't, I'm going to just do it. Have to get the forks rebuilt on my bike first; it's been taking up my engine crane since May. But this needs to happen now that I'm running up against the belt change interval.
    Last edited by Welder; 12-20-2020 at 11:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TBone550 View Post
    Long story short, is this something that y'all would like to see?
    Yeah, that kind of thing is always interesting to me, so if it won't make it take too ridiculously much longer for you to take pics and give some commentary on the process, it'd be cool to see. Is it not possible to do the timing belt with the engine in the car, or is it just a "might as well take the engine out to do this because both the T-belt and the head gaskets will be easier that way?"

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    Yeah, that kind of thing is always interesting to me, so if it won't make it take too ridiculously much longer for you to take pics and give some commentary on the process, it'd be cool to see. Is it not possible to do the timing belt with the engine in the car, or is it just a "might as well take the engine out to do this because both the T-belt and the head gaskets will be easier that way?"
    Yeah my thought on documenting it was that there's already a half million how-to's around on this including video (which I am NOT going to do), but sometimes it's cool to see somebody I "know" doing something rather than somebody I don't. So kinda depends on if others are interested. I've documented the builds on my service trucks on WeldingWeb, but that's a little more one-off than this.

I figured I'd just go ahead and deal with both at the same time because my passengers are a bunch of whiny britches who are always complaining about the smell of burning oil off the exhaust

My excuse to not deal with this has been that I'm waiting for time to do the t-belt. So now I kinda have to. And yeah, although I understand that the t-belt is easy in the car, I figured why not just tear it down and do both at the same time on my workbench. Plus I have *got* to get that bike done; I basically lost my entire riding season because it wasn't top priority. This also forces me to get those forks rebuilt and back on the bike. I think I have to turn one of my sockets down to get a properly sized seal driver and then I'm good to go on that.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    If it's a manual, "while you're in there," you should install the throwout bearing upgrade sleeve on the transmission input shaft extension on the transmission case.

I suspect it's not a turbo, in which case the read won't be half as much fun as it could be.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    If it's a manual, "while you're in there," you should install the throwout bearing upgrade sleeve on the transmission input shaft extension on the transmission case.

I suspect it's not a turbo, in which case the read won't be half as much fun as it could be.
    Nope and nope. It's a base model 2.5 auto. Not only ugly, but boring as a plus. If it wasn't so darn handy, I'd get rid of it; I have a thing about ugly cars and this is the ugliest I've ever owned by far. I think it even makes the old $200 Reliant K I used to have look good.

Site Supporter
    Pulling the motor in a n.a Subaru is a price of cake. I would welcome if you had the time to document it pictures and a story. But there are a million out there. So if you don’t. It’s nothing lost
    Last edited by camel; 12-20-2020 at 05:02 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by camel View Post
    Pulling the motor in a n.a Subaru is a price of cake. I would welcome if you had the time to document it pictures and a story. But there are a million out there. So if you don’t. It’s nothing lost
    If I do, it'll be in it's own thread and formatted something like this:

https://weldingweb.com/vbb/showthrea...)-Truck-Thread

If y'all can stand that, I'll do it.

Site Supporter
    Please do.

I owned a Z32, non-turbo, and really enjoyed that car. It was my first proper front engine rear wheel drive sports car.

Whatever the new model costs, it's more than I can afford for quite a while. Hopefully someone here gets one and I can live vicariously.

My cousin had the Infiniti G35 Coupe and it was pretty cool but for some reason the 350/370Z never really blew my skirt up.

Anyone looking at these new Zs?

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I recently sold the second sports car I've owned in SE TX, having confirmed my earlier conclusion that owning a sports car is pointless when the nearest candidate for a decent driving road is ~3 1/2 hours away. If the production version of that new Z looks pretty much like that and still has sidewalls instead of reflecting a misguided belief that tires are a bad thing, I would be seriously into it if I lived in a place where the roads had curves.

Also, dropping this link here as well as in the "Irrational Desires" thread. This view in particular would be even sexier with Michelins, but that's something I know how to change.

https://www.cyanracing.com/volvo-p18...lvo-p1800-cyan

Name:  p1800cyan_9_crop_web.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  54.1 KB

And because I can't find the photo of a silver P1800 with a blonde wearing silver that I remember from some French magazine in high school, here's Raquel Welch leaning on one.

Name:  3940c61dc9f4a3e1ec2198e6b7de0578.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  36.5 KB
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 12-25-2020 at 10:42 PM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List