Page 49 of 190 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999149 ... LastLast

Thread: The Semi-Unofficial Pistol-Forum Car geek, gearhead, hot rodder, and vehicle thread

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Every time these discussions about relatively inexpensive, sporty, fun to drive, RWD, manual transmission cars come up I just always come back to "Miata".

People are still doing nutso stuff to them
    https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...mx-5-miata-29/
    I agree 100%

The new(2019+) cars are spectacular. If you can deal with the size it's hard to find anything else that drives like it and doesn't cost at least 2x as much.

The biggest competition to new miatas are used miatas. They are typically well maintained and low mileage. I'm waiting for the 19+ cars to drop below $20k, at which point I'll seem out a well maintained one in red.

Site Supporter
    The new miatas are the poor. mans porche that’s serviceable at the dealer. Not that there not fun. They are a blast.

Quote Originally Posted by Wicked City View Post
    How about Korea? Kia Stinger GT, if you can sacrifice the stick requirement.

Or the upcoming Hyundai Elantra N, which will likely have less polarizing styling than the Sti/Evo/Civic Type R. It will come in manual and probably DCT:
    https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...ototype-drive/
    I think that the Stinger is underrated.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Informed speculation is that the stop sale is a consequence of the attached class-action lawsuit, recently filed in Cali, on behalf of two owners who assert they did not get the actual emissions levels they were sold, due to a "defeat device" installed by Porsche.

Will have to see where this goes.
    Seriously? This is why we can't have nice things.

I need to buy 2 jugs of oil. Can you believe these cars take 9 quarts of oil?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    All is not well in Porsche land.

Model year 2012-2016 911s and other models with Sport Chrono on the attached notice, have been issued a formal stop sale at Porsche dealers across the US. This means that certain models including 911s with Sport Chrono cannot be bought (traded in) nor sold at PCNA dealers until the stop sale is lifted.

Attachment 63970

To say this is causing a bit of a ripple over at my p-car forum is an understatement.

Informed speculation is that the stop sale is a consequence of the attached class-action lawsuit, recently filed in Cali, on behalf of two owners who assert they did not get the actual emissions levels they were sold, due to a "defeat device" installed by Porsche.

Will have to see where this goes.
    Sanctimonious idle rich fuckheads with nothing better to do than virtue signal by suing the maker of their luxury sports car over... virtue signalling?

Only in Cali.

Quote Originally Posted by rayrevolver View Post

Seriously.

Keep an eye out for NAPA sales; I snagged 20 bottles of M1 last time they had one for $5 something a bottle IIRC. And a free NAPA Trucker’s hat.

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    Sanctimonious idle rich fuckheads with nothing better to do than virtue signal by suing the maker of their luxury sports car over... virtue signalling?

Only in Cali.
    Ayup. Those two are not real popular. Still, we’ll have to see where it goes. If it’s proven Porsche did in fact put in an emissions defeat device in the NA 911s, it’s not going to end well.

If Porsche did put an emission defeat in - and didn't issue a TSB "firmware update" for all affected models in the wake of Dieselgate...I just lack the words.

You have to know at Porsche that every VAG product is going to get a scrutinized eye by someone.

--

Speaking of virtue signaling stupidity - this piece in @JRB's favorite car rag, Jalopnik - where the author rides a Harley Livewire from LA to Reno - https://jalopnik.com/i-took-a-harley...-ev-1845749463 - serves to underscore how charging infrastructure for electric vehicles is still a decade behind.

Also, how going all electric means a real loss of real-time efficiency and range feedback.

Also, this piece underscores why Jalopnik sucks. The author didn't even pack a spare portable power pack to charge his devices. Frankly, I read the piece and was disgusted by how ill prepared the author was to undertake such a journey. But I was raised (and have) an extremely independent mindset. I find the very idea of relying on random acts of kindness to be antithetical to having a driver's license. The whole idea is to be independent...

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post

Only in Cali.
    If true, I think fraud is a big deal - especially for a company that already got caught lying about meeting regulatory standards.

Quote Originally Posted by rayrevolver View Post

My car takes 9.8. WTF, might have just as well made it 10. What, did they think I might want a leftover swig for myself once I was done???

User Tag List