Page 37 of 191 FirstFirst ... 2735363738394787137 ... LastLast

Thread: The Semi-Unofficial Pistol-Forum Car geek, gearhead, hot rodder, and vehicle thread

Outfitting the garage - I bought this today - https://www.ebay.com/itm/174245799186 - It's Stanley 746, which based on the logo was made sometime between 1934 and 1953 or so (they made 746s prior to '34 but they have the Stanley "sweet heart" logo, as opposed to block script). Importantly, I wanted a clamp-on vise, with jaws at least 3" wide and as big an opening as I could get, the 746 gives me about 4-4.5" of opening with 3" jaws. Nobody makes a vise like this today that isn't made in China junk.

My work bench is going to be an iron based, hard wood table from an old bar in the Back of the Yards neighborhood here in Chicago. It's got iron trimming around it and the thing assembled weighs about 60-pounds. It's not going to be the greatest work bench ever, but I have it sitting in my storage unit and I know it will handle anything I can throw at it for now, it's just a bit on the small side.

I also moved an old Hoosier cabinet hutch to use as storage. A piece I bought at the same time as the bar table for 20 bucks. Wife and I painted it and used it to store dog treats and toys for the last couple of years. But recently replaced it with a new piece of furniture. So, now it has made its way out to the garage to provide some basic storage. In the process of moving that thing on my hand truck, I managed to hit a bump coming into the garage and the handtruck wobbled one way, I wobbled the other, and I torqued the living shit out of my elbow, started swelling immediately. Fortunately, some ice and I've got full range of motion though stiff and a few minutes ago I felt it pop back into place, hopefully in a couple of days it'll be okay. Off to a good start for not injuring myself working in the garage.

Donkervoort D8 GTO-JD70 road car pulls 2G's of lateral acceleration

I'll be blunt, I don't believe it, at least not on the skid-pad.

Not when some of the most evolved hypercars with amazing grip cannot best 1.25gs on the skid-pad. Shifter karts with power-to-weight-to-grip ratios that are typically only bested by F1 cars can't tick over 1.5gs. In fact, F1 cars can't break 2gs on the skid-pad.

Perhaps Donkervoort is skewing the numbers a bit, by using lateral Gs of acceleration detected on a course (which can and often do exceed the numbers of a skid-pad). But by that virtue, a Spec Miata can best 3gs and can be street legal. Which....is why we have a skid-pad and use skid-pad numbers, along with 0-60 mph or 0-100 kmh numbers to compare acceleration and performance.

I'll be stunned if the D8 GTO-JD70 Roadster actually bests 1.3 on the skid-pad. Who wants to sponsor me to find out?

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    You're right, that has to be a peak number. Just tells you to whom they intend to market.

Brakes are a little weird looking.

First time I remember hearing of them was in the late '90s, early '00s, when they were using 1.8t engines.

On the good side, they're Dutch, so they might have put enough room in the thing for me to get in it. I had to wait a long time after I literally couldn't fit in a Lotus 7 (not for lack of flexibility - my bones were simply too long to be fed in) to watch a short friend be unable to swing his leg over my Husky and have the world even out.

I used to be into stuff like this, but I think it stopped mattering when you could just buy an Elise. Like the Hachi stopped really mattering when you could just buy a WRX or Evo.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    ....I wanted a clamp-on vise, with jaws at least 3" wide and as big an opening as I could get, the 746 gives me about 4-4.5" of opening with 3" jaws.....
    Decent looking vise. Just don't try to use that anvil-looking thing on it as an actual anvil, or you'll screw it all up. Strictly light duty. Also I expect you noticed, but your clamp screw is missing the pad. You're going to want to make one of those or you'll never get the vise to stay still.

Clamp-on vises like that are strictly a specialty item, and I've never needed one, but I can see the utility. Nowadays hobbyists build 2" receivers into their tables and mount the vises, bench grinders, etc onto 2" tubes so they can quickly change them out but they're guaranteed solid. Again, not my cup of tea and my vises are all bolted down solid. Also not a hobbyist.

If you like vises, check out this thread I started years ago on WeldingWeb:

https://weldingweb.com/vbb/showthrea...ch-Vise-Thread

Quote Originally Posted by TBone550 View Post
    Decent looking vise. Just don't try to use that anvil-looking thing on it as an actual anvil, or you'll screw it all up. Strictly light duty. Also I expect you noticed, but your clamp screw is missing the pad. You're going to want to make one of those or you'll never get the vise to stay still.

Clamp-on vises like that are strictly a specialty item, and I've never needed one, but I can see the utility. Nowadays hobbyists build 2" receivers into their tables and mount the vises, bench grinders, etc onto 2" tubes so they can quickly change them out but they're guaranteed solid. Again, not my cup of tea and my vises are all bolted down solid. Also not a hobbyist.

If you like vises, check out this thread I started years ago on WeldingWeb:

https://weldingweb.com/vbb/showthrea...ch-Vise-Thread
    Yes, I actually have a clamp screw pad already here. And the "anvil" wouldn't ever be used for anything more than straightening thin gauge sheet metal or aluminum and even then, unlikely, since I have sheet metal brakes (inherited from my father), which will do a nicer job.

I would have built a more serious workbench and gotten something to bolt down, but there is a distinct possibility I'll be packing up my garage in <9-months. So, I figured, a clamp on would give me about 80% of what I need (usually just to hold something while I grind/file/sand it) without being a major pain in the ass to move.

Of course...USPS delivered my vise to some other place, not here, and can't tell me where it is, so I can go collect it and have it. I filed a report with them yesterday - maybe they can solve the problem in the next couple of weeks. Otherwise, I'll have to file a claim with Paypal and Ebay. My least favorite thing to do.

___

I'm not sure how I feel about the 2" receiver hitch idea. The hitches have quite a bit of slip and slop in them, in my experience. It would be a good space saving measure, I suppose, but it's not what I would want as a permanent solution.

Site Supporter
    ....I'm not sure how I feel about the 2" receiver hitch idea. The hitches have quite a bit of slip and slop in them, in my experience. It would be a good space saving measure, I suppose, but it's not what I would want as a permanent solution.
    Yeah, if you leave the receiver as it came from the factory, it's a true crap idea. BUT, if you drill one hole each on the horizontal and vertical axes of the receiver and weld nuts to the outside of it, now you have a place to mount jackscrews to take up the slack, and poof! A solid mount.

Then you could weld 4" pieces of 3/8" rod across the heads of your jackscrew bolts, and you don't have to use tools to tighten them for a quick job. Want to really pound on it, you've still got a bolt head there with wrench flats.

At least that's how I would do it if I wanted a removable vise using that idea.

Not when some of the most evolved hypercars with amazing grip cannot best 1.25gs on the skid-pad. Shifter karts with power-to-weight-to-grip ratios that are typically only bested by F1 cars can't tick over 1.5gs. In fact, F1 cars can't break 2gs on the skid-pad.
    Yeah, the aerodynamic devices that allow it to pull 2G of lateral acceleration must be invisible or something.

Perhaps Donkervoort is skewing the numbers a bit, by using lateral Gs of acceleration detected on a course (which can and often do exceed the numbers of a skid-pad). But by that virtue, a Spec Miata can best 3gs and can be street legal. Which....is why we have a skid-pad and use skid-pad numbers, along with 0-60 mph or 0-100 kmh numbers to compare acceleration and performance.

I'll be stunned if the D8 GTO-JD70 Roadster actually bests 1.3 on the skid-pad. Who wants to sponsor me to find out?
    I love that they're using a nice engine, not some run of the mill bowtie.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=570903

Captive Test Fleet Camaro ZL1 that escaped into the wild.

The ZL1 is the factory supercharged version. That's a lot of car for $25k, particularly if you don't mind the branded title.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

I never thought I'd want an all electric car. But this makes me want one.

Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

User Tag List