Page 36 of 187 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686136 ... LastLast

Thread: The Semi-Unofficial Pistol-Forum Car geek, gearhead, hot rodder, and vehicle thread

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Do you find the two-bulb LEDs are as bright as your old fluorescent bulbs were?
    moreso.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    This will make your blood pump.

It’s nice to see old race cars driven well.

Years ago I read an article in R&T about the Laguna vintage weekend. Most of the folks with expensive rare classics were lapping the track like a fast parade, and some of them were appalled at a group with an original Testarossa who were pushing it hard — winding out to redline, drifting the corners, and basically driving it like it was intended to be driven. The owners turned out to be a family who said “We built it up from a pile of junk. If we wreck it, we’ll rebuild it again. Right now we’re having fun with it!”. I thought that was a great attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    It’s nice to see old race cars driven well.

Years ago I read an article in R&T about the Laguna vintage weekend. Most of the folks with expensive rare classics were lapping the track like a fast parade, and some of them were appalled at a group with an original Testarossa who were pushing it hard — winding out to redline, drifting the corners, and basically driving it like it was intended to be driven. The owners turned out to be a family who said “We built it up from a pile of junk. If we wreck it, we’ll rebuild it again. Right now we’re having fun with it!”. I thought that was a great attitude.
    Twice I've been fortunate to attend the Monterey Historics - I've never seen anything less than folks driving hard. It makes me wince to see someone throw a '66 427 Cobra around a track like it's stolen, but it is also amazing. I don't have that kind of money and likely never will (come on money market account!), but the folks who own these things, at least these days, drive them very hard and there are a number of them that do end up crashed.

That said, there is a lot of on-track courtesy and full-blown door-to-door usually doesn't happen in the classes with super expensive cars. However, the classes that contain old MGs and moderately old Porsches are often packed and those dudes aren't screwing around, they are in it to win it and door to door, rubbin' is racing, scratches and bent fenders, are the order of the day. Don't race with those dudes if you want your car to be pristine afterwards.

It begins!

Attachment 55311
    At first I saw a target hanger in a basement shooting range...

Site Supporter
    You can't have too much light in a working garage. Paint the walls and floor white.
    With liberty and justice for all...must be 18, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply, not available in all states.

I've still got my first truck, car, and airplane.
    1) 1953 Dodge M37 Weapons Carrier with big block Chevy given to me in 1962
    2) 1955A T-Bird bought in 1965
    3) 1946 Piper J3 bought in 1965

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Twice I've been fortunate to attend the Monterey Historics - I've never seen anything less than folks driving hard. It makes me wince to see someone throw a '66 427 Cobra around a track like it's stolen, but it is also amazing. I don't have that kind of money and likely never will (come on money market account!), but the folks who own these things, at least these days, drive them very hard and there are a number of them that do end up crashed.
    Adam Carolla has talked about this in the context of one of his old Porsches that he races.

As I remember the numbers, it's worth about $2M. If he wrecks it, it can be rebuilt from a VIN tag for <$500K. I might be low on the value and high on the rebuild cost, per his discussion. So it's impossible to total it. On the other hand, it's also essentially impossible to find a company that will write an insurance policy for racing it.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Bart Carter View Post
    You can't have too much light in a working garage. Paint the walls and floor white.
    For concrete and masonry you might want to use something like Drylok to help cut down on moisture.

Anybody try any of these LED shop lights like these?

https://www.amazon.com/Hykolity-Link...227954&sr=8-12

Garage is 21’x7.5’ with a 9’ ceiling. I’m basically trying to figure out if they cast enough light when hung at 7.5’ish feet above the floor and ~5 feet apart. I’ll have a drop light for closer work, but I want enough ambient light to work.
    I picked up THESE last year for our garage and it made a huge difference compared to the old fluorescent and incandescent fixtures. The garage is a 2 car garage from the early '60s with a ~7' ceiling.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Flying Flames of (Sea)Fury

I recommend listening on something with good speakers...

A night run performed on the unlimited air racer 'September Fury' during the 2008 Reno Air Races. This was done to check for any coil issues which couldn't be seen during the day. You can see a few that weren't working correctly by the dead cylinders.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

User Tag List