Page 27 of 190 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777127 ... LastLast

Thread: The Semi-Unofficial Pistol-Forum Car geek, gearhead, hot rodder, and vehicle thread

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post

Whatthehell is a Kia Stinger $53000?!!!
    One of the younger guys at work has one. The good news is they depreciate about as quickly as toilet paper once used: https://jalopnik.com/pre-owned-kia-s...lue-1838658860
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

The trouble with Kias is that they are Kias.

Once I went to a Kia dealership to look at one of the turbo Forte coupes. Ten minutes was all I needed to know I didn't want the experience of buying a Kia.

One of my good friends bought a Rio recently, with some of the options, it came out to 17k plus tax and title. I asked him why he didn't buy a Honda Fit and his response was, "The Kia has a better warranty." - After 12 trips back to the dealer for niggling issues in the first 20k miles, he went by the Honda dealership to look at Fits. Finally realizing why Kia has a 10-year/100k warranty...because they need them.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    If someone wants to blow their wad on an engine swap for an old school Datsun...this could be the hotness - http://www.speedhunters.com/2020/01/...ell-this-rb28/ Of course...it'll be 30-40k and you could build a lot of car for that money.

But an old school 240Z with this engine + wide body kit = Fucking Awesome.

Way cooler than an LSx swapped Z. But probably not as fast or as reliable and certainly not as cheap.
    There's only two I6's that should replace the L24/L28 that's in an old Z: a 2JZ, or the OS Giken TC24.
    Having supported an RB powered S13 in Formula D, they're miserably unreliable and the R32/33/34 GT-R's were awesome because of their AWD system, despite the RB26, not *because* of the RB26. A friend of mine saw a 25 year legal 1990 R32 GT-R for sale in his area with classic early RB26 oil system problems for cheap... We figured a built K24 should fit nicely in that space and it wouldn't be hard to make bolt up to the GT-R's driveline. Be a nice way to drop a lot of weight out of the front end of that car while keeping AWD....

But yes, Red ///M cars tug at the heartstrings, even though I lean more toward Japanese cars.
    Nice score, @Triggerf16!!! Please keep us posted on your driving impressions once you get around to putting some proper miles on it!

@RevolverRob, dude, you gotta quit hating yourself! You're pining for an RX-3 and a Renault R5 Turbo, but refuse to own a Kia because they're twitchy and unreliable? I'm starting to think you just hate cars that actually run and *stay running*
    I'm kidding, of course. Truth be told I'd rather have an R5 or RX-3 over a Kia myself. But there's a LONG list of cars I'd prefer before an R5 or RX-3.
    But I'm hardly one to talk right now, or even give you a hard time - I've had the perverse thought of buying a decently clean Mitsubishi 3000GT SL (5MT of course) and installing a set of those Orbis electric-driven rear wheels and hybrid system in it, and driving that as my 'hybrid' Possibly doing a VR4 engine swap but keeping that FWD so the overall combo is lighter than a VR4, but mitigates FWD turbo traction issues, maybe gets better mileage, maybe turns into a gigantic twitchy 30 year old Mitsubishi clusterfuck in my garage that seems neat but never runs... who knows, right? Lol.
    Another random thought was the discovery of Kumho V720's that come in 355/30/19. Yes. 355. That'd take a hell of a widebody for a Supra or any other car I own to even pray to accommodate it, along with custom-built 3pc wheels that were 19x12.5 or 19x13 or so. God bless the insanity that is the 5th gen Viper ACR's for coming with a factory 355 rear tire!

@Medusa - dude, you can't talk about an E30 built like that without sharing pics!!! Where's the pics!!?!?!

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    This girl’s v8 e30 is already pictured in this thread.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    Wait, we have ANOTHER girl e30 race driver on P-F?

Ah- just checked and see that you are one and the same, Ms. Racer-Formerly-Known-As-Rabid-Butterfly.

Cool to still have you... just updating my program to keep up with the players.

Site Supporter
    Yeah, I missed the name change - my apologies for the 'dude' and redundant pic request

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    Wait, we have ANOTHER girl e30 race driver on P-F?

Ah- just checked and see that you are one and the same, Ms. Racer-Formerly-Known-As-Rabid-Butterfly.

Cool to still have you... just updating my program to keep up with the players.
    Yeah it was r a p i d, thanks, pyro.

I had figured keeping the same signature lines would have made it easy. Apparently, that wasn’t the case for some.

Site Supporter
    Yeah it was r a p i d, thanks, pyro.

I had figured keeping the same signature lines would have made it easy. Apparently, that wasn’t the case for some.
    I have signatures and avatars disabled, since I'm accessing P-F mostly from a DoD owned PC and I'll never know who's peeking over my shoulder, literally and figuratively. :\

probably going to piss the the antique wrench turners including this here, but seems an appropriate place to me...

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...onfirmed-2021/

Guy spends $140,000 and 7 years building the "Ultimate GTI" - News at 11 - it's still a GTI.

What's hilarious to me is - he did absolutely EVERYTHING the hard way. EVERYTHING. He estimates he spent 500-1000 hours on body work, including nearly 150 for stripping the undercoat.

Dude...acid dipping exists. You had the whole car stripped down, two days at the acid dip place and two one-way trips on a flat bed if you don't have a trailer...you could have saved about 145 hours of labor off the top.

I just don't know. I see things like this as truly wasted effort. The whole approach to building this car was an engineering exercise gone wrong. It seems like a mixture of poor original planning with vision and mission creep.

Sure it costs a lot to build a car from scratch. But it costs even more if your approach is to buy the most expensive everythings and then assemble it, disassemble it, and reassemble it three times.

Also, I cruised the dudes cost spreadsheet and homey spent $2200 for the Porsche dealership to do his suspension alignment and steering rack alignment. Dude...you can put in a hideous digital dash, but you can't figure out how to set a fucking alignment with a set of gauges? GTFO...

User Tag List