Page 178 of 191 FirstFirst ... 78128168176177178179180188 ... LastLast
Results 1,771 to 1,780 of 1901

Thread: The Semi-Unofficial Pistol-Forum Car geek, gearhead, hot rodder, and vehicle thread

Quote Originally Posted by WDR View Post
    scolded me when I went to lock in the hubs before we left.
    A little Taco (back before they were even Tacos...) in 2WD would be quite the indoctrination

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    A little Taco (back before they were even Tacos...) in 2WD would be quite the indoctrination
    I saw a Taco that had slid into the ditch in a turn the other day. We had a little snow and the roads were wet with slush in places. Maybe didn't lock the hubs? That turn is famous for sucking people into the ditch.

Driver was covering his face so I couldn't see who he was when I drove by in my Subaru. I've become a big fan of all wheel drive.

Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post
    That turn is famous for sucking people into the ditch.
    Saw this kinda creepy one yesterday:

We live in Dayton, OH and funny coincidence that we were just talking about Bill Stepp yesterday...

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post

Going way too fast with that big load in those conditions. Towing in snow can get sketchy fast. Though at least he didn't panic and jackknife even worse.

That's an expensive day. Ooof.

Going way too fast with that big load in those conditions. Towing in snow can get sketchy fast. Though at least he didn't panic and jackknife even worse.

That's an expensive day. Ooof.
    yea. I do everything I can to avoid towing in inclement weather.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Great job by that big rig driver! Blind corner + snow and he still got it stopped far ahead of the collision (with a load secured well enough in advance to stay in place during the hard stop).

In his next video he said "I'd put it into 4wd High and thought I'd be fine."

I can't tell you how many people think 4wd/awd gives them a magic ticket to ignore weather...
    Last edited by 0ddl0t; 01-09-2024 at 04:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    yea. I do everything I can to avoid towing in inclement weather.
    Towing in snow can get sketchy fast.
    Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    I can't tell you how many people think 4wd/awd gives them a magic ticket to ignore weather...
    I have done a fair amount of towing in the snow, 4WD is a huge control advantage, but can also just be the rope you need to hang yourself. Without it you would still just be parked somewhere, unable to move. But I have never towed something that big, that trailer might flirt with being double the weight of the truck. It sure looks like it just pushed it downhill, physics didn't seem to care where he pointed the front wheels. Bummer when a big adventure has such an unhappy ending.

wife face-timed me from Jackson Hole last year. "the rental car won't move. we came out of the hotel and it was covered in snow and now it just spins".

Googled up how to put whatever she was driving in 4L (I think it was a previous Gen 4-Runner) and sent her the instructions.

and then asked her not to do any more driving in the snow! (and also reminded her she thought we didn't need a 4x4 when she made the reservation!)
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

In his next video he said "I'd put it into 4wd High and thought I'd be fine."

Given how much slower the steering response is in the FJ when it's in 4Hi I would not think that, at all. I have extra traction, but not extra braking or steering input...the two things you need to keep a trailer under control.

We got like 1/4" of snow the other day and out came the Jeep dudes thinking they somehow had magic car control. My house sits at a T-Intersection as the end of the dead end. It's not a problem, we have a substantial retaining wall for someone to hit. Jeep is coming down the hill to the stop sign, hits the brakes on unplowed/unsalted streets on a 34-degree day (i.e., icy) and starts sliding. Panics, cranks the wheel, the back catches and propels him into the ditch next to the stop sign. Fortunately for him, it's a fairly shallow ditch. 4Lo and some pushing by his passenger and he was able to get unstuck. But it was pretty funny to watch it...Like dude, you live in New York...come on man.

___

Uhh I don't have much to contribute on the car front, except I post Sunbeam updates on my IG semi-regularly - https://www.instagram.com/revolverrob/

These days, it's mostly cutting rotten metal out and getting things right for welding in not rotten metal.

User Tag List