Page 127 of 192 FirstFirst ... 2777117125126127128129137177 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,270 of 1915

Thread: The Semi-Unofficial Pistol-Forum Car geek, gearhead, hot rodder, and vehicle thread

poking the paint scratch people, to see if they have any "oops" paints I can buy at a discount, to practice with before I paint things that need painting.

I do love the disclaimer on their site though...

Important note:
    Because these colors are so old (2004), we cannot guarantee a match. There are No Refunds and we recommend you send us a part for custom matching. We will not remix this paint even if the color does not match.

No worries. I don't expect touch up or repair paint that's mixed new to be a dead match for 18 year old arterial fungus pockmarked OEM paint. I do however want to at least paint the RED replacement fender the correct WHITE, so it's closer than not.
    also going to try some experiments in saving the damaged clear coat. thinking of trying the scuff and shoot clear on method. if I can at least get a smooth surface out of it, it'll be better for getting a wrap done in the future.
    'course if the fender repaint job works out well, we might get froggy and just scuff and shoot the whole car, a panel or 2 at a time.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Hammertime
    I just had a nice drive in a 2018 GEN six Camaro SS LT1 6 speed.

Very nice car and would be an excellent daily driver.

It felt significantly more refined than my 2008 base Z51 Corvette. And a bit easier to drive. But that is probably just 10 years of platform development.

Initially I hated the visibility but quickly adapted. I can’t say there was anything I really disliked about the experience with the car.

It felt a bit boring compared to the Vette. Certainly capable though.

With choices like this I don’t see why one would bother paying any extra for a euro car.

Apparently the performance numbers for this versus a M4 BMW are pretty close.

I would like to drive a modern Mustang some time.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    With choices like this I don’t see why one would bother paying any extra for a euro car.
    Did you ever test drive a newer Cayman?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Did you ever test drive a newer Cayman?
    Nope. I am absolutely sure it’s awesome though.

Adding: to me part of the equation is performance per dollar and while I have no disrespect at all for the incredible driving experience Porsche offers, it has to pencil out for me in the denominator.

Nothing touches the Vette for bang for buck.

My 14 YO base C6 has better power to weight than a Cayman GT4 and pulls 1.2G in corners with good tires and alignment, and gets 28mpg on the highway. I am pretty dang happy with that for a 25k invested.

If I didn’t have to think about price I think the Cayman would be my car. There is so much to love in it.

Also this is interesting:

Name:  4F9BA7CA-DB2E-4808-B916-87D4FACC9EBD.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  43.0 KB
    Last edited by Doc_Glock; 11-12-2022 at 09:20 PM.

Nope. I am absolutely sure it’s awesome though.

Adding: to me part of the equation is performance per dollar and while I have no disrespect at all for the incredible driving experience Porsche offers, it has to pencil out for me in the denominator.
    Right, but it's quite a jump from that to say "I don't know why anyone would consider any of the higher priced euro cars".

Without getting into a back-and-forth: Camaros and Corvettes represent the best value. There's still plenty of reasons to buy something else.

Hammertime
    Right, but it's quite a jump from that to say "I don't know why anyone would consider any of the higher priced euro cars".

Without getting into a back-and-forth: Camaros and Corvettes represent the best value. There's still plenty of reasons to buy something else.
    I am not interested in a back and forth either. I love Porsche. I wish I had a lot more time driving them than just a few hours. I still have a 20yo old BMW I love to drive. I am also sort of astonished at the performance of these GM cars. Didn’t expect that at all.

My son works at a dealership where he drives quite a few different cars and any time he rolls around in a Porsche invariably I will get a call about how he feels they make the best cars on the market right now.

What is it that drew you to the Cayman? From my only experience in a 2001ish Boxster I remember the brakes and steering being just about perfect.

I am not interested in a back and forth either. I love Porsche. I wish I had a lot more time driving them than just a few hours. I still have a 20yo old BMW I love to drive. I am also sort of astonished at the performance of these GM cars. Didn’t expect that at all.

My son works at a dealership where he drives quite a few different cars and any time he rolls around in a Porsche invariably I will get a call about how he feels they make the best cars on the market right now.

What is it that drew you to the Cayman? From my only experience in a 2001ish Boxster I remember the brakes and steering being just about perfect.
    Well, to start, I've always been a euro trash guy. First handgun I bought was an HK. First car was a beat-to-shit 1985 BMW 535i with a cracked windshield. First car I truly fell in love with how it drove was a Porsche 914, and shortly thereafter an early 2000s Lotus Elise. I'm a bit of a history geek as well, so the fact that part of my German family came from the Stuttgart environs always tickled me silly. Lastly, I just like small cars.

So, I kind of wanted something that was a modern daily driver version of the 914 and Elise. The looks grabbed me as well. The only thing I wish they did was give it oval 911 headlights.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar

Sounds like someone can't grow a proper mullet...
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

I've found no correlation between how much fun a car is to drive and how well it performs on paper in a straight line or on a continuous arc. You could even take the same car and equip it with an automatic or dct and it'll surely be quicker to 60 & 1/4 mile, but they'll never be able to recapture the endorphins lost from executing a heal toe trail braking downshift into a slight 4 wheel drift as you navigate a decreasing radius turn. Most seriously fast, yet obtainable, cars feel disconnected to me - like I'm standing on a treadmill when someone cranks it on top speed and my body is left lurching behind the action...

Granted the Corvette isn't one of those disconnected cars, but it never quite felt like an extension of my body like a Cayman or even a Miata.

User Tag List