Page 102 of 191 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112152 ... LastLast
Results 1,011 to 1,020 of 1901

Thread: The Semi-Unofficial Pistol-Forum Car geek, gearhead, hot rodder, and vehicle thread

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Since you're comfortable with Subaru mechanicals, I'd look into the Toyota GR-86 and whatever Subaru's version of it is, if they have one for the new generation.

Non-turbo Subarus are considerably less brutal to work on than turbo Subarus.

I had real problems with the seats when I looked at one back in 2013. Would not be able to consider one for that reason, but I'm not normal physically.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCarl View Post
    My question is, what if the Miata doesn't work. What's next on the suggestion list that hits many of the same checkboxes?
    Assuming the price needs to be comparable to a Miata, I'd say the Subaru BRZ/Toyota 86, Subaru WRX or VW GTI.

Others to consider would be the Ford Mustang, Dodge Charger, Dodge Challenger, and Chevy Camaro which in base models aren't too much more than the Miata and BRZ....though to be honest, those platforms in particular really benefit from an extra $10-15k compared to buying the base models, and if you add $10-15k to your target price then you're opening up a bunch of other options like the WRX STI, Civic Type R, Audi S3, VW Golf R, BMW 2-series, etc.....at which point you need to narrow down your item list again.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Background: wife has a mini-van, for her home business, it fits the 5 of us. My 2016 Subaru Outback no longer comfortably fits me, her, and the 15yo boy, and the 2 younger girls.

So, we have suitable family transportation. The younger girls are still in car seats, but ageing out of even that. She pointed out to me that I am not required to have a car that will move all/most of the family around.

Item: she doesn't really like driving the Outback.

Item: she'd prefer to not use her car to get groceries, do errands on those times when she's not carting kids around.

Item: I commute ~70 miles round trip 2 days a week, because after working from home for >2 years we can't be trusted at home any more than that. Most of that is interstate, last few miles congested city traffic in not-quite rush hour density.

Item: she would like to solve her issues by me changing vehicles to, quote: "something more fun [for me] to drive."

Having read this thread in it's entirety, I know the default answer is Miata. We will test drive a Miata, I'm honestly curious.

My question is, what if the Miata doesn't work. What's next on the suggestion list that hits many of the same checkboxes?
    How important is gas mileage? I like an obnoxious V8, and while I do average 20 MPG in our Z06 (which is quite a feat since I drive in sport and don't baby it) , many hot hatches can do much better than that. The Honda Civic Type R is a sharp looking car, though I've never driven or driven in one.

Item: I commute ~70 miles round trip 2 days a week, because after working from home for >2 years we can't be trusted at home any more than that. Most of that is interstate, last few miles congested city traffic in not-quite rush hour density.
    I hear ya. We've been told, "you (plural) have been more productive working from home than ever, now everyone come back in".

that's quite the spread on the WRX "base price" across trims. $32k for the base and $42k for the GT.

https://www.subaru.com/vehicles/wrx.html

https://www.subaru.com/compare/trims...ion=2022%20WRX

Doesn't appear that any of the trims gets you much in terms of measurable performance but the GT does have things that I suppose would appeal to the sporty-driving-minded (Recaro seats, electronic dampers, drive modes, "performance" transmission with paddle shifters, etc.).

I wouldn't mind having one as a daily, and I think I'd land on the "Limited" in that scenario.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I'd look into the Toyota GR-86 and whatever Subaru's version of it is
    In my case I am always on the lookout for what I might replace the Focus ST with, at some point it will probably be worn out, and I also seem to dig the BRZ. A Miata would be cool, but would you really run with the top down that much? For about 4.5yrs I commuted 65mi x 2, also mostly on the interstate, and am not that sure I would want to be doing that much with the top down.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I'd say the Subaru BRZ/Toyota 86, Subaru WRX or VW GTI.
    Others to consider would be the Ford Mustang, Dodge Charger, Dodge Challenger, and Chevy Camaro
    Maybe another factor might be location/weather and if FWD/AWD matters. I have snow tires for the Focus and really do not want AWD as much as I used to think I would.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    How important is gas mileage? I like an obnoxious V8, and while I do average 20 MPG in our Z06 (which is quite a feat since I drive in sport and don't baby it) , many hot hatches can do much better than that.
    And mileage is coupled with range, and I hated getting gas every 2.5 days. Some of the smaller cars are a little better for mileage, but then have a smaller tank. And the turbo cars are going to be best served with 93, though I think they all tolerate 89. My Focus gets 27-29mpg on road trips, and can probably go 340mi, just enough to get me home from Chicago without a fuel stop. I think the GTI is going to be the mileage champ, I understand them to routinely get over thirty.

Name:  John Surtees – Monaco GP.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  42.0 KB

John Surtees clipping the apex at Monaco
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    In my case I am always on the lookout for what I might replace the Focus ST with, at some point it will probably be worn out, and I also seem to dig the BRZ. A Miata would be cool, but would you really run with the top down that much? For about 4.5yrs I commuted 65mi x 2, also mostly on the interstate, and am not that sure I would want to be doing that much with the top down.

Maybe another factor might be location/weather and if FWD/AWD matters. I have snow tires for the Focus and really do not want AWD as much as I used to think I would.

When I had a Miata in SoCal, a nice drive with the top down was all the therapy one needed, and a heck of a lot cheaper. In SE TX, I almost never did it. I will never forget going for a drive one evening with the windows down after detailing the car that came after the Miata. I was able to smell all the different and interesting molds growing in each ditch I drove past.

My '99 Miata su-hucked on long, high speed drives. I would actually wear ear plugs. New ones are supposed to be much nicer, but I haven't spent time in them because I don't fit - even after all the years of telling my buddies who work for Mazda R&D to make sure the new one fit someone my size like every MR2 ever has done just fine.

My Miata had some decent Michelin all seasons on it when I got it. Also had the Torsen diff. I had it in snow several times with zero problem. Light and an LSD with good tires makes RWD work fine. Much better than heavy with worn all-terrains. Drove past guys spinning all four and going nowhere.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Yeah, there's so many ways to go with "something more fun to drive than an Outback that doesn't need to fit the whole family".

Do you go all-in on sportiness with a BRZ or Miata? Or something utilitarian and sporty like a WRX, Civic R, or GTI/Golf R? Or maybe a more traditional, larger coupe/sedan from the muscle car heritage segment?

Lots of different ways to go here with the wife's given metrics. Danger. Danger! Might want to get another consultation with her before going down any decision tree, given she might have a totally different idea of what you should be buying:

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Danger. Danger! Might want to get another consultation with her before going down any decision tree, given she might have a totally different idea of what you should be buying
    Back in 2006 I was driving a Gran Prix I got from my mom when she got her Mini, and my wife was driving our (then) late model Suburban. I started thinking I would be happier not being reliant on her vehicle to do anything utilitarian and was considering something like a Chevy Colorado. I went to drive one, and not sure I made it out of the lot, it was pretty lame. In a roundabout conversation with the sales guy (we were acquainted) we started talking about the new GXP, the Grand Prix with a 5.3L aluminum block V8. I drove one, it was a hoot, and I ended up with one. My wife flipped out, said she never liked those cars and couldn't believe I wanted one. She eventually came around to liking it, but that day, before I left for the dealership, she had said (no shit, true story) "I think you should look around and if you find something you like you should get it".

That's pure gold, @mmc45414

User Tag List