Page 101 of 191 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111151 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 1901

Thread: The Semi-Unofficial Pistol-Forum Car geek, gearhead, hot rodder, and vehicle thread

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...de-height.html

I take no responsibility for any of the information in that thread, but it seems to be people who have done it before.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I have made a slight change to the rear but not touched the front so not 100% sure. I think both front and rear but I will verify tomorrow morning.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    FWIW, I'm that guy who used to go camping in the desert with a variety of sporty cars that had larger wheels and lowered suspension. Didn't go fast, but I got there and back without damaging anything.

On the other hand, I've owned two sporty cars since moving to SE TX, and in both cases, decided that it just wasn't worth it around here. There are no good fun driving roads within hours. I've given up and bought an AWD box on wheels from a company known for making supremely reliable transportation.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I hear ya. Have you considered just raising the 'vette back up into its proper height (I'm assuming it's lowered) and going to fatter rubber on smaller wheels? I purposely stay away from low profiles tires on big rims due to this, not to mention purposely spec'ing a basic car which gives me the highest ride height. With this combo, at least, my Cayman has never scraped on anything, and I've never had trouble with the doors clearing curbs either.

If I had the money to blow, I'd be half tempted to rally mod my Porsche with a lift and big A/Ts just because..."reasons". It'd certainly be fun for rally cross. Something like this:

I would SO love to rock that as my winter car to drive to the Denver airport.
    As it is, it’s an E46 M3 with winter wheels and tires. And, of course, I’d already swapped to summer tires before we got 18” (no shit) of snow last weekend.
    But I’ll be dreaming of that rally Cayman tonight.

TLDR - I’ll be in my bunk.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    I would SO love to rock that as my winter car to drive to the Denver airport.
    As it is, it’s an E46 M3 with winter wheels and tires. And, of course, I’d already swapped to summer tires before we got 18” (no shit) of snow last weekend.
    But I’ll be dreaming of that rally Cayman tonight.

TLDR - I’ll be in my bunk.
    One of the top reasons I’m coming out your way is the distinct lack of Porsches! Don’t get me wrong - I like em, but it seems that pretty much everyone here who doesn’t drive a Tesla drives a Porsche.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    One of the top reasons I’m coming out your way is the distinct lack of Porsches! Don’t get me wrong - I like em, but it seems that pretty much everyone here who doesn’t drive a Tesla drives a Porsche.
    Yeah, not so much here.
    Subaru, Jeep, Volvo. The all-wheel drive cars of the Front Range.

Verified; Front and rear of a C7 are height adjustable.

SiL and BiL have this housing on their back porch and can’t remember what it goes to. He’s messed with Beetles over the years and their son has messed with Hondas and Beetles so the guess is it belongs to one of those 2 families.

Name:  54870442-D54B-4E40-A78A-9BBCFEB940F4.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  78.4 KB
    Name:  C0C0FFEF-DAFE-4AE9-B39D-C7EAC65129D3.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  72.5 KB
    Name:  F38AEB42-C037-4887-A670-41EA69F8EB7B.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  77.3 KB
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Site Supporter
    I just spent about ten days thrashing a 595 Abarth Turismo through the mountain hairpins of the Italian Dolomites and the Swiss Alps. The seating position is higher than in most sporty cars, and it’s roomy enough inside that you forget you’re in one of the smallest cars on the road (even in Europe), until you really push it in the curves (phrasing) and it handles like a small car should. Super fun.

Name:  4C88B54E-15B7-4F56-AA40-530D4C2033F1.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  102.0 KB

Also saw a smattering of other cool stuff not seen in the US:

Name:  38C38F05-E5D8-4668-9A33-9D6C04FBF1C6.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  36.0 KB
    Name:  E7337CAF-4510-44E2-9DD3-268855988CF1.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  63.7 KB
    Name:  26530B7D-777D-4A80-AF05-1A6DEA5CD3BE.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  46.9 KB
    Name:  98B04DC8-F4ED-4557-91FD-AD9B29F45A89.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  98.1 KB

Overshadowed by a nice Defender in the last photo is a cool little 3-door Land Cruiser. I saw a few of them over there.
    Last edited by Le Français; 06-21-2022 at 06:42 PM.

Wife wants me to get a more fun car

Background: wife has a mini-van, for her home business, it fits the 5 of us. My 2016 Subaru Outback no longer comfortably fits me, her, and the 15yo boy, and the 2 younger girls.

So, we have suitable family transportation. The younger girls are still in car seats, but ageing out of even that. She pointed out to me that I am not required to have a car that will move all/most of the family around.

Item: she doesn't really like driving the Outback.

Item: she'd prefer to not use her car to get groceries, do errands on those times when she's not carting kids around.

Item: I commute ~70 miles round trip 2 days a week, because after working from home for >2 years we can't be trusted at home any more than that. Most of that is interstate, last few miles congested city traffic in not-quite rush hour density.

Item: she would like to solve her issues by me changing vehicles to, quote: "something more fun [for me] to drive."

Having read this thread in it's entirety, I know the default answer is Miata. We will test drive a Miata, I'm honestly curious.

My question is, what if the Miata doesn't work. What's next on the suggestion list that hits many of the same checkboxes?

User Tag List