Page 67 of 188 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977117167 ... LastLast

Thread: The Semi-Unofficial Pistol-Forum Car geek, gearhead, hot rodder, and vehicle thread

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Dan, I think this is a case where you might want to hire a professional mobile detailer to come out and give the paint a good buff and going over with a clay bar and an application of sealant with an orbital buffer. Once that is done, it'll be a lot easier to maintain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    This. I spent $500 for a full paint restoration and ceramic coat by a mobile pro on the Z3 about three years ago and it is still stupid easy to just wash it.

I was mad about how much it cost initially, but at this point feel it was well worth the money.

Post Pic Dan. I drove an 88 GT for 13 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    Goes in next Thursday. I'll take before and after.
    Couldn't find the before on my phone. These are after - $250.00. I'm happy. New top next.

Name:  Mustang 1.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  100.4 KB

Name:  Mustang 5.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  72.5 KB
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Quote Originally Posted by Welder View Post
    PM sent, I should get there mid-morning.
    It was great meeting you sir. Hope you got back safely.

It (Corvettes at Carlisle) was quite a spectacular event. Also, the parade was something like I’ve never experienced before. Being part of 400+ Corvettes rolling through the town of thousands and thousands of people. Then parking on the street, and heading down to see the band. Also the band, called “that band“ were pretty darn good. Already looking forward to next year.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I'm kind of kicking around going to look at a Porsche Cayenne when I'm in the market next. I penciled out a 2021 Corvette LT2, and while I could do it by financing for 48 months pretty comfortably (and trading in my Camaro and emptying my next car fund) I just don't think it's worth it. I end up driving my truck a lot more than my Camaro as it is. Between weather considerations, pot hole handling ability, need to be able to do some very light off roading to get to my shooting spot or a given trailhead and I end up putting 3k miles a year on my Camaro, give or take 1k. The Corvette would see maybe 10-20% less than that due to being a 2 seater. It's a lot of money to have tied up in something I'd drive so little, and I look at the opportunity costs and just can't justify it.

At least on paper, a Cayenne seems like it checks a lot of boxes for me. Enough ground clearance for most logging trails/fire roads, cross a small ditch, drive through a field, climb out of a midwest pothole. Enough ride height to see better in traffic, which was something I didn't like about the C6 and C7 Corvette I test drove. The turbo is definitely fast enough to be fun. Fuel economy for road trips is on par with my Camaro.

It seems like kind of a "do it all" where I can drive it year round but still have sportscar level fun/performance. No shifting my own gears, though.

This is definitely in the embryonic stages, but given the Porsche love here I thought I'd ask if the Cayenne is a reasonable thing to own or if it's a money pit/reliability nightmare.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    It was great meeting you sir. Hope you got back safely.

It (Corvettes at Carlisle) was quite a spectacular event. Also, the parade was something like I’ve never experienced before. Being part of 400+ Corvettes rolling through the town of thousands and thousands of people. Then parking on the street, and heading down to see the band. Also the band, called “that band“ were pretty darn good. Already looking forward to next year.
    Same here. I meant to text you the same thoughts yesterday, but I fell asleep before I could put them in action. Your car was in some great company! We didn't end up coming back to C-at-C on Saturday; instead we spent the day shopping in town. Great Main Street areas which the girls really appreciated and which made up for walking through row upon row of Corvettes the day before. All in all, Carlisle is a very different experience when you've got non-automotive-enthusiasts with you, but still a good one.

Also got a line on an 01 Z06 for $13k from a friend of mine, but as an ex autocross / HPDE car with 150k miles on it, it's probably not something I'll pursue at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I'm kind of kicking around going to look at a Porsche Cayenne when I'm in the market next. I penciled out a 2021 Corvette LT2, and while I could do it by financing for 48 months pretty comfortably (and trading in my Camaro and emptying my next car fund) I just don't think it's worth it. I end up driving my truck a lot more than my Camaro as it is. Between weather considerations, pot hole handling ability, need to be able to do some very light off roading to get to my shooting spot or a given trailhead and I end up putting 3k miles a year on my Camaro, give or take 1k. The Corvette would see maybe 10-20% less than that due to being a 2 seater. It's a lot of money to have tied up in something I'd drive so little, and I look at the opportunity costs and just can't justify it.

At least on paper, a Cayenne seems like it checks a lot of boxes for me. Enough ground clearance for most logging trails/fire roads, cross a small ditch, drive through a field, climb out of a midwest pothole. Enough ride height to see better in traffic, which was something I didn't like about the C6 and C7 Corvette I test drove. The turbo is definitely fast enough to be fun. Fuel economy for road trips is on par with my Camaro.

It seems like kind of a "do it all" where I can drive it year round but still have sportscar level fun/performance. No shifting my own gears, though.

This is definitely in the embryonic stages, but given the Porsche love here I thought I'd ask if the Cayenne is a reasonable thing to own or if it's a money pit/reliability nightmare.
    I wonder the same things for the same reasons. But my buy-in point would be lower than yours, and I'd be doing all of the repair work myself. My main question would be, just how cheap, old, and high-mileage could I go before I was in over-my-head territory with regards to necessary repairs to keep it on the road?

I wonder the same things for the same reasons. But my buy-in point would be lower than yours, and I'd be doing all of the repair work myself. My main question would be, just how cheap, old, and high-mileage could I go before I was in over-my-head territory with regards to necessary repairs to keep it on the road?
    https://indianapolis.craigslist.org/...368521374.html

$35k, 2013 with 85k miles. I don't know what they are in non-COVID/chip-shortage markets or if that's representative of the broader market.

Site Supporter

$35k, 2013 with 85k miles. I don't know what they are in non-COVID/chip-shortage markets or if that's representative of the broader market.
    Yeah, after having life happen, I'm more in the $6800 04 V6 with 110k or $9700 09 S V8 with 145k market.... Both of those are coming up in my CL nearby choices.

Yeah, after having life happen, I'm more in the $6800 04 V6 with 110k or $9700 09 S V8 with 145k market.... Both of those are coming up in my CL nearby choices.
    Ha, been there. And the $500 but moves under it's own power (normally) market.

My buddy just bought a 2014 Cayenne Turbo from these guys. He is a hardcore enthusiast so its not going to stay stock. Intake+tune=600hp. Wow. Plus lowering it 1" with the air suspension somehow. Going to be an insane dad-mobile to truck the kiddos around.

https://www.eurozauto.com/cars-for-s...s&StockNumber=

They do have a 2013 with much higher miles for a little less money. On the Porsche forums, everyone says to get a good pre-purchase-inspection (PPI) before getting any of these cars. If it hasn't been taken care of the maintenance costs can run pretty high.

A buddy had a VW Touareg, maybe 2004/2005, which was a great car on and off road. These performance SUVs make a case for a 1-vehicle to rule them all type arguement.

...an F-150 Raptor is another option for fast fun and offroad hijinks. <--- EDIT, nevermind. They want waaay too much money for used Raptors. Sheesh!
    Last edited by rayrevolver; 08-30-2021 at 11:38 AM.

Site Supporter
    I've only worked on a few Cayennes. But wrenching on Porsches in general is 50/50 between 'Same piece of shit as every other car' and 'DAS IST WAY OF PORSCHE UND ONLY PORSCHE!'

Porsche genuine components tend to be expensive but pretty good/reliable stuff, with some startling and alarmingly bad (but well documented) exceptions. The nice thing about older Porsches is the enthusiast base is large so there's usually some good info on the internet about any particular weird thing you have occur.

I would also spend the money on a proper, pro-grade Porsche-friendly code scanner/OBD-II diag tool. Phone apps are great for a onesy-twosey things but spending a couple hundred bucks on a professional grade diag tool that operates on Porsche-specific protocols and such is money very well spent if you're going to own an older one and handle your own basic maintenance.
    Buying this scan tool *before* buying an older Porsche so you can run a diag on any potential buy is a great idea. Unfortunately I haven't kept up on what good $250-400 diag tools are out there and good with current Porsche stuff.

Also prepare to buy a bunch of weird new sockets, especially Torx variants and large hex drive sockets - 10mm to 22mm-ish allen keys, in socket form basically.

Site Supporter
    So exactly how closely related is Porsche to VW on the mechanical end of things? Same designers, same annoying hard-to-disconnect electrical connectors, same way-overdesigned everything? I don't mean overstrengthened, I mean just plain annoyingly pain-in-the-butt to perform a certain service as compared to the average Japanese counterpart? I *hate* working on VW's. If Porsche design philosophy is rooted in VW, then I'm out.

In that case I need a recommendation on the closest Japanese counterpart to the Cayenne, not that I expect there's anything out there to truly equal it. But I could see, as mentioned above, replacing both my Forester and my V6 Accord with one vehicle that could do both things well.

User Tag List