Page 63 of 190 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573113163 ... LastLast

Thread: The Semi-Unofficial Pistol-Forum Car geek, gearhead, hot rodder, and vehicle thread

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    As long as nobody misunderstands that to think overheating generally isn't possible.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

UPDATE

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    Thank you Rob, Doc, RJ for reading and responding.

Going to take your advice, there is a detail shop two blocks from my barn, I'll stop buy and make an appointment.

Doc - the slide is at Cajun Gun Works, they said 'expedited' on the work order, so hopefully back soon. It's hell to grow old!
    Goes in next Thursday. I'll take before and after.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

No one want to discuss the new Nissan Z?

I'll be honest, I was a bit surprised that it's an evolution on the 370Z, based on concept car and "all new" etc etc.

BUT - I like it, sounds like it makes a bunch of HP, if you're into that, and might be $35k.

When the 370Z hit I had my older Z06 and never really gave them a look. I did like my cousins Infiniti G35 coupe. My only foray in the Nissans was a 1985 300ZX, non-turbo. It was a great car to goof around in.

I think my sweet spot going forward is $30k and I hope the new Corvette mid-engine gets there in 5 or 6 years on the used market.

Site Supporter
    Honestly, the best part about GM is that Chevy dealerships appear to be empowered to fix stuff like this, and often get GM's support in doing so. Even when doing all my hot-rodding stuff GM dealerships have always been the most chill about aftermarket changes/etc.

That tech is fucking toast, though. That's for sure. I can almost hear the shop foreman chewing his ass before firing him.

Quote Originally Posted by rayrevolver View Post
    No one want to discuss the new Nissan Z?

I'll be honest, I was a bit surprised that it's an evolution on the 370Z, based on concept car and "all new" etc etc.

BUT - I like it, sounds like it makes a bunch of HP, if you're into that, and might be $35k.

When the 370Z hit I had my older Z06 and never really gave them a look. I did like my cousins Infiniti G35 coupe. My only foray in the Nissans was a 1985 300ZX, non-turbo. It was a great car to goof around in.

I think my sweet spot going forward is $30k and I hope the new Corvette mid-engine gets there in 5 or 6 years on the used market.
    The new Z has me pretty excited. The VR30DDTT is a fantastic engine and with a 6MT behind it, it'll do great. Massive tuning potential even on stock turbos. Once they're released we should see lots of 600+whp examples almost overnight.
    A lot of folks are talking smack about the platform being a further refinement of the Z34 chassis, but honestly I love that. The Z34 is figured out and has a great aftermarket and is designed well. Some versions are even stitch-welded from the factory. The Z34's only shortcoming has ever been a sad turd of an engine.
    Hopefully the MSRP stays low thanks to this.

The only thing I don't love about the new Z is the front end. Looks too square and 'bucktoothy' to me but I'm sure Stillen and other makers will offer aftermarket aero parts to solve that aesthetic problem.

As for the C8 getting into the $30's in 5-6 years, I strongly doubt that is going to happen. Chevrolet had planned to scale back C8 production before COVID hit, and with the semiconductor shortage and everything else in play, it's even more scarce than GM planned. Given the scarcity I can't see current C8's getting that cheap unless C8 production ramps up in a big way over the next 4 years, and they add features/hp/etc that makes the early cars less desirable.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rayrevolver View Post
    Good luck. Current 5-6 y/o Corvette prices aren't remotely there. Even upper end Camaros are more money than that.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

You guys are harshing my buzz!

I paid $28k in 2010 for a 2004 Z06, with very very low miles. I was hoping to repeat that feat in 6 years, with a similarly MSRP priced Vette.

...but yeah, based on many different things, maybe I need to use $40k as my target for a fun car down the road.

And realistically, I have a strong desire for my youngin to learn on a manual... Maybe a Corolla Hatch 6-speed that is out now will make a good first car.

Site Supporter
    Heck, I'm waiting for the C7 to come down. My C5Z was $22k in 2014 with 38k mi, but it was the 04 Z16 edition. Others were just under $20k at the time. I'll get a C7 with the admiral blue GS with white stripe package, a 7MT, and that'll be my last Corvette. I'm not interested in a mid-engine car or one without a clutch pedal.

After life happened and I sold the fun cars, I've been tooling around in a high-mile 04 Accord V6 / 6-speed coupe. There's no power off-idle, but I'm impressed by the acceleration once it passes 4k. It pulls straight to redline, no backing off on the power curve until it bounces off the rev limiter. Back in it's day, it would've been a quick car. Nowadays...well...I outran a new Tacoma with it the other day

Site Supporter
    A close friend of mine just had 'life happen' and he's selling his '08 Z06 for $40k. And damn if I'm not highly, highly tempted. C6Z's are just fantastic in stock form, as his currently is. Longtube headers and an A&A flip-kitted Vortech or an ECS Novi 1500 supercharger just make it all that much better, and that's what I'd do of course because I'm an idiot.

I'd have to sell basically all of my Japanese shitboxes to fund it, which is my only hesitation.

I may well go test drive a new Z when they're available on lots. I'm sure the first year and a half will be pre-sold and unavailable for driving.

That said, if I were to buy a Nissan, it's going to be tough for me to not target a '12-14 GT-R. It ticks most of the boxes I'd want in a DD for city driving.

User Tag List