Page 128 of 191 FirstFirst ... 2878118126127128129130138178 ... LastLast
Results 1,271 to 1,280 of 1901

Thread: The Semi-Unofficial Pistol-Forum Car geek, gearhead, hot rodder, and vehicle thread

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    I am not interested in a back and forth either. I love Porsche. I wish I had a lot more time driving them than just a few hours. I still have a 20yo old BMW I love to drive. I am also sort of astonished at the performance of these GM cars. Didn’t expect that at all.

My son works at a dealership where he drives quite a few different cars and any time he rolls around in a Porsche invariably I will get a call about how he feels they make the best cars on the market right now.

What is it that drew you to the Cayman? From my only experience in a 2001ish Boxster I remember the brakes and steering being just about perfect.
    If you think a 986 Boxster's brakes and steering were just about perfect, some late model 911's and Caymans on good tires would likely blow your mind.

You know I'm all about the C6 and bang-for-the-buck game, but if there's one thing the Germans just got absolutely perfect is the combination of chassis rigidity, steering feel, and braking feel that makes driving the car feel almost telepathic compared to most others. It's very much a 'joy of the drive' sort of thing that can't be represented in numbers, as @0ddl0t already described.

Spending a lot of time in P-cars and newer European offerings will make even C6 Z06's feel somehow sloppy & crude by comparison. It's a weird thing.

A European acquaintance of mine with a VERY impressive car collection (Ferrari Enzo, Ferrari F50, 300SL Gullwing, etc) referred to his C6 Z06 as 'his favorite cheeseburger'. He told me that all of the finest filet and ribeyes were wonderful in their own regard, but sometimes you just crave the simpler greasy delicious no-bullshit basics, and that has a joy all its own.

Our bimmer saved my butt today.

We were driving back to Venice from Vero Beach about 11, on Rt 70 West around Okeechobee. It was raining steadily under steel gray skies, and the roads were very greasy.

Passing through a long, curving intersection at speed (60 ish), I noticed a car crossing left to right in front of me. He didn’t seem to be stopping, so I kept an eye on him, lifted off, and decided to cover the brake, just in case.

Sure enough, knucklehead kept going, right across my path. Oh crap. I mashed TF out of the brake, and steered quickly left, then right, missing this bozo’s bumper by a couple feet or so. I remember a bunch of orange and red flashing lights or something in the dash, but honestly all I really recall was the pulses of the ABS or DSC or whatever electrickery they use as drivers assists these days. The car was definitely rotating and reacted quickly, very quickly, so I ended up steering around without a scratch. I felt very much in control; it was almost like a slalom exercise at a driving experience.

Took a few minutes to get my pulse rate down, but I was really thankful we didn’t end up in an accident. Here’s to technology.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Our bimmer saved my butt today.

We were driving back to Venice from Vero Beach about 11, on Rt 70 West around Okeechobee. It was raining steadily under steel gray skies, and the roads were very greasy.

Passing through a long, curving intersection at speed (60 ish), I noticed a car crossing left to right in front of me. He didn’t seem to be stopping, so I kept an eye on him, lifted off, and decided to cover the brake, just in case.

Sure enough, knucklehead kept going, right across my path. Oh crap. I mashed TF out of the brake, and steered quickly left, then right, missing this bozo’s bumper by a couple feet or so. I remember a bunch of orange and red flashing lights or something in the dash, but honestly all I really recall was the pulses of the ABS or DSC or whatever electrickery they use as drivers assists these days. The car was definitely rotating and reacted quickly, very quickly, so I ended up steering around without a scratch. I felt very much in control; it was almost like a slalom exercise at a driving experience.

Took a few minutes to get my pulse rate down, but I was really thankful we didn’t end up in an accident. Here’s to technology.
    Modern ABS is wonderful. We did steering in the wet exercises at the Corvette driving school. The big takeaway from that was brake, THEN steer for best results.

Wow

Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    Tesla is missing the boat. They need a high end convenience store with a Starbucks on the premises.
    I think they just try and locate them within walking distance, this is the one near my house:

Name:  Charger.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  64.2 KB

Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

I just perused Auto Trader for 911s in my area. The slightly used ones are still fetching 20+% over MSRP of a new model. I guess the market hasn't leveled off with regards to Porsche yet.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I just perused Auto Trader for 911s in my area. The slightly used ones are still fetching 20+% over MSRP of a new model. I guess the market hasn't leveled off with regards to Porsche yet.
    Just got a quote from my local Porsche dealer: GT3, 50K over list price; GT3 Touring, 100K over list price.

They have none in stock but will put you on a waiting list.

The new Corvette Z06 is looking good to me.
    With liberty and justice for all...must be 18, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply, not available in all states.

Quote Originally Posted by Bart Carter View Post
    The new Corvette Z06 is looking good to me.
    Checked 5 dealerships, best wait time was 2.5 years.

That said, even though the new Z06 is 20 HP more than my C7 Z06, it's 190 FB toque less.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Checked 5 dealerships, best wait time was 2.5 years.
    I just want a Ford Transit cargo van. Forum chatter sounds like 1-2yr lead times, sooooo...
    We also want a Bronco, wonder if we will be able toto order either one before we get distracted and change our minds.

User Tag List