Page 57 of 190 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967107157 ... LastLast

Thread: The Semi-Unofficial Pistol-Forum Car geek, gearhead, hot rodder, and vehicle thread

Quote Originally Posted by Kram View Post
    That’s awesome! Do you have a link for purchase?
    No, I don’t even have the shirt. The pic came through someone’s FB feed and was sent to me.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    I prefer the R888R's because IME they're the best mix of straightline traction, lateral traction, handling characteristics, and overall stability for a high HP street car. While a few other tires can beat the R888R's in one or two of those categories, none of them do so without significantly sacrificing something else in another category. Like any tire of that caliber it is strictly a nice-dry-weather only tire. e.g. some drag radials are better for straightline traction, but at the expense of substantial lateral grip and high speed stability.
    Following up on your recommendation, I did a lot of my own research. Everything pointed back to these R888Rs. Tonight, I bet the bullet and ordered them at my local shop. They should be here in two days. Will report back on how everything goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Following up on your recommendation, I did a lot of my own research. Everything pointed back to these R888Rs. Tonight, I bet the bullet and ordered them at my local shop. They should be here in two days. Will report back on how everything goes.
    Well, 2 days became longer than 2 days, but yesterday was the day. The weather was beautiful, so I took the afternoon off to play.

Name:  2012 GS R888 tire.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  59.4 KB

@JRB, thank you very much for the recommendation. These tires are awesome. I've reduced my best 0-60 time from the old tires vs. these by 0.83 seconds. That's a heck of a bump. I still have to massage a little in first gear, but now I can quick shift to second and not spin them up again.

Site Supporter
    Well, 2 days became longer than 2 days, but yesterday was the day. The weather was beautiful, so I took the afternoon off to play.

Name:  2012 GS R888 tire.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  59.4 KB

@JRB, thank you very much for the recommendation. These tires are awesome. I've reduced my best 0-60 time from the old tires vs. these by 0.83 seconds. That's a heck of a bump. I still have to massage a little in first gear, but now I can quick shift to second and not spin them up again.
    That is a very impressive improvement for only a tire change!
    Beware, though, they're addictive and like any tire in that category, they last between 2500-ish and 8000-ish miles depending on how you drive them. Avoiding burnouts/wheelspin when the tires are cold helps a lot, as does a really precise alignment. Factory 'Vette alignment settings leave something to be desired, I prefer to reduce the toe-in to around 1/8"-3/16" total (between both wheels, not on each wheel) and that massively improves rear tire life with stuff like R888R's. For further tire life and straightline grip improvements, you can somewhat reduce negative camber. How much is highly subjective to your own tastes/preferences for handling prowess vs straightline traction. Generally speaking, reducing negative camber will reduce lateral grip a little but for big improvements in straightline grip and tire longevity.

If there's a local alignment shop known for doing work on race cars, etc, it's worth a few trips to an alignment rack to get the car feeling exactly right with those new tires.

It'd also be worth a search on various Corvette forums and such to see if there's any latest/greatest alignment specs that folks with serious HP prefer. In the past that was difficult to find because Corvette people can be a very 'LEAVE IT ALL GM AND DELCO AND ORIGINAL!' and keep recommending factory specs for a car wildly different than factory.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    One more thing is to get it corner balanced. I assume they haven't changed it, but I haven't worked on the latest ones. On older (C5/C6) Vettes, the factory setup included provisions for adjusting the preload of the transverse leaf springs, so you had the ability to corner balance it without buying any parts. You can also drop the ride height a little if you want.

As with camber, you can prioritize whether you want better handling or better straight line. 0-60 will be maximized if you equalize weight across the rear as much as possible. Trying to go all the way could make things weird overall, though.

For best/most uniform handling, you want the front/rear distribution to be the same on both sides. That is NOT the same thing as "equal crossweights" that you will hear about UNLESS the car is exactly 50/50 on one or both of the longitudinal or lateral axis.

Also, do all this with you in the driver's seat (or the car weighted equivalently), the amount of fuel you want to be set up for, and anything out of it that you might take out of it when you run for time (spare tire, jack, etc. - if you're into that).
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    That is a very impressive improvement for only a tire change!
    Beware, though, they're addictive and like any tire in that category, they last between 2500-ish and 8000-ish miles depending on how you drive them. Avoiding burnouts/wheelspin when the tires are cold helps a lot, as does a really precise alignment. Factory 'Vette alignment settings leave something to be desired, I prefer to reduce the toe-in to around 1/8"-3/16" total (between both wheels, not on each wheel) and that massively improves rear tire life with stuff like R888R's. For further tire life and straightline grip improvements, you can somewhat reduce negative camber. How much is highly subjective to your own tastes/preferences for handling prowess vs straightline traction. Generally speaking, reducing negative camber will reduce lateral grip a little but for big improvements in straightline grip and tire longevity.

If there's a local alignment shop known for doing work on race cars, etc, it's worth a few trips to an alignment rack to get the car feeling exactly right with those new tires.

It'd also be worth a search on various Corvette forums and such to see if there's any latest/greatest alignment specs that folks with serious HP prefer. In the past that was difficult to find because Corvette people can be a very 'LEAVE IT ALL GM AND DELCO AND ORIGINAL!' and keep recommending factory specs for a car wildly different than factory.
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    One more thing is to get it corner balanced. I assume they haven't changed it, but I haven't worked on the latest ones. On older (C5/C6) Vettes, the factory setup included provisions for adjusting the preload of the transverse leaf springs, so you had the ability to corner balance it without buying any parts. You can also drop the ride height a little if you want.

As with camber, you can prioritize whether you want better handling or better straight line. 0-60 will be maximized if you equalize weight across the rear as much as possible. Trying to go all the way could make things weird overall, though.

For best/most uniform handling, you want the front/rear distribution to be the same on both sides. That is NOT the same thing as "equal crossweights" that you will hear about UNLESS the car is exactly 50/50 on one or both of the longitudinal or lateral axis.

Also, do all this with you in the driver's seat (or the car weighted equivalently), the amount of fuel you want to be set up for, and anything out of it that you might take out of it when you run for time (spare tire, jack, etc. - if you're into that).
    Thank you both for the additional detail. Olong, this is a C6.

One thing I found interesting, I wanted to ensure they were installed properly and I was looking for the directional arrow. Instead, these tires have a marking that says "outside". Hmm.

Thank you both for the additional detail. Olong, this is a C6.

One thing I found interesting, I wanted to ensure they were installed properly and I was looking for the directional arrow. Instead, these tires have a marking that says "outside". Hmm.
    As long as that marking is on the outside, you're GTG.

They're asymmetric tires. Bigger, chunkier tread is toward the outside where it's loaded more in cornering. Lots of tires are that way. Some are directional. Can't think of any in current production that are directional and asymmetric, thankfully.
    Not another dime.

As long as that marking is on the outside, you're GTG.

They're asymmetric tires. Bigger, chunkier tread is toward the outside where it's loaded more in cornering. Lots of tires are that way. Some are directional. Can't think of any in current production that are directional and asymmetric, thankfully.
    Yikes, would that mean you'd need to buy a specific right and specific left tire??

Yikes, would that mean you'd need to buy a specific right and specific left tire??
    Yes.

OE tires on the OG NSX are another one I can think of.
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Yes.

OE tires on the OG NSX are another one I can think of.
    The Pirelli P-Zero Corsa system tires used on some Ferraris and other exotics were left/right *and* directional. And violently, terrifyingly expensive.

User Tag List