Page 80 of 190 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290130180 ... LastLast

Thread: The Semi-Unofficial Pistol-Forum Car geek, gearhead, hot rodder, and vehicle thread

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I liked t-tops, having them on a Corvette and 2 Camaros. Lube the gaskets and that would eliminate squeaking and also help prevent leaks. Better than early sunroofs, IMO, but yes they do make the car less rigid.
    I was SO close to buying one of these 20 years ago. Living in SE FL I LOVED the idea of the t-tops and IIRC they even fit in the trunk!

In the end it was between this, the Lightning, an M3, or keeping my Harley, and in the end the Harley won out.

Name:  23FD45A6-4F31-4F40-8AE5-F835B6206BC4.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  70.6 KB
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I was SO close to buying one of these 20 years ago. Living in SE FL I LOVED the idea of the t-tops and IIRC they even fit in the trunk!

In the end it was between this, the Lightning, an M3, or keeping my Harley, and in the end the Harley won out.

Name:  23FD45A6-4F31-4F40-8AE5-F835B6206BC4.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  70.6 KB

Yes, the 4th Gen F-bodies had a special place in the hatch for the tops. The parcel shelf had a big drop off in the back to make a slot deep enough for them and there were attachment points on the walls so they locked in place like they did when they were on the car. My '97 Z28 was the last t-top equipped car I had, and the fastest car I owned until I bought my 2011 SS/RS.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    For the most part yes, especially in older cars. A GM engineer said the C7 Corvettes were designed to be a convertible from day 1 and roof is inconsequential to frame rigidity. That’s how they are able to offer all models with a convertible or targa top, including the 755 HP ZR1.
    Right, but they aren't as rigid as a design incorporating a normal roof would have been. Normal roof design is most rigid, then t-tops , then convertibles.

IIRC, side impact airbags and crash standards killed off the t-top design, but I always liked them better than "real" convertibles. Lighter weight, no cloth to wear out, trunk space isn't as compromised with "top down", etc.

Right, but they aren't as rigid as a design incorporating a normal roof would have been. Normal roof design is most rigid, then t-tops , then convertibles.
    Speaking of, when I was shopping fast cars back then (2001-2002 era), if I could have found one of these somewhere, the Harley would have lost out…

Name:  CA53BAEF-30C9-4996-B30B-8DD90CB11871.jpeg
Views: 133
Size:  37.2 KB
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Speaking of, when I was shopping fast cars back then (2001-2002 era), if I could have found one of these somewhere, the Harley would have lost out…

What is it? Obviously a BMW, but I'm out of my depth quickly with imports.

What is it? Obviously a BMW, but I'm out of my depth quickly with imports.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...ake-road-test/

Short-ish version…

2001 was a pretty banner year for various go-fast cars, but particularly certain imports. The US M cars and the US WRX had been either neutered or not available prior to 2001. In ‘01 the “real” M cars came to the US with the 300+ hp motor. IIRC that was the M3, M Roadster (convertible) and the M Coupe (hard top, hatchback, version of the Roadster).

So basically it was a hard top M Roadster, making it stiffer and also potentially more liveable with the hatch space for (in my mind at the time) guns.

Site Supporter

A friend had one. Parents bought it for him for a graduation present. It was great fun to drive. Until it started to have the bmw cost of maintenance in mileage.

Quote Originally Posted by camel View Post
    A friend had one. Parents bought it for him for a graduation present. It was great fun to drive. Until it started to have the bmw cost of maintenance in mileage.
    I think you gotta factor that in.

It seems like a lot of folks somehow get surprised by that, which is itself surprising to me…

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I think you gotta factor that in.

It seems like a lot of folks somehow get surprised by that, which is itself surprising to me…
    Well, if you have experience with a wide variety of Japanese and even American cars, then try a German car, it's not surprising that one would be surprised by it.

ETA: It's not just "more maintenance." It's not just a little worse. It's a level of awful that a person has no basis for imagining if they haven't experienced it.

I didn't work on Z3 coupes much, but I remember deciding whether to do a suspension installation. You basically have to remove the entire interior behind the seats to get at the four nuts that hold the top of the rear shocks in, because it's layered in there like shingles on a roof. It wasn't just that model. E39 5 Series required the rear interior to be removed to get at the upper shock mounts, too. Suspension on one of those cars was a 15 hour book rate job. Two days to do something that should be two hours.

I think it was C&D that said the Z3 coupe looked like a "nerd's shoe." So of course that was what we called it, even as we enjoyed driving it sideways. The MZ4 coupe is a vastly better machine.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 11-25-2021 at 09:21 AM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Well, if you have experience with a wide variety of Japanese and even American cars, then try a German car, it's not surprising that one would be surprised by it.
    Maybe if you also live in a bubble.

It’s not like this isn’t common “knowledge”.

User Tag List