Page 20 of 190 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070120 ... LastLast

Thread: The Semi-Unofficial Pistol-Forum Car geek, gearhead, hot rodder, and vehicle thread

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    @JRB

My spirit animal.

Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    I don't know why I am so tempted by this: https://sacramento.craigslist.org/ct...051146911.html
    Because it's awesome, duh.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    There were rumors back in the day that Honda had built an Integra GS-R with a CR-V AWD system and supercharger, that it obliterated the NSX around whatever track it was tested on, and that it then got locked up in a barn somewhere. Everyone involved said, "We shall speak no more of this." In formal Japanese, of course.

Or maybe that was just a SoCal car guy fantasy of wishful thinking...
    http://shop.humbleperformance.com/co...onversion-kit/

I haven't seen one in real life, but the Integra/Civic's biggest weakness is understeer, and if one could dial out more understeer while putting not-too-much-more weight in the rear... yes, I could believe a supercharged AWD B-series Integra stomping an NSX.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapid Butterfly View Post
    No, if you’re gonna drive a Prius, drive a mid engine v8 powered GT300 version.
    Yes. Yes Please.

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Back in the mid-90s IMSA and SCCA had a yearly race at Texas World Speedway near College Station for a couple of years and then at least once in downtown Dallas. I shot rolls and rolls of film that still need to be scanned into my computer. I started hitting the twice a year Goodguys show around 2011-2012 and by that time I had a digital Canon EOS Rebel. I think I've gotten all of those uploaded to Flickr finally except for the couple of years I lost in a computer crash. Some I took because I flat out liked the car or build, some were inspiration and ideas for a planned Volksrod that never happened.
    Please tell me that those mid-90's IMSA pics are somewhere handy where you can scan them!!!

Please post more pics, either way. Newer or otherwise!

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    One of my bad ideas is a '62 Cadillac coupe.

I saw a pretty clean one in a body shop (not getting worked on, it just lived there) in Louisiana a few years ago. Went back a few weeks later and it was out back by a tree. Some idiot teenager had broken into the shop and joyridden it. When the cops chased him, he ran off the road and into some trees, I believe. It was pretty well fubared. Might have been possible to rebuild it; I don't know if those cars are valuable enough to support the cost.

I still think one of those would be incredible with a turbo 6.0 and manual. Giant brakes, modern suspension. Wheels and tires that looked right would be the hard part. Custom wheels just cost money, but there really is no such thing as custom tires.
    Terrible to hear about that 62.

On a happier note, that story reminded me about a 66 Caddy coupe I lusted for - It was a customer's jet black, red-interior 66 Coupe De Ville that had a ZZ4/TH400 under the hood with a cam and headers that sounded good but didn't ruin vacuum, driveability, or gas mileage. It was geared tall out back but had a converter that was loose enough to get it up on power without any fuss but it'd cruse on the highway beautifully. It wore billet 17in wheels with taller tires that balanced out the meat-to-metal ratio nicely without looking like rubber bands. The rest was airbag suspension, an absolutely frigid aftermarket A/C, and a stereo that was a lot louder than the cammed ZZ4 crate motor.

He routinely drove it back and forth to Las Vegas, NV from ABQ, NM with his wife. They were both rockabilly types and he was always in a black leather jacket, and she was always dolled up like a pinup girl.
    While I was under the dash working on the throttle linkage, I found a kydex holster for a 1911 under the seat.
    I asked him about it, he wasn't a 'gun guy' but he carried his Dad's old Colt 1911 Gov't in .38 Super because, in his words "Ya just never know, dude". His wife had a vintage switchblade collection and was much more into guns; she had a Colt 1908 .25 that apparently was in a small leather thigh holster under her skirt every time I'd ever seen her. Somehow that just made sense to me even though it was a .25. Very cool people.

And yes, LC's are always cool!

Speaking of kits, if I won the lottery, I’d buy one of these:

http://www.beck904.com/sales/

Rolling chassis is about $60k I gather. What’s the typical engine/gearbox cost for a suitable donor? I just think the 904 is one of the most beautiful cars ever designed.

Pic off the web:

Attachment 47138
    Last edited by RJ; 01-12-2020 at 03:31 PM.

In the P-F basket of deplorables.

You can dial the understeer out of the car. I did.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Hammertime
    Gonna post some random stuff.

This was killer. And can be cheaper than replace a P engine

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    This! Especially for those who wore out VHS copies of Faszination

Skip to 3 min to watch this guy wrangle a very powerful 80s 911 around the ring. Damn. That is pretty busy and I would crash the car driving it like that for sure. Screw that rear engine crap. At least in that vintage car. Awful under steer followed by snap oversteer constantly. Maybe it is the tires, but that thing does not look sorted to me. Amazing driving.

Hammertime

The Semi-Unofficial Pistol-Forum Car geek, gearhead, hot rodder, and vehicle thread

I had a chance to visit Barret Jackson auction yesterday. Every gear head should attend some time.

The factory Ford display killed it. The Mustangs were great to sit in. The Ford GT Gen I and II were my favorite supercars followed by Mclarens.

Very few Lambos at auction.

Loved the polished Cobras and Daytonas.

Paul Walker’s cars were on the block and he had great taste.

Saw the C8 Vette in person and I am really sorry to say the C8 is a styling disappointment. I much prefer the C7 which IMO was nearly perfect, and very exciting, distinct, and beautiful compared to prior generations.

Something about the wheel/tire area looks cheap. This orange one was best of the bunch. Maybe due to black wheels.

They did have a really cool engine display for their crate engines.

Anyway there was much to see and ponder that many of these projects belonged to folks now passed away and the object continues on.
    Last edited by Doc_Glock; 01-12-2020 at 07:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    Skip to 3 min to watch this guy wrangle a very powerful 80s 911 around the ring. Damn. That is pretty busy and I would crash the car driving it like that for sure. Screw that rear engine crap. At least in that vintage car. Awful under steer followed by snap oversteer constantly. Maybe it is the tires, but that thing does not look sorted to me. Amazing driving.
    That generation 911 was already known as a doctor killer for its sudden oversteer, but the 1987 RUF ctr was even worse because it eschewed the normal turbo widebody chassis (and its improved geometry control arms) and used the base model's narrow body to improve aerodynamics, allowing the CTR to reach a record setting 213mph. The end result was the fastest lap time on Nurburgring for many years.
    Last edited by 0ddl0t; 01-12-2020 at 07:59 PM.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    Gonna post some random stuff.

This was killer. And can be cheaper than replace a P engine

Flat out... Had to go find this classic.

-----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List