Page 19 of 188 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969119 ... LastLast

Thread: The Semi-Unofficial Pistol-Forum Car geek, gearhead, hot rodder, and vehicle thread

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    that's good feedback, thanks. I love the 2019 re-design, but don't think I want to pop for that, and I'm not such a fan of the previous design. I'll probably wind up with the '17 Macan S. Something like these guys
    https://nationalpreownedporsche.com/...allic+33947879

https://nationalpreownedporsche.com/...Black+31079613

Although the wife is at Honda right now fighting with them about the goddamn auto-shutoff leaving her dead in the water several times. so maybe she gets the Cayenne, and I get my conversion van (down by the river?) haha.
    First one looks like my loaner. Black/Brown. Nothing special in terms of options.

The second one looks more interesting, especially the build sheet:

Attachment 47022

A fire extinguisher is intriguing. A FE is required at any Porsche Club of America Drivers Education (DE). So the fact it was specified suggests the car was ordered by a buyer. Same with the tow hitch.

The choice of Garnet and Black seems to work, it’s a pretty bold choice. The belts in Garnet reinforces the impression of an ordered car. Compliments the red calipers on the S.

The smokers package just means there is a 12v outlet in the center. Everyone gets it. It’s a $0 cost option.
    Last edited by RJ; 01-10-2020 at 08:04 PM.

Site Supporter
    Here in ABQ there's a 914-6 owned by a dedicated road racer and it makes frequent appearances at local track events, and it usually cleans house on any and every other car on our tight and very technical local road course. It's a fantastic car, and it's a shame that so many 914's fell victim to rust.
    A Subaru EJ25T powered example would be fantastic - but given the difficulty of finding a clean one, I'd probably go for a built Turbo MR2 or a K24 swapped MR2.
    With a somewhat larger budget, one of the previously-mentioned Renegade Hybrids 911's with an LS swap.

On another note, it sucks that my only reliable internet connection out here blocks YouTube.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    the good news is, it's an internet forum, you can help steer the topic any which way you choose!

The bad news is, it's an internet forum, you're unlikely to wind up in total control of the direction(s) the topics go!

Which does raise a question, is this thread/topic only open to those interested in old cars that need a lot of tinkering and fiddle-fuck? The title says "car geek, gearhead, hot rodder, and vehicle".
    Tinkering and project cars is definitely the spirit of the thread, but if I know anything about myself, I'd make a tinkering project car out of a Prius if that's all I had.

As the OP, I'm happy to hear all about the wise CPO strategies for buying the right Porsche - and @RJ is 100% on-target freaking genius with the strategy he described. Is the Cayenne my favorite Porsche? Anything but, honestly. But the car that keeps one's spouse happy is just perfect and I would never be so foolish as to debate that point. Plus, sometimes it's damn nice to just have a comfortable modern car.

With the variety of conversations and wide strata of car interest among P-F, I'd anticipate this thread to not be one cohesive ongoing conversation, but instead several conversations about several things between different members.
    So if you've seen too many posts about something that doesn't interest you, respond to an older post that does, or post pics of an awesome car you want to talk about.

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    Here in ABQ there's a 914-6 owned by a dedicated road racer and it makes frequent appearances at local track events, and it usually cleans house on any and every other car on our tight and very technical local road course. It's a fantastic car, and it's a shame that so many 914's fell victim to rust.
    I remember once reading about a project where somebody was swapping an Audi 2.7T V6 into a 914. One can certainly call the wisdom of that decision into question, as the 2.7T is kind of a pain in the ass to maintain, you'd have to set up somewhere for the radiator to live, etc., but there's no question it would have been badass - people have gotten ~325 HP out of a 2.7T by upgrading only the ECU's tune. Start swapping on bigger turbos (or single large turbo) and bigger injectors and it gets crazy really quickly. That much power in such a small, light, mid-engined car would undoubtedly be a handful.

@JRB

My spirit animal.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Site Supporter
    If you gotta drive a Prius, it might as well be that one!!

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    I remember once reading about a project where somebody was swapping an Audi 2.7T V6 into a 914. One can certainly call the wisdom of that decision into question, as the 2.7T is kind of a pain in the ass to maintain, you'd have to set up somewhere for the radiator to live, etc., but there's no question it would have been badass - people have gotten ~325 HP out of a 2.7T by upgrading only the ECU's tune. Start swapping on bigger turbos (or single large turbo) and bigger injectors and it gets crazy really quickly. That much power in such a small, light, mid-engined car would undoubtedly be a handful.
    At my first official job working as a tech at a speed shop, my very first flag hour job was doing a set of downpipes on a then damn near brand new Audi 2.7L TT S4 6spd.
    Needless to say, it took me a LOT longer than book time because the downpipes were about 1/2" off of where everything needed to be and about 1in too long, which made getting them installed and getting the exhaust reinstalled and adjusted to sit correctly was a back-and-forth clusterfuck of unmitigated proportions. Car picked up probably 50whp from that breathing change alone, though. They're fantastically responsive to modifications and wonderful to drive, it just sucks that they're so twitchy and maintenance-hungry.
    Last edited by JRB; 01-11-2020 at 09:06 AM.

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    No, if you’re gonna drive a Prius, drive a mid engine v8 powered GT300 version.

Name:  3631684D-02D0-4232-9827-738FC9A9A927.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  76.9 KB

https://www.roadandtrack.com/motorsp...ace-car-sound/

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    There were rumors back in the day that Honda had built an Integra GS-R with a CR-V AWD system and supercharger, that it obliterated the NSX around whatever track it was tested on, and that it then got locked up in a barn somewhere. Everyone involved said, "We shall speak no more of this." In formal Japanese, of course.

Or maybe that was just a SoCal car guy fantasy of wishful thinking...
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Back in the mid-90s IMSA and SCCA had a yearly race at Texas World Speedway near College Station for a couple of years and then at least once in downtown Dallas. I shot rolls and rolls of film that still need to be scanned into my computer. I started hitting the twice a year Goodguys show around 2011-2012 and by that time I had a digital Canon EOS Rebel. I think I've gotten all of those uploaded to Flickr finally except for the couple of years I lost in a computer crash. Some I took because I flat out liked the car or build, some were inspiration and ideas for a planned Volksrod that never happened.

Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    One of my bad ideas is a '62 Cadillac coupe.

I saw a pretty clean one in a body shop (not getting worked on, it just lived there) in Louisiana a few years ago. Went back a few weeks later and it was out back by a tree. Some idiot teenager had broken into the shop and joyridden it. When the cops chased him, he ran off the road and into some trees, I believe. It was pretty well fubared. Might have been possible to rebuild it; I don't know if those cars are valuable enough to support the cost.

I still think one of those would be incredible with a turbo 6.0 and manual. Giant brakes, modern suspension. Wheels and tires that looked right would be the hard part. Custom wheels just cost money, but there really is no such thing as custom tires.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I don't know why I am so tempted by this: https://sacramento.craigslist.org/ct...051146911.html

User Tag List