Page 17 of 190 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767117 ... LastLast

Thread: The Semi-Unofficial Pistol-Forum Car geek, gearhead, hot rodder, and vehicle thread

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    Only the most die hard P-car purist that wanted to impress other Porsche people could conclude that the 993 was in any way superior as a whole.
    I 100% get that, and I accept it. I have this problem where I was 17 when the 993 came out, and to this day I still think it's the prettiest 911 Porsche ever made, plus I think that the sounds the air-cooled models make are special. I accept that it's not rational, but I want one anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I'd like to hear more about how to make that happen. Wile I *can* afford a new Macan, I don't really want to tie the money up in a new one, and would love to find a way to skip the depreciation while maintaining the factory warranty.

Although, even then, I suspect that it's still a "rich guy's" game since I have to assume that even if I buy a 2 year old Macan, then sell it 2 years later, I'm still going to take a bath.
    Not sure. Car's are not an "investment" obviously; best you can do is avoid taking a bath on depreciation and get one not likely to have problems. Porsche (in that regard) are perhaps a bit better than most, being ranked by JD Power next to Lexus at the top. At least as opposed to a FIAT or Land Rover or Volvo, brands which are in the bottom of the rankings.

Macan's should be plentiful, at least relative to overall Porsche sales. It is their number 1 seller.

https://blog.dupontregistry.com/pors...sales-figures/

A off-lease Macan CPO should be in the 40s. I pulled this off my local dealer web site; 20K miles, almost exactly 40. (Obviously if you need a few more turns of the magic horsepower screw, you need an S or Turbo badge on the bootlid. With additional $ of course.)

https://www.porscheoftampa.com/inven...aa2a55hlb80429

A '17 has a four year factory warranty; the CPO adds 2 years to that plus unlimited mileage. So you are getting a four year, unlimited mileage warranty from Porsche. Plus they send you a nice package with a fancy pants Porsche Pen.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    I 100% get that, and I accept it. I have this problem where I was 17 when the 993 came out, and to this day I still think it's the prettiest 911 Porsche ever made, plus I think that the sounds the air-cooled models make are special. I accept that it's not rational, but I want one anyway.
    Dude, you have no idea how much I *completely* understand!
    If that's the Porsche that compels you to stare at it for another 5 minutes before turning off the light in the garage, then that's the right Porsche for you, no question

'Rational' is a 4th Gen 4Runner and a Prius. F all that - that has *nothing* to do with the spirit of this thread, or car-geekdom in general.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Not sure. Car's are not an "investment" obviously; best you can do is avoid taking a bath on depreciation and get one not likely to have problems. Porsche (in that regard) are perhaps a bit better than most, being ranked by JD Power next to Lexus at the top. At least as opposed to a FIAT or Land Rover or Volvo, brands which are in the bottom of the rankings.

Macan's should be plentiful, at least relative to overall Porsche sales. It is their number 1 seller.

https://blog.dupontregistry.com/pors...sales-figures/

A off-lease Macan CPO should be in the 40s. I pulled this off my local dealer web site; 20K miles, almost exactly 40. (Obviously if you need a few more turns of the magic horsepower screw, you need an S or Turbo badge on the bootlid. With additional $ of course.)

https://www.porscheoftampa.com/inven...aa2a55hlb80429

A '17 has a four year factory warranty; the CPO adds 2 years to that plus unlimited mileage. So you are getting a four year, unlimited mileage warranty from Porsche. Plus they send you a nice package with a fancy pants Porsche Pen.
    That’s really helpful, thanks!

So it would seem that looking for a CPO through a dealer would be the best bet?

Already sold, but this looks like it Might have been just the ticket...
    https://www.bramanmotorcars.com/auto...h-fl/31429095/
    Last edited by rob_s; 01-10-2020 at 07:37 AM.

That’s really helpful, thanks!

So it would seem that looking for a CPO through a dealer would be the best bet?
    Porsche Cars North America (PCNA) in Atlanta will confirm that a "CPO Porsche" can only be sold as "CPO" if it stays within the dealer network. You cannot get a "Porsche CPO" vehicle if the car was sold (say) by a BMW group dealer (as in the case of my '14 Cayman S; it was a former CPO but because I bought it at a local luxury group reseller, the CPO was void.) I bought my 991.2 through the Porsche dealer in Long Island, so it *is* a CPO car and confirmed by PCNA. So, yes, a dealer is the only option.

I found mine here:

https://nationalpreownedporsche.com/

They have a "MT" search option.

Relative to the Macan, I have zip for experience. I received a 4cyl one as a loaner and spent the day wondering why the handbrake was on. It was ah, not quick.

The new upgraded Macans that are now coming with the '19 refresh may be faster, not sure. They do have the new PCM and bigger screen. Mrs. RJ likes that on her '19 Cayenne. It is a big step up from the PCM in my '17, for sure.
    Last edited by RJ; 01-10-2020 at 08:04 AM.

Porsche Cars North America (PCNA) in Atlanta will confirm that a "CPO Porsche" can only be sold as "CPO" if it stays within the dealer network. You cannot get a "Porsche CPO" vehicle if the car was sold (say) by a BMW group dealer (as in the case of my '14 Cayman S; it was a former CPO but because I bought it at a local luxury group reseller, the CPO was void.) I bought my 991.2 through the Porsche dealer in Long Island, so it *is* a CPO car and confirmed by PCNA. So, yes, a dealer is the only option.

I found mine here:

https://nationalpreownedporsche.com/

They have a "MT" search option.

Relative to the Macan, I have zip for experience. I received a 4cyl one as a loaner and spent the day wondering why the handbrake was on. It was ah, not quick.

The new upgraded Macans that are now coming with the '19 refresh may be faster, not sure. They do have the new PCM and bigger screen. Mrs. RJ likes that on her '19 Cayenne. It is a big step up from the PCM in my '17, for sure.
    that's good feedback.

I can't imagine getting a base Macan, but a base Cayenne may be a possibility. I'm primarily interested in a Macan S.

I'm coming from a Ram 1500 Crew cab, so just about anything will seem fast

The Semi-Unofficial Pistol-Forum Car geek, gearhead, hot rodder, and vehicle thread

that's good feedback.

I can't imagine getting a base Macan, but a base Cayenne may be a possibility. I'm primarily interested in a Macan S.

I'm coming from a Ram 1500 Crew cab, so just about anything will seem fast
    My report on her base Cayenne after 11k:

- Love the way it drives
    - Tech is fresh and BIG screen
    - MPG averages 21 - but it’s a big car and she’s not slow
    - Standard brakes graunch when cold. There is a lot of buzz on the forums on the brakes
    - Auto start stop that can’t be coded out. It also incredibly, turns off the engine WHILE THE CAR IS MOVING. I’ve almost been T boned because of this. We now reflexively just pop in SPORT mode. This defeats ASS and makes the car much more lively.

She misses the radar lane following mode that was on her RX350.

Absent the above, we do like it, especially for long trips and such like. It’s their #2 seller and the ‘19 complete redesign is a big hit, my sales guy says they are selling the heck out of them.
    Last edited by RJ; 01-10-2020 at 11:01 AM.

My report on her base Cayenne after 11k:

- Love the way it drives
    - Tech is fresh and BIG screen
    - MPG averages 21 - but it’s a big car and she’s not slow
    - Standard brakes graunch when cold. There is a lot of buzz on the forums on the brakes
    - Auto start stop that can’t be coded out. It also incredibly, turns off the engine WHILE THE CAR IS MOVING. I’ve almost been T boned because of this. We now reflexively just pop in SPORT mode. This defeats ASS and makes the car much more lively.

She misses the radar lane following mode that was on her RX350.

Absent the above, we do like it, especially for long trips and such like. It’s their #2 seller and the ‘19 complete redesign is a big hit, my sales guy says they are selling the heck out of them.
    that's good feedback, thanks. I love the 2019 re-design, but don't think I want to pop for that, and I'm not such a fan of the previous design. I'll probably wind up with the '17 Macan S. Something like these guys
    https://nationalpreownedporsche.com/...allic+33947879

https://nationalpreownedporsche.com/...Black+31079613

Although the wife is at Honda right now fighting with them about the goddamn auto-shutoff leaving her dead in the water several times. so maybe she gets the Cayenne, and I get my conversion van (down by the river?) haha.
    Last edited by rob_s; 01-10-2020 at 11:15 AM.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    A box truck has way more living space if you're a river-dwelling type. Might even step up to a 24-footer for that.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    If I wanted a real OG Porsche, the 930 Turbo's and 964 Turbo's are the ones to have, and those are thrilling to drive specifically because of how happy they are to kill you.
    This! Especially for those who wore out VHS copies of Faszination

User Tag List