Page 16 of 190 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666116 ... LastLast

Thread: The Semi-Unofficial Pistol-Forum Car geek, gearhead, hot rodder, and vehicle thread

I pretty much don't like touching anything that looks like I need degrees in aerospace engineering, neuroscience, and orthoscopic surgery to work on.
    However, I've had a strange hankering for a 928, to go along with the C4/C5/C6 thoughts.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    The 928 engine is f'in enormous, so it should be a great candidate for an LS swap. A buddy of mine had one back in the mid-'90s when they weren't nearly as old as they are now. He sent it down the road after replacing several too many stupid little pieces of trim that fell off or broke and cost $300 for the part. Nothing "expensive" went wrong that I know of. None of the problems he had would be addressed by swapping in an LS.

Also, almost anything German made after 1980 or so is a complete mofo to put a wrench on.

I still would have a hard time resisting a really clean 944 with serious engine problems. All the discussion upthread of modern inline turbo fours would apply. Imagine a 944T with 350-400 hp at the wheels and 150-200 lb off the front end...
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    I pretty much don't like touching anything that looks like I need degrees in aerospace engineering, neuroscience, and orthoscopic surgery to work on.
    However, I've had a strange hankering for a 928, to go along with the C4/C5/C6 thoughts.
    A 928 would be awesome, for the first 4 minutes that it ran. Then you'd not only need degrees in all of the above, but also a bank account with a substantial number of digits prior to the decimal in it and it wouldn't hurt to be circus acrobat to help you get into some of the tight spaces in there.

I mentioned in the Overland thread elsewhere my new-to-me FJ Cruiser is doing well. I actually haven't replaced the oxygen sensors yet. I started simple, I force-cleared the codes, filled it full of premium fuel, dumped a half a can of Seafoam into the tank and drove the shit out of it. I'm sure I'll have to eventually replace the O2 sensors, but first I wanted to get everything warmed up and rag on it a bit and blow the cobwebs out. It's amazing, to me, how often doing things like that not only find other potential problems (worn/bad vacuum lines, etc). But just plain old improve things. Engines really aren't meant to sit and idle and my mom has been driving ~50 miles a week. I worry less with a direct-injected engine in the CX5, where they tend to actually warm up faster and besides direct injection tends to clean carbon and gunk out more readily anyways. The FJ just wants good gas and to occasionally get driven with some abandon and doing so has it running better, starting up quicker, etc. I'll be sure and take the new O2 sensors with me back to Chi, because I'll probably have to replace them sooner than later. But I'm glad to see the truck is running better overall. I just did 600 miles in a round trip to Austin and back with a bunch of driving in Austin without any issues.

New tires go on tomorrow.

Sometime in the spring the new suspension...A 2" lift using Dirt King Fabrication heavy duty lower and heim-joint upper control arms and 2.5" King Coilovers and matching King rear shocks (Toyota OEM spec). And then eventually a Demello Offroad Evil Eye front bumper and Warrior Products steel rear bumper.

Already got a few other bits and pieces on the way, an OrangeBoxx steel dead pedal and wheel-well mount storage box. The truck is a 2007 TRD Edition, but I much prefer the later TRD Edition grill and headlight surrounds, along with the blackout mirrors and door handles. So those will go on eventually.

My biggest debate right now - Do I swap the OE roof-rack for a flat rack - like the Baja Rack. Or do I remove it entirely and go slick-top?

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    Yeah, I don't have any experience with BMWs, but Audis are not what I would call cheap to fix, and I expect the costs are quite similar, if not exactly equivalent. Your neighbor will find out if he keeps the A4 long enough.
    Seems to me that you have two types of luxury car buyers/owners
    1) actual rich guys that can afford to buy new and that are never going to keep them long enough to experience the truly expensive failures
    2) enthusiasts that are willing to put up with the cost of maintenance/repairs (or, are too naive to know what they are getting into)

Sounds like the neighbor may have gone from group 2 to group 1.

3) Frugal enthusiasts who buy recent off-lease / CPO cars and save a ton of money then drive the daylights off the car with a factory warranty for a couple years.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Imagine a 944T with 350-400 hp at the wheels and 150-200 lb off the front end...
    It's a good thing I don't have the money (or garage space) for that, because it sure sounds interesting to me. I'd be somewhat inclined to start with an actual 951 because there are no small number of uprated parts between a 944 and a 951, plus I'd be curious to find out how much could be gotten out of the original Porsche engine vs it sounding like you'd intend a swap of some kind.

Really, though, I just want a 993. Too bad they're appreciating - that makes it doubtful I'll ever be able to afford one. I did a quick search last night, and even high miles base 993 Carreras seem to be $60,000+ unless they're really beat up, convertibles, and/or have had ugly body kit things done to them, and even then, they're still $40,000+. Seems like similar things are going on with 964s as well.

Out in the land of complete insanity, there was a dealer advertising a 993TT for $900,000. Even adjusting the original retail price for inflation and allowing for the fact that the car is basically new (the ad says it's only done 532 miles), that's just bonkers. There was also a 18K mile Turbo S for $450,000. Used cars for prices that would buy really nice houses...

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    A 928 would be awesome, for the first 4 minutes that it ran. Then you'd not only need degrees in all of the above, but also a bank account with a substantial number of digits prior to the decimal in it and it wouldn't hurt to be circus acrobat to help you get into some of the tight spaces in there.

I mentioned in the Overland thread elsewhere my new-to-me FJ Cruiser is doing well. I actually haven't replaced the oxygen sensors yet. I started simple, I force-cleared the codes, filled it full of premium fuel, dumped a half a can of Seafoam into the tank and drove the shit out of it. I'm sure I'll have to eventually replace the O2 sensors, but first I wanted to get everything warmed up and rag on it a bit and blow the cobwebs out. It's amazing, to me, how often doing things like that not only find other potential problems (worn/bad vacuum lines, etc). But just plain old improve things. Engines really aren't meant to sit and idle and my mom has been driving ~50 miles a week. I worry less with a direct-injected engine in the CX5, where they tend to actually warm up faster and besides direct injection tends to clean carbon and gunk out more readily anyways. The FJ just wants good gas and to occasionally get driven with some abandon and doing so has it running better, starting up quicker, etc. I'll be sure and take the new O2 sensors with me back to Chi, because I'll probably have to replace them sooner than later. But I'm glad to see the truck is running better overall. I just did 600 miles in a round trip to Austin and back with a bunch of driving in Austin without any issues.

New tires go on tomorrow.

Sometime in the spring the new suspension...A 2" lift using Dirt King Fabrication heavy duty lower and heim-joint upper control arms and 2.5" King Coilovers and matching King rear shocks (Toyota OEM spec). And then eventually a Demello Offroad Evil Eye front bumper and Warrior Products steel rear bumper.

Already got a few other bits and pieces on the way, an OrangeBoxx steel dead pedal and wheel-well mount storage box. The truck is a 2007 TRD Edition, but I much prefer the later TRD Edition grill and headlight surrounds, along with the blackout mirrors and door handles. So those will go on eventually.

My biggest debate right now - Do I swap the OE roof-rack for a flat rack - like the Baja Rack. Or do I remove it entirely and go slick-top?
    Yea I know. I'm insane enough to want to have one anyways. I'm the kind of crazy that looks at my mom's PT Cruiser and thinks "you know, it'd probably be easier to do the timing belt and associated service, if I did it engine out, and it's only 4 bolts to drop the cradle to do that..." Seriously when the time comes for the neon to get it's junk gently cupped and fondled, I'll probably do just that.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    3) Frugal enthusiasts who buy recent off-lease / CPO cars and save a ton of money then drive the daylights off the car with a factory warranty for a couple years.
    I'd like to hear more about how to make that happen. Wile I *can* afford a new Macan, I don't really want to tie the money up in a new one, and would love to find a way to skip the depreciation while maintaining the factory warranty.

Although, even then, I suspect that it's still a "rich guy's" game since I have to assume that even if I buy a 2 year old Macan, then sell it 2 years later, I'm still going to take a bath.

New shoes. There was a bit of a miscommunication with Discount and I ended up with LTs instead of Ps. More expensive, but should be more durable in the long term. Ride is a little rougher, but noise isn’t any different which was the big one for me.

Name:  A1616013-DC66-430E-AACD-5C4EC50C017F.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  101.9 KB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    It's a good thing I don't have the money (or garage space) for that, because it sure sounds interesting to me. I'd be somewhat inclined to start with an actual 951 because there are no small number of uprated parts between a 944 and a 951, plus I'd be curious to find out how much could be gotten out of the original Porsche engine vs it sounding like you'd intend a swap of some kind.

Really, though, I just want a 993. Too bad they're appreciating - that makes it doubtful I'll ever be able to afford one. I did a quick search last night, and even high miles base 993 Carreras seem to be $60,000+ unless they're really beat up, convertibles, and/or have had ugly body kit things done to them, and even then, they're still $40,000+. Seems like similar things are going on with 964s as well.

Out in the land of complete insanity, there was a dealer advertising a 993TT for $900,000. Even adjusting the original retail price for inflation and allowing for the fact that the car is basically new (the ad says it's only done 532 miles), that's just bonkers. There was also a 18K mile Turbo S for $450,000. Used cars for prices that would buy really nice houses...
    On 993's: Back in '04-05 I worked at a very different and speed shop that has long since closed, and my boss owned a 993TT with a few tasteful modifications including bigger turbos and the associated bits to match. I had the pleasure of driving it back to back with a 996TT X50 package car owned by a customer with a few bolt ons as well. We didn't have an AWD dyno but the packages were estimated at 450awhp in the 993TT and 500awhp with the 996TT X50.

Only the most die hard P-car purist that wanted to impress other Porsche people could conclude that the 993 was in any way superior as a whole. The 996TT had somewhat softer steering but otherwise everything was better the 996. It had better brakes, better throttle response, it was faster, the shifter was better, etc.
    The 993 Did have a unique engine note that sounded absolutely fantastic but the X50 pkg 996 with an aftermarket exhaust had a great sound too.
    Drag racing the two of them was inconclusive - the additional 50whp hauled the 996's additional heft without incident but from a highway roll or a dig, whoever took the hit would nose out ahead and hold the same lead into triple digit speeds.

Personally, book values aside, I'd take a well kept 996 X50 pkg car any day of the week over a 993 and twice on Sunday. If I wanted a real OG Porsche, the 930 Turbo's and 964 Turbo's are the ones to have, and those are thrilling to drive specifically because of how happy they are to kill you.

Now, if one was not married to the notion of a flat-6 Porsche exhaust note, I'd buy a cheap IMS bearing-failure 996 Carrera 2 and stuff a Renegade Hybrids LSx kit into it with a hot cam LS3 crate motor. I got to drive one, and it is a fucking riot of a combination.
    The P-car guys will turn up their noses at you of course, but you'll stomp everything except a well-prepped TT AWD 911 around a track or in a drag race and pretty much everyone else will think it's awesome.

Having gotten to closely eyeball the same Renegade V8 996 I drove, I'm pretty sure I could get a single turbo + air-to-water IC setup to fit without cutting very much, and THAT is my kind of crazy.

User Tag List