Page 59 of 190 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169109159 ... LastLast

Thread: The Semi-Unofficial Pistol-Forum Car geek, gearhead, hot rodder, and vehicle thread

Not sure if covered already, but could I get some input on garage flooring?

I am moving into a new place with a small two-car (25x18) garage. It will have a concrete floor.

My main uses are for parking, and light duty maintenance (oil changes, brakes etc.)

I’ve seen those polymer squares such as Racedeck or Swisstrax, and they look cool. I’m a little concerned though about using a jack on them, or lifting a wheel and having the tile move due to suspension take up as the car is lifted. As well, what about oil leaks through the tiles, or other moisture.

I see also Costco makes a version of these, as does Weathertech.

I had one bad experience with epoxy, the previous owner / installer did not prep it well and it lifted from the concrete. Tile is a maybe, but a bit spendy and I’m not sure how practical it is in a garage if I drop tools on it.

Any advice appreciated.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I'm not sure what it was, but the garage I grew up with was concrete with just a really good sealer on it. Not heavy epoxy. Never lifted or peeled, stuff wiped off, etc. I'd research that. Beyond that, I view the tiles as temporary. You're right to think about spills getting under them.

Epoxy can be really good if it's prepped right. Also needs proper grit embedded or it can get slippery.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    I think I count as a former car guy. Used to do a bit of racing but gave it up due to cost. Started in SCCA Solo II but moved to 24Hrs of Lemons when that series was getting started. Did that for a few years racing a Civic. Some races I drove, others I was pit crew. Total blast and sometimes I miss it. Wheel to wheel racing kinda ruined me though. Autocross and track days just don't seem worth the effort in comparison. Kinda like going to an indoor range with a "no holsters no rapid fire" rule vs shooting a USPSA match.

The only fun personal car I had was a 91 Miata. It was a fantastic car that I foolishly sold when we were bouncing naround as renters before buying our first home. Didn't have a good place to keep it and work on it.

Coming up on 10 years later we've got the house, and garage. Just paid to have 1200 square feet added to the driveway so it extends naround and behind the house. Recently acquired an old low mileage Tundra in excellent condition. These are the building blocks for enabling the car hobby to return. I'm thinking more project street car than race car.

After watching Ford vs Ferarri I can't shake the idea that a V8 Miata would be the modern equivalent of Shelby's original Cobra.
    https://youtu.be/i1FpKlFwQzE

Red face

Nothing fancy like an old school Porsche but I picked up a 94 Bronco since I sold my GTI to get out from a stupid car loan. It’s been changed a bit since this pic was taken with new Alcoa’s put on, I have some Eddie Bauer sidesteps on the way, engine has been redone, transmission has been rebuilt, new exhaust, new bumpers, and replaced the doors with powered mirrors. Currently it’s in the body shop getting body work and all new paint. After that it’s new carpet and refreshing the plastic pieces inside and it’s done. With the new ones coming out the prices for OBS are going up up up lol.

The advantage to the tiles is, they snap up and down. So, you can remove them and clean an area if you have an oil spill. In terms of moisture, you could lay a moisture resistant barrier down (tyvek) and lay your tile on top of them. If you're not covering the entire garage floor, then the concerns over movement might be a problem. But think of them like big lego blocks that are using the edge of your garage to anchor them in place. If one moves a lot of other tiles will be moving simultaneous to that. The polymer these things are made out of is flexible, but stable...think Glock frame.

I doubt you'd do more than dent the tile if you drop a tool on it. Sharp edged feet from jack stands might dig-in.

Have you researched flooring options over on the Garage Journal forum? https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/ - Those guys are nerds about garage stuff, like we're all nerds about gun stuff. Way nerdier than me, because I go out and work in my garage and I think alot of those guys actually make their garage their hobby...not the place that houses the hobby.

I am too cheap for the tile. We built a house so the garage floor was relatively clean prior to the epoxy. Still did all the prep, added grit, and the wife helped me roll. It was Rustoleum brand and we needed 3 kits.

It held up well under my wife's car but my F150 tires seemed to wear it more. I ended up using small mats placed where the tire marks were. We moved after 2 years so I have no idea how it held up beyond that.

I would be curious if there is another option of paying to have some commercial grade epoxy put down.

Checkered racetrax tiles (or whatever it's called) looks cool though and you can take it with you.

Sticker spotted on a Macan Turbo with a license plate billing itself as an extra large 911:

Name:  27E3C10B-9904-4558-89E4-D157D17941CC.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  36.6 KB
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Hammertime
    Okay I am thinking of selling the beloved 150k mileage 2001 Z3 3.0 that I put 1500 miles a year on and replacing it with: A Chevy Bolt.

Talk me down.

Justification: Used prices are stupid high. The Z3 is currently in great condition. Small electrics are also "fun to drive" and I have Solar. Just need it for around town stuff, no road trips etc I have other cars for that. In addition I can get significant some employee discounts on the Bolt.

My worry is the Bolt is already a 4yo design which is a lifetime for electrics and the next gen electrics will be all that much better and I don't think they are far off.

BMW costs me next to nothing to keep unless I blow something up on it, which try as I might I can not seem to do.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    When I sold my BMW, it was costing me about $50/month to tag and insure and something ridiculous like $0.05/mile for maintenance. Gas was the big expense. It was a 20-year-old BMW, so it was a hooptie, but it was a really nice to drive hooptie. If your Z is as clean as you say, it may remain a good driver for far longer than a brand new electric.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

@Doc_Glock

Before you act, I would do some more research about the Z3's predicted market. What I am seeing for Z3 prices doesn't count as "stupid high" compared to what it could be in as little as 3-5 years given what's going on with the other desirable BMWs from that era...largely regarded as the high-point of BMWs.

Go look at a E39 chassis M5 and what they go for compared to just a few years ago. All of those guys who sold them a few years ago are probably kicking themselves. The E46 chassis M3 is still in the lull where it's good to buy them, and most everyone is predicting them going for $40k-60k in a few years just like the E39 M5 has had happen. So, I don't know what's predicted for the Z3, but it's fairly well regaled by enthusiasts and while you don't have an M-car you do at least have the 3.0, not the 2.3/2.5.

When talking about these older cars nearing classic status, as opposed to the current vehicle shortage their valuation has much more to do with a supposed/feared sunset of ICE analog cars as EVs become the norm and tech/infotainment bloated cars overwhelm humanity. This trend started before covid.

Your Z3 is a real roadster. The Chevy Bolt is an iPad on wheels. Given it doesn't make financial sense to sell the Z3 now compared to what it could bring in a few years, what do you actually want? You've already had it for 20 years, what's another few for the sake of investment? Is there a way you can keep the Z3 and still buy the Bolt, or must you sell the Z3 to get a Bolt?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List