Page 177 of 191 FirstFirst ... 77127167175176177178179187 ... LastLast
Results 1,761 to 1,770 of 1901

Thread: The Semi-Unofficial Pistol-Forum Car geek, gearhead, hot rodder, and vehicle thread

silver jeep now runs.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    Hyundai corporate tried to play it off as a misquote from an independent dealer, but a second person had the same experience;
    There's no rational way a battery and labor costs significantly more than the entire car. 2 people probably isn't the entire population who's needed a battery swap.

Sounds to me like the old "we have to bid this job but we don't want this job" idea you see in construction sometimes. Intentionally make the bid stupid high and hope your competitors weren't stupidly higher.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

silver convertible is back on the road... and then it broke something in the driver's parking brake mechanism during the test drive. *sigh*
    hopefully can get to that tomorrow, depending on the weather. 1 step forward 2 steps back.

also, the minivan now leaks water/coolant out as fast as I can pour it in, from someplace behind the engine. probably a broken hose or a yeeted freeze plug I bet.

jeep is now in Mr. Plow mode, not that i'm going to see anything really. here's hoping someone from the plow forum decides they need help up north and call me.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3

Hammertime
    The Vette got Koni Sport adjustable shocks back in October. After a few months with them I can say they are a much batter match to the Z51 suspension than the Bilstein B6 which were comfy but not as controlled.

Name:  IMG_4023.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  56.7 KB

A friend also let me drive his C8 and that was good medicine for any desire for a Porsche. Not that I don’t still love Porsches because seriously what car guy can resist the allure. But they just don’t pencil from a dollar to performance standpoint.

Hammertime
    My C8 driving review if anyone cares.

C8 Corvette Notes
    12/12/23 Drove 2022 C8 convertible (top up). Z51 Magneride. Pilot Sport 4S tires. ELSD, shorter rear axle ratio

Route: Up and down Whitespar (tight canyon road, speeds 30-80mph) Cold, clear, dry conditions around freezing.

Cockpit is comfortable and easy to get around. It’s a very comfortable place to spend time. Visibility forward great. Not great towards sides. Rear is not great but fine for driving. Backing up could be drama but I didn’t try that. Feels tighter inside than a C6 but much higher quality. Great seat boltsters and adjustability. Square steering wheel is fine. Tons of technology which I did not play with. And finally the cup holders are wide, deep, and robust.

Easy to putt around parking lots in Drive.
    Quiet inside and comfortable ride as usual with Vettes.

At speed, driving in “Z” mode:
    engine has incredible torque curve. You are never waiting for power. Revs smoothly to redline with no dead spots.
    Transmission is incredibly responsive, kicking down instantly and upshifts are immediate. Responds instantly to paddles if desired but I found in Auto the car always was in the right gear if I was driving hard. It kicked down imperceptibly under hard braking with zero jarring of the car. The braking downshifts really impressed me.

Handling: it handles like a much smaller car. Steering is extremely precise allowing you to put it anywhere on the road. Front end bite is prodigious. When it starts to let
    go, the rear comes out just slightly as the front starts to give up with a lot of early communication and is easily caught. It definitely talks to you and again feels like a much smaller, lighter car.

I can notice the engine weight/COG at my back and I have to say I really like that feeling.

Braking is ridiculous. I came into a couple turns using my usual braking and was stopped 2-3 car lengths before my C6 would be slowed. Lots of reserve. No drama.

We did a launch and it’s stupid easy. Brake, floor gas, release brake. Hold on. 60mph in 3.1s at 5000’ elevation(14% down on power). Wow that was thrilling. Had a few choice words.

My main question about the C8 was, can a car this large and heavy be fun. I already know it’s quite capable. The answer is yes! It’s amazing and really at this level of vehicle comparing to other sports cars is splitting hairs. They are all awesome. The C8 can be fun, it can be fast, it can be chill or cruise for days.

Chevrolet hit it out of the park and driving one was good medicine for the Porsche bug.

Definitely option this car with Z51 package at a minimum.

Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Another one for @JRB and the other turboheads around here

Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

pulled both rear wheels off to inspect the parking brake assemblies.
    as suspected, the driver's assembly has yeeted 1 shoe lining, and the other was dragging around in there.
    i'm not wasting brand new shoes on this thing right now, so I cleared out all the debris and wound the adjuster all the way in, and left the naked shoes in place.
    passenger side has pretty darn good looking shoes considering, so I adjusted that one out to make it work (and some moron before me installed the adjuster upside down, no wonder I couldn't get that side to work.)
    so now it as 1 working parking brake corner.

took the kid out in the "snow storm" to do some very low traction driving practice. showed him how to do the equivalent of "tray donuts" in a FWD car.
    as we were coming home I noticed the temp gauge was above normal... and climbing. OH (&#$(#
    got home with the over-warm light chiming on. discovered I forgot to plug in the cooling fan harness.
    hopefully nothing's been hurt. that would SUCK.

On the hunt for a OEM air box and intake plenum for the 2012 2500HD I just bought, and it seems there is a fair number of variations in the stock plenums and air boxes over the years of this body style, and I've gotta find the specific one that'll work with my truck. I screwed up and purchased a box/tube that is actually for a 5.3... so I'll have to relist that on the local classifieds and hope I can at least get some of my money back out of it. Oooops.

ETA: It came with a K&N cold air intake installed... and I'm not a fan of them for my uses (lots of dusty desert roads). It sounds nice and throaty, but HP gain is a measly 10HP, according to K&N.

Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    took the kid out in the "snow storm" to do some very low traction driving practice.
    I am forever thankful my father took me out in my first truck (79 Toyota 4x4) in the first snow storm after I got my license, and insisted that I learn to drive up and down hill and dale on snow packed roads, first in 2WD... and only later in 4WD. "Lets go check some signs around the city" he had said... (he was in charge of public works ) and then scolded me when I went to lock in the hubs before we left.

User Tag List