Page 22 of 190 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272122 ... LastLast

Thread: The Semi-Unofficial Pistol-Forum Car geek, gearhead, hot rodder, and vehicle thread

Yeah, it's pretty weird that the BRZ/FRS only got the naturally aspirated version of the WRX engine. I keep expecting them to do a higher-end version with a turbo, stickier tires, sportier suspension, etc., and they keep not doing it.

FR-S is a fine chassis for an engine swap. Why Toyota opted to use the worst part of a Subaru, still doesn’t make sense to me.

So many good ‘Yota engines to slot into the chassis.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    If it wasn't a Subaru motor, there wouldn't have been a BR-Z and the whole thing probably never would have happened.

The failboat was thinking they were still in 1991 or some other year before WRXs and Evos, when a 4A-GE at 8000 rpm was awesome, and engineering the chassis so it couldn't package any of Subaru's turbo engines. That chassis with a WRX engine would be worth it.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

The trouble is, neither company was really committed to making the platform work. In a case that is seen all too often, you take two competing groups and try to draw a collaboration out of them, it usually doesn’t work.

Ostensibly, we will get a new 2nd Gen Toyobaru with the turbo 2.4 from the Legacy. I won’t hold my breath. Importantly, it’ll never see the curb under 3000 pounds. Which defeats the purpose.

I feel like car makers are taking a page from the hollyweird playbook, and doing remakes of the shit that used to make them money. Problem is, it feels like they're failing much like hollyweird is with the same concept. The shell might look proper, but the soul is destroyed.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    The problem is, they're all out of ideas.

In reality, if they just kept making the E46 330 for the next 50 years with less weight, more power, better performance and enhanced electronics (and maybe even eventually reliability and design for service), it would continue to be the best practical car ever built. It would continue to be the best looking sedan ever built. Just like our Air Force full of 50-year-old planes. When the A-10s get new wings, it's not for style.

It's the relentless artificial necessity of making everything new every four years or so that uses up all the good ideas and causes the world to be filled with ideas that nobody cares about.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    The problem is, they're all out of ideas.

It's the relentless artificial necessity of making everything new every four years or so that uses up all the good ideas and causes the world to be filled with ideas that nobody cares about.
    That sound you hear is the wailing and gnashing of teeth in marketing departments across the globe because you let out the secret...
    Last edited by awp_101; 01-14-2020 at 12:42 PM.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Found this going through my picture folders. Never did find out the particulars or the whys of it.

Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Forgive me, but I drove a BMW M4CS today, and it was good. Really really good.

Lots of carbon fiber, alcantara, leather and curves. LED lights, OLED brake lights, Composite brakes and wiiide tires. They took the M4, spread on a bunch of goodness from the M4 GTS parts bin, and tuned it pretty well.

I’ve been driving a manual M3 for 25 years now (with a few gaps while overseas), and my only disappointment with the M4CS is that it is unavailable with a manual. The 7-speed dual-clutch just does not give the same satisfaction and driver involvement from a well-shifted car.

20 years ago I bought an M3 LTW languishing on a dealer’s lot unsold, because it was too track-focused. Got it at a smokin’ deal. That car was more fun than anything, especially on the track. I put thousands of track miles on that car at various driver’s schools over the years, as I learned how to drive better and smoother.

(Not a picture of my car)
    Name:  4AE3D9C1-A8F6-4D67-A01A-055030EBB45D.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  63.0 KB

Fast-forward to today, and the dealers have M4 CSs they cannot move. I’ve found a white one and a red one offered for $25k below list price. Brand new. The dealers are having difficulty selling them. Good news for me. I don’t think I can resist the temptation. And for the mix of performance and features I like, I can’t touch it at that discount in other models or brands.

I’m afraid I might not be using a clutch pedal soon.

Name:  0A6E0A0F-63C1-4CA2-87F7-31B0AEA85B45.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  59.1 KB

Name:  3809D03F-E353-4F89-9B56-5A382CB80B90.jpeg
Views: 184
Size:  72.0 KB
    Last edited by Trigger; 01-17-2020 at 11:13 PM.
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Triggerf16 View Post
    Forgive me, but I drove a BMW M4CS today, and it was good. Really really good.

Lots of carbon fiber, alcantara, leather and curves. LED lights, OLED brake lights, Composite brakes and wiiide tires. They took the M4, spread on a bunch of goodness from the M4 GTS parts bin, and tuned it pretty well.

I’ve been driving a manual M3 for 25 years now (with a few gaps while overseas), and my only disappointment with the M4CS is that it is unavailable with a manual. The 7-speed dual-clutch just does not give the same satisfaction and driver involvement from a well-shifted car.

20 years ago I bought an M3 LTW languishing on a dealer’s lot unsold, because it was too track-focused. Got it at a smokin’ deal. That car was more fun than anything, especially on the track. I put thousands of track miles on that car at various driver’s schools over the years, as I learned how to drive better and smoother.

(Not a picture of my car)
    Name:  4AE3D9C1-A8F6-4D67-A01A-055030EBB45D.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  63.0 KB

Fast-forward to today, and the dealers have M4 CSs they cannot move. I’ve found a white one and a red one offered for $25k below list price. Brand new. The dealers are having difficulty selling them. Good news for me. I don’t think I can resist the temptation. And for the mix of performance and features I like, I can’t touch it at that discount in other models or brands.

I’m afraid I might not be using a clutch pedal soon.

Name:  0A6E0A0F-63C1-4CA2-87F7-31B0AEA85B45.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  59.1 KB

Name:  3809D03F-E353-4F89-9B56-5A382CB80B90.jpeg
Views: 184
Size:  72.0 KB
    You’re killin’ me, Trigger.

I still remember my ride with you in the LTW at my first driver’s school - and the lightbulbs that came on. After the next session, my instructor asked “what happed to you over lunch?”

If you can get an M4CS for $25 K under MSRP, I’d say buy it and enjoy it. You’re in the small fraction of the population that can really appreciate what it offers.

As to losing the clutch pedal... after 14 yrs of driving my E36 M3, and 6 yrs of driving the E86 M Coupe, I added an E46 M3 with SMG II. (It was a great deal, and I couldn’t resist). I’m actually really enjoying the SMG. It’s a nice change of pace. It’ll be interesting to get back into the M Coupe in the spring and see how much I really missed the clutch. I think the SMG is teaching me how to get the most out of the S54, though. That might pay off when driving the M Coupe.

Anyway, thanks for sharing.
    I’ll look forward to your report when you decide what your next move is.

User Tag List