Page 107 of 190 FirstFirst ... 75797105106107108109117157 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,070 of 1900

Thread: The Semi-Unofficial Pistol-Forum Car geek, gearhead, hot rodder, and vehicle thread

@Duelist

How about the Hyundai Tucson or Kona?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    @Duelist

I’d look at Mazda in that segment.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    @Duelist

My Mother-In-Law is on her second late model Kona in as many years. First one was a lemon law buyback. She only went back to Hyundai because the GM at that particular Florida Panhandle dealership is another level of snake that was such a slimy ass-kisser that even common sense could not prevail. I'd avoid Hyundai there.
    Santa Fe's and Sonatas are good. Makes no sense to me but that's what I've observed.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Français View Post
    I’d look at Mazda in that segment.
    Yes, or Honda. Preferably Honda.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    There's a good chance it has chewed on wires. Rats like to do that when the 12V is energized. I don't know how they can pick it up through the insulation. But my understanding is that taking the battery out, besides preserving the battery better, makes the rodents uninterested in chewing on everything electrical when it's in long-term storage.
    Car dealership probably isn't going to disconnect and reconnect batteries all day, though.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    Yes, or Honda. Preferably Honda.
    You’d go CR-V over CX-5? The RDX is nice.

Site Supporter
    Opinions on the E46 330Ci as a fun car, assuming high mileage, good condition, and meticulous maintenance records?

Site Supporter
    You’d go CR-V over CX-5? The RDX is nice.
    Depends on the model year. For something in the 2014 and earlier range, I'd go CR-V all day every day. But Honda's early implementations of the CVT transmissions starting with the 2015 or so in those left a lot to be desired. I really like the RDX's specifically because they avoided the CVT transmissions.

If buying a lower-optioned sort of CUV in that range that's newer than 2015, I'd definitely look at CX-5's.

Opinions on the E46 330Ci as a fun car, assuming high mileage, good condition, and meticulous maintenance records?
    If it's a ZHP package car with a 6-spd manual it'll be pretty sporty and fun compared to most cars, but being realistic it'll get smoked by a lot of boring Hybrid cars these days and the MPG isn't fantastic for the performance delivered. I'd also be forever leery of persistent E46 electrical problems, failing plastic parts in the engine bay that are inexplicably expensive, etc. By the end of the E46 run most of the VANOS failures were sorted out and by now it'll likely have had the VANOS stuff replaced/serviced/fixed with a timing chain replacement to boot.

If you find one in really nice shape (like, wife is happy riding in it, cold A/C, zero problems) for $5-6k it's a decent choice for a low cost sporty but somewhat comfortable driving experience. But I'd expect to have to spend $500-1000 at least once a year on some sort of surprise failure.
    2002-2004 Lexus IS300's are another good option in the same ballpark if you're willing to trade the ZHP BMW feel and 6MT for unrelenting reliability and a 5AT auto. There are 5MT IS300's but IMHO they're not worth the premium they command these days.

Ha! Ran across this photo of Magnus, the Red Beast himself. My ‘67 Austin Cooper S 1275, balanced and blueprinted by Avonbar Racing. This was in Oviedo FL about 2009 or so; I think I had just installed the original 3 1/2Jx10 wheels. Bought in UK, had it must have been 15 years.

Always fun to fill up the twin tanks. FL lady asked me once if it was an electric car. At the gas station. With a pump in my hand.

Name:  272AE23B-208D-4FDF-B8B6-94E4D7160B29.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  77.8 KB

Oh and my BMIHT Cert:

Name:  5E0996A2-9C39-4767-B412-28DBF61FA141.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  58.1 KB
    Last edited by RJ; 07-26-2022 at 11:36 AM.

It can be...my 8 year run with my 2003 330i 6MT is posted here:

https://www.bimmerfest.com/threads/m...8/post-2622044

@JRB is correct. Add failing window regulators, lousy ZKW HID headlight bowls and of course the accursed cooling system where to be safe you just change the coolant tank, water pump and thermostat every 30k just to be on the safe side.

I sold mine in 2013 as the interior was getting ratty and I’d just dumped $1,800 to address some CEL or other.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I'm kinda sorta looking for an E46 non-330 Ci (because smaller parking brake drums) to put a Honda engine into and strip out into a track car that would be as light as possible. No sunroof would be gravy. So, basically, a chassis donor. Once you reinforce and weld something properly, it doesn't need to be done again any time soon. No A/C, no window regulators, no interior dilapidation, etc. I can live with the differential being the sole remaining BMW drivetrain part.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List