Page 116 of 190 FirstFirst ... 1666106114115116117118126166 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,160 of 1900

Thread: The Semi-Unofficial Pistol-Forum Car geek, gearhead, hot rodder, and vehicle thread

If you are thinking C6 I'd look for a ZO6. They seem to be the best bang for the buck in autocross.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    If you are thinking C6 I'd look for a ZO6. They seem to be the best bang for the buck in autocross.

The C6 Z06 is a magnificent beast, truly. It's my Muse as far as modern domestics go. No kidding, About twice a month I get a 'just sell all of your Japanese shitboxes and buy a C6 Z06' bug and it's getting harder and harder to resist.

But the downside is that a quality example of a C6 Z06 is in the $50-60k+ range right now. If you're fearless about wrenching on them (like I am), and willing to deal with higher mileage, problems, overdue maintenance etc you can find them in the 40's and even the 30's but virtually every one of those has 'stories'. Or it's yellow. Or both.

By comparison, spending low 20's for an LS3 6-spd C6 in an attractive configuration, particularly with the Z51 package suspension and brakes, is a heck of a lot more bang for the buck. It also avoids the 'Z06 tax' on maintenance parts and other components. Plus, as @Bucky already pointed out, those LS3's respond to supercharging VERY well.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    The C6 Z06 is a magnificent beast, truly. It's my Muse as far as modern domestics go. No kidding, About twice a month I get a 'just sell all of your Japanese shitboxes and buy a C6 Z06' bug and it's getting harder and harder to resist.

But the downside is that a quality example of a C6 Z06 is in the $50-60k+ range right now. If you're fearless about wrenching on them (like I am), and willing to deal with higher mileage, problems, overdue maintenance etc you can find them in the 40's and even the 30's but virtually every one of those has 'stories'. Or it's yellow. Or both.

By comparison, spending low 20's for an LS3 6-spd C6 in an attractive configuration, particularly with the Z51 package suspension and brakes, is a heck of a lot more bang for the buck. It also avoids the 'Z06 tax' on maintenance parts and other components. Plus, as @Bucky already pointed out, those LS3's respond to supercharging VERY well.
    I've kicked around the notion of supercharging my Camaro multiple times, but ultimately decide I don't trust me enough to equip me with that sort of juice. Same reason I never got a zoom-splat motorcycle. I just know me too well.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    My experience with Costco Tires is to expect that I am more likely to be able to eat an entire $10 pizza without heartburn than to get quality service from their tire idiots.

I've been a Costco member for more than a dozen years and I genuinely like Costco. But their tire department is their weakest link as a retailer.
    My experience was pleasant. I took the minivan and had Michelins installed by them a few months back. 3 weeks later I picked up a screw in one of the tires and I took it back to the store for repair. It was a busy Saturday but they turned it around in 20 minutes.

On edit: For years I used Discount Tire but the last experience was terrible. They rebalanced the tires 3 times and could not get them smooth at 70-80 MPH. We have 80 MPH speed limits here so I drive that speed on a regular basis, and it drove me nuts.
    Last edited by SecondsCount; 08-18-2022 at 10:58 PM.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I've kicked around the notion of supercharging my Camaro multiple times, but ultimately decide I don't trust me enough to equip me with that sort of juice. Same reason I never got a zoom-splat motorcycle. I just know me too well.
    5th Gen Camaro, right?

I think you'd be surprised at how well the 5th Gen deals with making 550-600whp. Plus, speaking from experience I think you'd instinctively respect the throttle a lot more, and you'll find yourself driving more conservatively as a result. But when its a clear sunny day with barely any traffic and a nice open freeway on-ramp, you'll enjoy the difference a LOT.

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    My experience was pleasant. I took the minivan and had Michelins installed by them a few months back. 3 weeks later I picked up a screw in one of the tires and I took it back to the store for repair. It was a busy Saturday but they turned it around in 20 minutes.

On edit: For years I used Discount Tire but the last experience was terrible. They rebalanced the tires 3 times and could not get them smooth at 70-80 MPH. We have 80 MPH speed limits here so I drive that speed on a regular basis, and it drove me nuts.
    It's a minivan on Michelins. That's easy as hell to get right. Nice fat sidewalls so it's easy as hell to mount them, wheels that are probably already curb rashed (because minivan), tires that don't care what side or direction they're mounted, etc.
    Nonetheless I've seen plenty of cases of Costco screwing that kind of stuff up.

And in most cases, if you can't balance that wheel or tire there's something physically wrong with one of both of them.

5th Gen Camaro, right?

I think you'd be surprised at how well the 5th Gen deals with making 550-600whp. Plus, speaking from experience I think you'd instinctively respect the throttle a lot more, and you'll find yourself driving more conservatively as a result. But when its a clear sunny day with barely any traffic and a nice open freeway on-ramp, you'll enjoy the difference a LOT.
    Yeah, a 2011 2SS/RS LS3/6M. I know they handle the power pretty nicely, and mine is already on an improved suspension. I've already exceeded the boundaries of wisdom a time or two on unfinished interstates and general shenanigans have occurred more than once. I should probably just leave it be.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Yeah, a 2011 2SS/RS LS3/6M. I know they handle the power pretty nicely, and mine is already on an improved suspension. I've already exceeded the boundaries of wisdom a time or two on unfinished interstates and general shenanigans have occurred more than once. I should probably just leave it be.
    That's a fantastic combination to have in a 5th gen - definitely a 'keeper' until you get a C6/C7 Z06

There's a lot of wisdom in your approach here. My advice to any and all 'car people' is so long as the car always puts a smile on your face, just leave it alone and keep smiling. I wish I'd learned that lesson a long time ago, before I got caught up in HP wars and drag strips and all that.

That's a fantastic combination to have in a 5th gen - definitely a 'keeper' until you get a C6/C7 Z06

There's a lot of wisdom in your approach here. My advice to any and all 'car people' is so long as the car always puts a smile on your face, just leave it alone and keep smiling. I wish I'd learned that lesson a long time ago, before I got caught up in HP wars and drag strips and all that.

I remain very happy with the Camaro and haven't seriously considered a 'Vette again. If I do anything with the Camaro it'll be gears for the harder acceleration from a roll for those on ramp bombing raids.

Site Supporter

Since you aren’t afraid of wrenching, (neither am I) I’ll share my plan of stuffing an LS7, (feel free to substitute a blown LS3) C6Z trans, and ZR1 diff in a C5Z on coilovers, carbon L5 flares with wheels/tires, and an updated leather interior. That’s what I’d do if I wasn’t busy with my SS project. In fact, I just sold my 03 Z to pay for a Tremec TKX trans kit.
    Last edited by TOTS; 08-20-2022 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Grammar can get hard

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TOTS View Post
    Since you aren’t afraid of wrenching, (neither am I) I’ll share my plan of stuffing an LS7, (feel free to substitute a blown LS3) C6Z trans, and ZR1 diff in a C5Z on coilovers, carbon L5 flares with wheels/tires, and an updated leather interior. That’s what I’d do if I wasn’t busy with my SS project. In fact, I just sold my 03 Z to pay for a Tremec TKX trans kit.
    From a straight drivers' car perspective, that's a hell of a plan It will look killer with the L5 widebody and filled up with some fat CCW's or Forgestars! I do have a real soft spot for C5 FRC's and Z's.

But I've worked on a ton of C5's, and my friends and customers that owned them often kept dealing with 'C5 problems' in regards to body/dash electronics, window regulators, power seat gears, etc. If I were starting from square one on a drift car I'd definitely look for a haggard 00-04 C5 6-spd, but for a street car I'd go C6 Z51 like DocGlock found or a C6 Z06.

Nonetheless, if you start digging into that C5 build you're describing, PLEASE post pics of it here!

User Tag List