Page 8 of 190 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108 ... LastLast

Thread: The Semi-Unofficial Pistol-Forum Car geek, gearhead, hot rodder, and vehicle thread

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by oakdalecurtis View Post
    Or the impound lot behind the cop shop.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Aluminum car body meets big dog...

A guy locked his Belgian Malinois in the garage with his $150,000 aluminum bodied Porsche...
    Ruh Rho....
    Name:  B2E30BB9-2E9A-4A70-BF27-2EC14F0D5BA5.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  52.2 KB

Site Supporter
    You can't just post a pic of a slug bug with a front engine SBC V8 under the hood and NOT talk about it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by oakdalecurtis View Post
    A guy locked his Belgian Malinois in the garage with his $150,000 aluminum bodied Porsche...
    Ruh Rho....
    Malligator - 1
    Stuttgart - 0

That hurts to look at, but it sets the stage nicely for a widebody...
    Last edited by JRB; 12-14-2019 at 01:08 AM.

Hammertime
    This is really astounding. 103mph average over 2800 miles.

A Mercedes is a good choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    This is really astounding. 103mph average over 2800 miles.
    That's a pretty good average.

My best ever was an average of 87 mph over ~2400 miles in my 'Speed3. We made a trip from Austin to Johnson City, TN, and then back, by way of Asheville, NC and eventually around down onto I10 - In Mississippi we jogged south on 55 to get from I20 to I10 and then blazed a trail back to Austin.

On that little section of I55 in Mississippi, I don't think I slowed down below 120. And on I10 across Pontchartrain, I never dropped below 100.

I could have done better, but we got stuck in a MASSIVE traffic jam on I40 east of Little Rock on Day 2 of the trip. Literally, I turned the car off and we just sat there for two hours. That was a bad driving day, all day we kept getting caught in slow downs as semis tried to make up time and crashed. We passed two jack-knife accidents, one before Nashville, one before Knoxville. In all, we ended up losing about 4 good driving hours that day.

Still, I've not been able to best that particular long-distance speed average. I can't even seem to break the 85mph barrier from Chicago to Dallas lately. That should be a fairly straight forward trip, but it really isn't. Those first 6'ish hours in Illinois (if you just go straight south I57) are just brutal, for reasons I can't quite explain. It's the combination of terrain (or lack thereof) and unpredictable weather. And then the 90-miles between west Memphis and Little Rock on I40 is hands down one of the worst stretches of road in the country (same one I got stuck on the trip above). It seems to never fail, that I'm lined up to burn through that section of pavement at night, in the rain. At least three times, I've driven through that area as a thunderstorm hits. That area floods like nothing else and twice I've driven through it with lightning strikes revealing rising waters around us, that adds a sense of urgency and white knuckle driving to the damn thing that makes it that much worse.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 12-16-2019 at 12:36 AM.

Asking for my invisible friend -

Drop the coinage for a rebuilt/crate K2xA2 or roll the dice on a pulled engine from the various suppliers out there?

If the former my invisible friend wants to know - who to supply the crate? KMod, 4Piston, others?

@JRB, and anyone else with knowledge.

It's conceivable that a Landcruiser could replace all three of my current four-wheeled vehicles. I like that idea, as I believe my quality of life would be improved if I only had one reliable, easy-to-work-on four-wheeled vehicle to keep maintained. A Landcruiser would do everything there is to do in my current situation and a lot of what there would be to do if I can put together the pieces of the situation I want to get to. Seems like 100 series are the 'cruisers that can actually be found. Might hit some dealers tomorrow.

Wikipedia includes the following notes:
    The 100-series is generally considered a durable and reliable vehicle, however there have been three known issues identified, generally for vehicles operating in harsh conditions:

The IFS 100-series gained a reputation for front suspension failures in operating conditions where the front suspension was prone to hitting the bump stops. Several companies produce strengthened lower wishbones to prevent cracks from developing.[33]
    Both the IFS 100 and Live-axle 105 models have been reported to be suffering from broken front differential centres when driven in harsh conditions.[34] The most common front differential failures in IFS models are reported in vehicles produced between mid-1997 and mid-1999 (i.e. the model years 1998 and 1999), when Toyota fitted the 100 Series IFS with a 2-pinion front differential (the pinion gear would flex away from the ring gear under shock loads). In 1999 (model year 2000) the IFS Landcruiser received a 4-pinion front differential that was more robust – fewer failures were reported.[35][36]
    So, basically, drive within the limits of the chassis and avoid '98-99 models, and you should be OK.

Any other vehicle-specific stuff I should know? Or is it like the old rule about Porsches: Buy the newest, best condition, lowest-mileage car you can find and whatever you have to pay up front will put you miles (thousand$) ahead in the end.

I've been buying and working on vehicles for close to 30 years now, so it's vehicle-specific details I'm looking for. Generalities of old stuff I have fairly well covered.

I'd totally be up for an 80 series with the big six if I found one, but that's not easy at this point. There still seem to be 100 series getting traded in by well-to-do familes that have used them gently to haul the kids and what not.
    Not another dime.

Hammertime
    Name:  A2362B68-1EF0-48A7-A1BA-B02846888122.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  54.8 KB

Kinda shocking how a new Civic. Just dwarfs an old Z3.

I'm old enough to remember when DC5 Integras were too big and heavy to be interesting.
    Not another dime.

User Tag List