Page 60 of 190 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270110160 ... LastLast

Thread: The Semi-Unofficial Pistol-Forum Car geek, gearhead, hot rodder, and vehicle thread

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Your Z3 is a real roadster. The Chevy Bolt is an iPad on wheels. Given it doesn't make financial sense to sell the Z3 now compared to what it could bring in a few years, what do you actually want? You've already had it for 20 years, what's another few for the sake of investment? Is there a way you can keep the Z3 and still buy the Bolt, or must you sell the Z3 to get a Bolt?
    Those are great thoughts.

I have had the Z3 6 years and it does really everything I want from a sports car. Extremely fun to drive, quick without being so stupid fast you can't enjoy it, and generally really competent and communicative without a lot of electronic distractions. And it really talks to you at the limit. I got it on a lark from a friend and have enjoyed it way more than I ever planned to.

The Bolt would be a nicer more all weather runabout. It's an appliance albeit one with 100% of its torque at 0RPM which is fun. Plus I am on solar and could recharge it daylight hours for essentially nothing.

I can keep the BMW, but the Bolt would then put me at 6 cars. Of course right now we are at five going on six drivers in the family and seven is three years away.... I don't like having a fleet, but that is sort of the family we have.

Giant Chevy Van for family trips/towing shit
    Beater Odyssey minivan (270k miles!!) shared amongst 2 teens and the student driver (and me when I want to cart a bike somewhere)
    Mazdasport 3 stick kinda beater for the Enthusiast 20yo who puts a decent amount of mileage on cars traveling to work and from college.
    Mom's newer Highlander because she deserves it.
    My BMW driven pretty hard during its 1500 miles a year. But mostly I ride a bike or walk to work.

As I think about it two of the teens will be in College in a couple months with no car. I don't need this Bolt, I just want it for the novelty and I know the non enthusiast drivers in the family would love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    As I think about it two of the teens will be in College in a couple months with no car.
    Does that mean you can trade in one of the other run-abouts for the Bolt, such as the Mazda3, van or minivan? Or does this mean the kids will be taking cars to college, which means you need to buy another anyways since they won't be in your driveway to share/use as needed?

Also, what's the possibility of the 20 y/o enthusiast wanting to buy the Z3 off you post-college once he/she has a job?

I'm giving you my perspective as a millennial: I was in high school when the Z3, E46 M3 and E39 M5 were in their prime, and my generation of enthusiasts lust after those cars in particular now that we're at an age that we have good jobs and can afford play toys that we idolize from our youth. Last month I bought the 2019 Cayman since I love the Cayman and have since they came out right at the end of my time in college; I'll probably never be without a Cayman for the rest of my life. However, if I lived on a standalone property with ample parking instead of in a townhouse (which we're looking at doing), I'd be choosing an additional fun car between an E46 M3, Z3, or some other crazy child-hood dream project....like dropping a Hellcat Redeye motor into a Plymouth Prowler, because 'murica.

Purely for financial reasons, I'd suggest reading more about the Z3s predicted market in the next 3-5 years and if it looks promising, consider holding on to it purely for that reason alone, even if it meant never using it, stuffing it in the back of a garage, and dropping insurance. Debt is very cheap right now, so even as a guy who's more Dave Ramsey-ish in my financial approach, I'd consider using a loan for the Bolt if need be.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Hammertime
    Does that mean you can trade in one of the other run-abouts for the Bolt, such as the Mazda3, van or minivan? Or does this mean the kids will be taking cars to college, which means you need to buy another anyways since they won't be in your driveway to share/use as needed?
    Nah, I am an enthusiast. And I enthusiastically endorse always owning a beater minivan. They are just awesome. Plus the kids love it. I am pretty sure the Bolt could do a lot of the minivan tasks, but the van is essentially worthless, holds bikes great and keeps running so...

Also, what's the possibility of the 20 y/o enthusiast wanting to buy the Z3 off you post-college once he/she has a job?
    He has floated the idea that he really wants a Z3 to trick out and track. Thinks they are kind of over looked in the S2000 90s-00s performance car appreciation trends. Apparently Zsare at that time like you said where there are starting to appreciate but not at S2000 type levels. But he wants a different car every day. Kinda like me. I think his ultimate car right now would be a Honda Civic Type R.

His job is interesting. He works at a Chevy dealership driving cars and parking them all day long. 50-100 different cars a day. Cars that stand out to him from a fun to drive perspective: Camaros. More than Vettes actually. Says the New Blazer is surprisingly good. And the Bolt. Got two texts from him this morning about how it is such a fun bubble to drive that started me down this road. The kid had a Mini and knows what a fun to drive car feels like.

I'm giving you my perspective as a millennial: I was in high school when the Z3, E46 M3 and E39 M5 were in their prime, and my generation of enthusiasts lust after those cars in particular now that we're at an age that we have good jobs and can afford play toys that we idolize from our youth. Last month I bought the 2019 Cayman since I love the Cayman and have since they came out right at the end of my time in college; I'll probably never be without a Cayman for the rest of my life. However, if I lived on a standalone property with ample parking instead of in a townhouse (which we're looking at doing), I'd be choosing an additional fun car between an E46 M3, Z3, or some other crazy child-hood dream project....like dropping a Hellcat Redeye motor into a Plymouth Prowler, because 'murica.
    That is a really good perspective. Sounds like me lusting for an E36M3 while driving an 88 5.0. Now, I lust for a Cayman: congrats again on that. I think one will be my getting kids through college present to myself in 8 years.

Purely for financial reasons, I'd suggest reading more about the Z3s predicted market in the next 3-5 years and if it looks promising, consider holding on to it purely for that reason alone, even if it meant never using it, stuffing it in the back of a garage, and dropping insurance. Debt is very cheap right now, so even as a guy who's more Dave Ramsey-ish in my financial approach, I'd consider using a loan for the Bolt if need be.
    Financially I can handle it but don't really want to while handling three in college!! Damn this parenting thing has gotten expensive.

I am only into the Z3 ~$10,000 total after purchase, Bilsteins, cooling system, bushings and Pilot S4s. Basically the roof leaks, all the speakers are blown and radio does not work but...interior is intact and mechanically it is super sound so for top down driving it is the bomb.

One option I had not considered is putting the wife in the Bolt and ditching the Highlander and possibly more than we bought it for...hmmm. She is decidedly non enthusiast and would probably love the simplicity of the Bolt. But she kinda likes bigger cars and I want at least one newish car with more range for weekends away for us.

That's funny that your wife likes bigger cars, @Doc_Glock. Both my wife and I enjoy smaller cars. It took a lot of adjusting for her, going from her 2009 Outback to a 2019 Outback, because the latter is huge compared to the older ones when they were more of a wagon than SUV. Like most cars, they've grown exponentially throughout the years.

Ditching the Highlander would certainly be a financial bonus, as long as she likes the Bolt.

I've always thought a fun run-about would be a first gen manual Mini. Mini Coopers are like Porsche Caymans and 911s in one regard: they're not just fun, but their styling is sort of timeless. A first gen BMW Mini still looks cool, as long as the paint has been maintained and the headlights aren't UV bleached. I think it'd be fun to have one for shitty winter days when I don't want to drive the Cayman, though that use-case also competes with another vehicle that a lot of people never expected to become valuable until my generation grew up and holds near and dear to our hearts:

The XJ chassis Cherokee.

The latter would be more useable as a poor weather run-about than the Mini, and if I kept it well maintained could be used as a tow vehicle for track days, or when I eventually repatriate my sister's 1973 VW Thing. She's planning on retiring to Belize in 10 years, so we've already worked out that I'll likely be buying it from her. So, the way my mind works, that's justification to get out of our town-house and get a stand alone property with room for vehicles, including an XJ Cherokee........right?

"Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Hammertime
    I've always thought a fun run-about would be a first gen manual Mini. Mini Coopers are like Porsche Caymans and 911s in one regard: they're not just fun, but their styling is sort of timeless. A first gen BMW Mini still looks cool, as long as the paint has been maintained and the headlights aren't UV bleached. I think it'd be fun to have one for shitty winter days when I don't want to drive the Cayman, though that use-case also competes with another vehicle that a lot of people never expected to become valuable until my generation grew up and holds near and dear to our hearts:

The XJ chassis Cherokee.
    This is hilarious because my son is constantly on the look out for XJs on Craigslist. All his friends have them. He's the only one with an actual, ya know, car. And they are all constantly rescuing each other from various mechanical misadventures. Good think they are super easy to fix because they break constantly.

Name:  244EEB67-D3C6-4254-84E2-16E573616DB9.jpeg
Views: 181
Size:  96.7 KB
    Name:  CC71EA21-CF90-413E-96B2-FEA1492802D3.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  34.9 KB

We had a second Gen Mini and it was amazing, amazing to drive. I never thought I could love a front driver. It was also the worst piece of shit mechanically car. Constant repair and they were super inconvenient and just really hard due to space constraints. Sent it down the road for the less fun but much more reliable, more spacious MS3.

Personally if I were that age I wouldn't mess with the turbos etc, and just find a solid Mustang or Camaro.

And while I have driven a fair share of Miatas and like their light weight, I generally like the suspension, steering and really like the torque of the Z3 over the leetle Miata.
    Last edited by Doc_Glock; 07-22-2021 at 05:09 PM.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    He has floated the idea that he really wants a Z3 to trick out and track. Thinks they are kind of over looked in the S2000 90s-00s performance car appreciation trends. Apparently Zs are at that time like you said where there are starting to appreciate but not at S2000 type levels. But he wants a different car every day. Kinda like me. I think his ultimate car right now would be a Honda Civic Type R.
    Miata
    . Is
    . . Always
    . . . The
    . . . . Answer

Seriously. I had a '99 for eight years. Flogged it on the track. Beat older Porsches who couldn't believe the Miata with a totally stock engine was faster. Flogged it in the mountains. Flogged it in the canyons. I couldn't hurt it. Tires and brakes were cheap. Maintenance was nil. Nothing ever broke, except the clutch slave, which cost $10 to replace. And I needed to replace the rain rail because the DPO (Dreaded Previous Owner) had used a crappy aftermarket one. Got an OE one, worth every penny. The car is still going strong with its new owner. If I totally lost my shit and moved back to CA, I'd be looking for another one real quick. I only sold it because there are no roads suitable for flogging it within three + hours of here.

If I was going to get a BMW roadster, I'd get a Z4. Probably a coupe, but that's just me. Dramatically better suspension than the Z3. Looks better. Better engines. Not as old.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    I can't imagine selling a 3.0L Z3 or Z4 right now, as TGS said, they're likely to jump in value soon.
    An S54 powered Z4M coupe I drove stands out to this day as the single best BMW I've ever personally driven, it was so damn good that I honestly understood dealing with BMW maintenance for it.

So keep the Z3 and enjoy it. There's no rush for the Bolt really unless you can swap it out for the Highlander and make money on the Highlander.

XJ's are the gateway drug for crazy 4wd stuff. I've always enjoyed them and while prices are up on those too, they're still a ton of fun for the money.
    But I'd recommend something bigger if you're looking to tow a race car on the interstate.

Somewhat related, my wife wants a YJ Wrangler Sahara so we can build a Jurassic Park clone. She's a geologist and loves dinosaurs, so I'm down. Sadly a 92-95 YJ Sahara that's mostly stock and in good shape is a rare beast these days.

I also recently built an all-inclusive spreadsheet for my car projects, inventorying every car, engine, transmission, set of wheels, etc that I have on hand. Somehow, I never really took it all in and saw the scope of it in one document before.
    'Financially irresponsible' doesn't even begin to cover it. At least it's a seller's market right now for most of this stuff!

Bolts are hot items right now: ;-)

https://www.npr.org/2021/07/23/10198...ires-gm-second
    ——————
    DETROIT (AP) — General Motors is recalling some older Chevrolet Bolts for a second time to fix persistent battery problems that can set the electric cars ablaze.

Until repairs are done, GM says owners should park the cars outdoors, limit charging to 90% of battery capacity, and not deplete batteries below 70 miles of range. The company says the Bolts should not be charged overnight, and should be parked outside immediately after they are charged.
    ———————
    To be fair:

Some 2019 Bolts and those from the 2020 and 2021 model years are not affected. Their batteries were made by LG in Holland, Michigan.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    I also recently built an all-inclusive spreadsheet for my car projects, inventorying every car, engine, transmission, set of wheels, etc that I have on hand. Somehow, I never really took it all in and saw the scope of it in one document before.
    'Financially irresponsible' doesn't even begin to cover it. At least it's a seller's market right now for most of this stuff!
    Wanna really scare yourself, do that with your guns and ammo.

I finally packed up an ancient set of SSR Type Cs yesterday so they're ready to ship, which means ready to list on fleabay this weekend.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Wanna really scare yourself, do that with your guns and ammo.

I finally packed up an ancient set of SSR Type Cs yesterday so they're ready to ship, which means ready to list on fleabay this weekend.
    I've spent a lot of money on guns and ammo, but nothing like I have with cars.

What are the specs on the SSR's? And are they proper Type-C's not the later cast Type C RS's?

User Tag List