Page 23 of 188 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Semi-Unofficial Pistol-Forum Car geek, gearhead, hot rodder, and vehicle thread

Gyro,

Good Times!

I like to tell new folks at the track, “The first hit of Crack is free!” So easy to get hooked, just look at me. Like a junkie jonesing for a new car. The addiction never goes away.
    Last edited by Trigger; 01-17-2020 at 11:43 PM.
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    The problem is, they're all out of ideas.
    The problem isn't that they are out of ideas. The problem is that we aren't the actual car buyers they need to stay afloat.

Buyers want stupid things compared to enthusiasts.

Me? I want three pedals, a gearbox with a snick-snick action to it, an engine that makes power from 0 to infinity RPMs, and it should weigh no more than 2500 pounds, make about 1000 horsepower, be completely user serviceable on the backside, and use no unnecessary electronics to make things happen. And while I'm wishing for things that will never happen, it should be free if you have a competition license.

My mother on the other hand had the following demands, "Back up Camera, Apple Car Play, Heated Front Seats."

I'm just not the target market for automakers. I've learned to accept it. It's likely that I won't buy a new car ever again, because I have no interest in anything really being built today. I'm much more likely to just continue building restomod-type cars.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 01-18-2020 at 12:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Speaking of kits, if I won the lottery, I’d buy one of these:

http://www.beck904.com/sales/

Rolling chassis is about $60k I gather. What’s the typical engine/gearbox cost for a suitable donor? I just think the 904 is one of the most beautiful cars ever designed.

Pic off the web:

Attachment 47138
    I'll be in my bunk...
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    The problem isn't that they are out of ideas. The problem is that we aren't the actual car buyers they need to stay afloat.

Buyers want stupid things compared to enthusiasts.
    Substitute "firearm buyers" for "car buyers" and you just described P-F as well.

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

@JRB I was able to find a few of the mid-90s pics that I'd forgotten I'd already scanned.

These were from 1996, the course was set up in part of downtown Dallas near (or around, I don't remember which) Reunion tower. I remember the camera was a Canon 35mm but that's it.
    Name:  dallas1.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  43.1 KB
    Name:  dallas2.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  48.8 KB
    Name:  dallas4.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  30.3 KB
    Name:  dallas9.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  44.3 KB

These were probably from 1996 as well, earlier than the Dallas race. AFAIK that was the last year they ran at Texas World Speedway and the only year they ran in Dallas (at least since the USGP in the early-80s).
    Name:  tws7.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  24.9 KB
    Name:  tws9.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  33.2 KB
    Name:  tws11.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  28.5 KB
    Name:  tws12.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  34.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Triggerf16 View Post

I’m afraid I might not be using a clutch pedal soon.
    Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. ..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. ..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The 2011 M3 sedan I'm driving now is a decent example of an analog car. No Nav, no iDrive, no sunroof, cloth and leather seats, 6-speed manual, Competition package with the adjustable suspension. Simple V-8 sedan. Analog dash displays, needle gauges and one small amber monochrome trip computer display with 5 functions. No bluetooth. Just drive.

The 2020 M4CS I'm looking at is the exact opposite, it is a digital (electric jet) cockpit. HUD with multiple displays, the dash display is much more complex, but not a full-color LED display like some of the 5/7/8 series cars. It still has tach and speed needles. It has iDrive/Nav/Apple CarPlay. Pages of menus in the iDrive to set and adjust every function of the car. LED headlights that actively steer, and dim the high beams with oncoming traffic. The euro-version will even steer the high beam away from the oncoming car at night, but keep the high beams on. Not approved yet in the US by the DOT. OLED tail lights, not sure why those are needed, but they sure are unique. Bluetooth, real time traffic, SOS, and there is even a fluffer function buried in the menus ( I jest). The Transmission, suspension, throttle and steering all have three levels of comfort/sport/sport+ settings. Plus shortcut buttons on the steering wheel to activate your desired profiles.

We spent 10 minutes where the salesman explained all the electronic functionality to me. Just getting the transmission out of Park and back into Park is non-intuitive. Those pesky german engineers. On the road it took me a while to understand how to transition the transmission from auto to semi-auto and back while driving. Paddle shifting versus the stick. Supposedly the engines are under-rated for power from the factory. Dinan tested the cars on the dyno, and found greater than the rated 425/444/454 bhp. The M4CS handles very well, with ample power to throttle-steer the car anywhere you want. The tires and brakes were excellent, although the temperature was a sunny 41 degrees when I drove it, so the Michelin Super Sports were cold and lacked some grip.

It is certainly strong contrast between an analog car and a digital one. I'm going to try the digital sports car for a while. I would not be surprised if I like it, but I would also not be surprised if I go back to and analog car (used) in a few years.
    Last edited by Trigger; 01-18-2020 at 05:28 PM.
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Several years ago, after loving the E36 and then the E46 even more, I had to accept the fact that BMW no longer builds cars for people like me.

At least H&K still builds USPs. And the USPs I have that were built in the '90s have held up to the decades better than most BMWs built in the '90s.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 01-18-2020 at 05:51 PM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Triggerf16 View Post
    The 2011 M3 sedan...
    We can hang out.

I still miss this car. Tail 'o The Dragon. Much fun.

Attachment 47424
    Last edited by RJ; 01-18-2020 at 05:57 PM.

Site Supporter
    Sounds like the BMW's you all are wanting is called a Mustang GT350.
    With liberty and justice for all...must be 18, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply, not available in all states.

User Tag List