Page 183 of 190 FirstFirst ... 83133173181182183184185 ... LastLast
Results 1,821 to 1,830 of 1900

Thread: The Semi-Unofficial Pistol-Forum Car geek, gearhead, hot rodder, and vehicle thread

and people wonder why I have a parts car. it specifically so I can scavenge it for either the correct part, or for something that I can 'rig and make work, when the alternative is stupid expensive.
    also, is that hose plastic? i ask because, I cracked fittings on 2 vehicles, and used this really fancy model train glue from germany that a buddy gave me, and used it to fill in and build up the crack. it also saturates fabric tape and turns it into like a cast.

Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Sign spotted at one of those quick oil change places:

He without oil will throw the first rod
    - Lubrication 3:26

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    Attachment 115693

How much do you think Toyota wants for this tiny U-shaped evap hose? $5? $15? $50???

Try $462 (actual MSRP is $347, but my local dealer lives up to the stealership denigration). The hose is of course not available separately - you must buy an entire charcoal canister assembly! The bend is too sharp for bulk hose, but thankfully the local NAPA warehouse let me look through their preformed evap hoses until I found one I can trim & make work.

Why not replace it with a good piece of hose and some good clamps?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Crawls View Post
    That's what he did.

The reason why the whole thing is sold, and not just the hose, is it's assumed that if there's a problem on the canister, replace the whole thing and don't risk that you mis-diagnosed which part is bad. There's hoses, solenoids, vents, and filters inside of that little thing.

Same reason why automatic transmissions get rebuilt, not just having the bands swapped.

The bend is too sharp for bulk hose - it would just kink. I could have run excess hose down the fender and done a gradual uturn out of sight before coming back, but I wanted an OEM fitment. That's where the new hose came in - I forget what it was made for (probably some car's egr), but it had that tight 180 uturn as well as a bunch of other hose I just cut off and discarded.

I'm also in California where unbribed smog inspectors often fail you if they notice you not using OEM looking hoses, regardless of how inconsequential it is. I had a buddy who installed a blue silicone vacuum set on his Civic appeal to the BAR after failing visual inspection and he was told he could only use black silicone hoses

For those that have a 96-04 Tacoma/4runner/T100/Tundra with a 3.4 and ever run into this, the substitution hose is the PCV hose from a 88-95 3.0 4runner/T100/pickup:

trim off the excess and it fits perfectly on the canister. (note the new denso vent valve which I lazily threw into the parts cannon, but it was not the problem):
    Name:  PXL_20240304_185727614~2.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  44.9 KB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    That's what he did.

The reason why the whole thing is sold, and not just the hose, is it's assumed that if there's a problem on the canister, replace the whole thing and don't risk that you mis-diagnosed which part is bad. There's hoses, solenoids, vents, and filters inside of that little thing.

Same reason why automatic transmissions get rebuilt, not just having the bands swapped.
    My bad. I did not read through the whole post.

I miss the Toyota of old when you could buy almost anything as an individual part. I could order any individual part for my old 80 Series and was on a good first name basis with two excellent Toyota parts guys at American Toyota in ABQ. Recently though, I tried to buy a relatively affordable part for my wife's 4-Runner and after several days of search had to breakdown and buy buy the the whole assembly for around $1700 IRRC.

Back on topic regarding the hose - McMaster-Carr has pre-bent heater hose in various sizes. It may not be the exact size your looking for, but it has come in handy on several occasions.

Site Supporter
    Back on topic regarding the hose - McMaster-Carr has pre-bent heater hose in various sizes. It may not be the exact size your looking for, but it has come in handy on several occasions.
    They solved it using EVAP/PCV hose, which is designed to deal with similar gas compositions. Heater hose would be the wrong choice long term, given it wasn't designed to deal with gasoline vapors.

User Tag List