Page 28 of 190 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878128 ... LastLast

Thread: The Semi-Unofficial Pistol-Forum Car geek, gearhead, hot rodder, and vehicle thread

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    It's what happens when a guy who isn't a car guy and doesn't know how to do stuff gets taken hold of by an idea.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Since my round trip to the office is about 80 miles every day, I needed to get a new daily driver. I picked up this 2011 BMW 335d. Just went through it, did all recommended maintenance (car has 110,000 miles on it) and ahem "tuned it". Right now its putting out about 350 hp and 484 pounds of tq. Also had a custom map done for the transmission. All of that and I am getting 42 mpg per city. Gotta love a diesel, it's a total sleeper.

Name:  76D832FA-A570-4BED-A26E-43D617BB0B20.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  55.8 KB
    www.hero911.org
    Hero911 when seconds save lives.

Cornering be damned, I'll be in my bunk.

Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusader8207 View Post
    Since my round trip to the office is about 80 miles every day, I needed to get a new daily driver. I picked up this 2011 BMW 335d. Just went through it, did all recommended maintenance (car has 110,000 miles on it) and ahem "tuned it". Right now its putting out about 350 hp and 484 pounds of tq. Also had a custom map done for the transmission. All of that and I am getting 42 mpg per city. Gotta love a diesel, it's a total sleeper.
    I had such high hopes for those when they were first released, and it's a shame that the early problems with the urea systems caused so many problems early on. A friend of mine bought one new and the BMW dealership ended up buying it back under the lemon law.

That's awesome that a few are still in the wild, and properly sorted out like that. 42mpg city with 484ft-lbs could make me put up with some BMW maintenance, that's for sure!

Keep us posted on how it does!

Yes it seems that the urea system was the Achilles heel of the car. From doing a little research, there were only 10,000 imported between 2009 and 2011. Lots of people dumped them because the maintenance costs were high. The Carbon Build Up removal could cost upwards of $1200 and recommended every 50,000 miles. When I got the car, I did the CBU removal myself and removed a ton of it. I also did the "ABC" delete so it will stay clean from this point forward. There is a pretty good cult following for the car and a group of enthusiasts who have done some amazing things with them. A friend in OKC is getting over 700 ft pounds of tq out of his and he is trying to get it to 1000 with mostly stock components. His car is a beast.

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    I had such high hopes for those when they were first released, and it's a shame that the early problems with the urea systems caused so many problems early on. A friend of mine bought one new and the BMW dealership ended up buying it back under the lemon law.

That's awesome that a few are still in the wild, and properly sorted out like that. 42mpg city with 484ft-lbs could make me put up with some BMW maintenance, that's for sure!

Keep us posted on how it does!
    www.hero911.org

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusader8207 View Post
    Yes it seems that the urea system was the Achilles heel of the car. From doing a little research, there were only 10,000 imported between 2009 and 2011. Lots of people dumped them because the maintenance costs were high. The Carbon Build Up removal could cost upwards of $1200 and recommended every 50,000 miles. When I got the car, I did the CBU removal myself and removed a ton of it. I also did the "ABC" delete so it will stay clean from this point forward. There is a pretty good cult following for the car and a group of enthusiasts who have done some amazing things with them. A friend in OKC is getting over 700 ft pounds of tq out of his and he is trying to get it to 1000 with mostly stock components. His car is a beast.
    How does the rest of the drivetrain hold up to that kind of torque?

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    It still makes me want to put a turbo Japanese 4 in an E46 and rock on.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

From what I have read they are pretty bulletproof within reason. There is a recommendation of an upgraded tq converter for the really high tq cars but for the most part stock is pretty good. My friend in OKC is a BMW mechanic and has owned his 335d since 2013 and his drivetrain is stock. He runs it pretty hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    How does the rest of the drivetrain hold up to that kind of torque?
    www.hero911.org

That would be badass for sure

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    It still makes me want to put a turbo Japanese 4 in an E46 and rock on.
    www.hero911.org

User Tag List