Thread: Smith Model 15 2''

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by deputyG23 View Post
    Attachment 45843

Does a ‘49 M&P count?
    Great action, but teeny sights suck.
    I’ll be in my bunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Pasanova View Post
    Now my dilemma. I bought one off of Gunbroker and went to my local gun shop to run the paperwork today. The M15-4 appears to have never been fired. Only 3 chambers appeared to have been fired, which consistent with the factory test firing. The finish looks great probably 99 percent or better. Shoot it?

I will take it off your hands... I would shoot it.

Site Supporter
    Now my dilemma. I bought one off of Gunbroker and went to my local gun shop to run the paperwork today. The M15-4 appears to have never been fired. Only 3 chambers appeared to have been fired, which consistent with the factory test firing. The finish looks great probably 99 percent or better. Shoot it?
    Oh, hell yes. My nickel 4" M57 no-dash went from unfired to fired the afternoon I bought it. IMO, buying a gun and not shooting it makes no sense...unless it's a rare example that you could turn a big profit on and use the proceeds to buy guns to shoot.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    If it came with all of the stuff important to collectors (the box, docs and tools), then you might want to hold off until you can find out if there is any collector's interest.

If not, hell, yes.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    If it came with all of the stuff important to collectors (the box, docs and tools), then you might want to hold off until you can find out if there is any collector's interest.

If not, hell, yes.
    This is wise advice.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Or sell the box, tools, papers and grips to a collector to defray the cost of the gun and reduce its collectibility so you’ll not feel guilty shooting it. I’ve done that several times with old ‘Smiths.

An unfired specimen. Truly a delight. You have an essentially new revolver to do with as you will. Will the value increase if it remains unfired...yes. However, an unfired Smith is only a hypothetical delight. For me...I’m a caretaker. I take good care of my revolvers, but I enjoy them. One day they will pass on to my sons, having been cared for and ready to go to the range or defend what’s important.

Shoot and enjoy that thing! Sure, one day a collector will pay a bunch to have an unfired example but does that really matter? I’ve got a snubbie 15-3 that thinks it’s a PPC gun. I bought it unfired. My boys will inherit it knowing it was one of dad’s favorites.

I’ve got a bunch of collectible guns that I enjoy. I could carry or shoot non-collectible Tupperware all day long, but where is the joy in that?

Tempus fugit, memento mori. Time flies, remember death. Sure, we could all shoot the latest and greatest from Sig, Glock, HK etc. — if a .38 snub speaks to you, enjoy it. Who are you saving it for? A stranger who will lock it up in a safe??

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    You guys are gonna force me to go buy one, and I’ve got too damn many already!
    Does not compute...
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    You guys are gonna force me to go buy one, and I’ve got too damn many already!
    “Too damn many” of what?
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

My uncle called and as always we talked guns and such. He's looking to sell some old S&Ws, and I told him I've wanted a 2" M15...bad. His response, "Oh, I've got one with the box. It looks brand new." I might soon be in the "shoot it or not" dilemma.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

User Tag List