Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why did I have to shoot that gun?

Why did I have to shoot that gun?

So, I was at the range, blasting away with my FNP-9, and PPS... and the guy next to me breaks out a Wilson Combat 1911, and his hand loads for it.

While I was getting pretty happy with my groups at 15 yards (they limit what you can do there), the guy offered to let me try his Wilson Combat. Well, 4 of my 5 shots were touching. Three were within an inch of that group, and one I pulled badly. I had to walk away before I tried another magazine and sold everything I own to buy one.

I never had a foreign gun to me feel and shoot so well.

Why did I have to shoot that gun??

Anyone have similar range experiences?

very similar experience, mine was with a Les Baer Premier II and hand loads. still couldnt convince me to spend $1500+ on the gun. more so confirmed i should really start loading my own ammo...

Yes, of course, and I think this is probably the most common way of people getting into 1911s. Outdated or not, they are easy to shoot well. I personally got into 1911s when I outshot my P7M8 with a rental Kimber. About a year ago I rented a 9 mm Springfield EMP and had 9 out of 10 rounds touch, at 25 feet and without much stringing.
    To resist the temptation, you need to look at global aspects of owning and running a 1911, well beyond slow accuracy results which is only one side of a coin.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Yes...the first time I shot a 1911. That began a long and expensive journey to the mountain of the 1911.

After a while I descended from the mountain of the 1911 and started using plastic guns because, in my opinion anyway, it's just not worth the climb.

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    Yes...the first time I shot a 1911. That began a long and expensive journey to the mountain of the 1911.

After a while I descended from the mountain of the 1911 and started using plastic guns because, in my opinion anyway, it's just not worth the climb.
    thats what i had been warned about and the reason i'm shooting plastic guns.

I felt the same way when I first fired a Glock 17, many moons ago.

Happened to me recently with a Gen4 G19. Liked it to the point that I'm considering switching from my USPc to a G19 for EDC.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by turbolag23 View Post
    thats what i had been warned about and the reason i'm shooting plastic guns.
    It's only a worry if you allow yourself to be lured by the call of the mountain into spending ridiculous amounts of money and allowing yourself to become dependent on that 4 pound trigger.

If you avoid those pitfalls and you have sufficient disposable financial resources, buying a couple of really good 1911's is far from the worst indulgence in the world.

Just don't let the folks in monastery at the top of the mountain convince you that the lavishly made pistol, fire-quenched in a calm clear pool filled with the tears of fallen enemies and conquered peoples, is somehow capable of doing something that the pistols you can almost buy in one of those vending machines that spits out potato chips and Nutter Butters can't do.

In other words, if you have the money and time, climb the mountain and get yourself one if that's what you really want....just don't return from the journey with a shaved head daring people to snatch the pebble from your hand. Sooner or later someone will do it and you'll realize that you bought a pistol and not Excalibur. That can be a painful realization for those who worshiped at the monastery of the 1911.
    Last edited by TCinVA; 03-14-2011 at 02:56 PM.

One time this guy let me put a magazine through his HiPoint 45. WOW - That made an impression.

I've made this mistake before shooting someone's gold cup. I just thought of all the training, ammo and gear I can get with difference in cash. Would be interesting if he would of shot with your setup. Did you notice if you out shoot him with his own pistol?

User Tag List