Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Model 60 gunsmith/mods?

Bobbed hammer and UM grips.

Ted Yost replied (I was impressed with the quickness and the personal response) and confirmed it’s too small of a project for him right now

"Bobbing the hammer is almost a practical necessity if you only have one snubby,"

Why is that?

Agreed!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Congrats on your new J frame, she's a beaut. If it was my gun, I would leave as-is, except for some paint on the sights. I prefer to keep the older S&W's pretty close to factory. I'd get a more recent version if I wanted to mod it.

But hey, it's your gun, so obviously ymmv.
    My first model 60 looked just like this. Boy this pic brings back memories. Personally I would leave it as is. Maybe it's just emotion, but for me this is the quintessential J-frame.

Quote Originally Posted by JimCunn View Post
    "Bobbing the hammer is almost a practical necessity if you only have one snubby,"

Why is that?
    If you have one snub, odds are you will utilize it for its highest and best purposes: pant/coat pocket carry or other deep concealment carry (ankle, smartcarry, etc.).

Hammers spurs are essentially hooks that cause issues in those situations. Yes, you can thumb-over the hammer on the draw, but (a) some pockets might not allow that and (b) some people like a full grip on the draw.
    Well, you may be a man. You may be a leprechaun. Only one thing’s for sure… you’re in the wrong basement.

"Hammers spurs are essentially hooks that cause issues in those situations. Yes, you can thumb-over the hammer on the draw,"

In order, not necessarily, and yes, I do.
    I have three Airweight 637-2 J-frames modified with titanium cylinders to further reduce weight.

I learned to shoot on SA revolvers, so grew up using the hammer cocking to rotate the pistol forward as it cleared the holster. Consequently, I used the same technique drawing a DA when I started carrying snubbies maybe 50 years ago. In short, it is cocked when it comes level and the trigger operates in SA mode. Therefore, the thumb does protect the hammer during the draw. The other advantage is that it is faster and more accurate on first shot than drawing and firing DA. In 70 years of shooting, I've never snagged the hammer (needless to say, that doesn't imply that I won't snag it on my very next draw :-)
    Last edited by JimCunn; 12-12-2019 at 04:38 PM.

User Tag List