Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: New AR - use brass or steel case ammo?

Site Supporter
    I'm not as knowledgeable as others here, but I habitually order the same bullet weight for practice ammo as for defensive ammo so I don't have to mess with adjusting sights. Also, the LC stuff above is 5.56, while the Wolf is .223. The 5.56 is loaded to higher pressure than .223. If shooting the same bullet weight there isn't much difference in POI at shorter ranges, haven't really worked with my AR at longer ranges so I don't know whether there's a difference.

Wolf branded steel case .223 that is MADE by Barnaul is good stuff. Avoid Tula at all costs.

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    Thanks @blues

I’m debating between these two options.
    Attachment 45668
    The 62 gr stuff made in Lake City is about $16 more, but if I’m leaning towards a 62 gr round for “real world” applications, maybe $16 isn’t too much to pay for a likely similar POI.

Thoughts?

Anyone with experience with the stuff made for SGAmmo at Lake City?
    SS109 is M855 green tip- it has a steel penetrator core. This can be an issue for some ranges and steel targets.
    Last edited by DpdG; 12-07-2019 at 09:46 PM.
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

@GyroF-16, Bonefroggunclub is a great place to pickup the 62gr TBBC FBI load HCM mentioned. Almost always in stock for reasonable prices, they also have Speer Gold Dot in 62gr, 75gr flavors as well as Federal Tactical Bonded in 55 and 62gr flavor. PM me if you want to compare pricing and I can login and share that with you. They will offer you a LE/MIL discount. I have no affiliation with them but have bought lots of ammo from them. Unless you can get the bonded stuff from your dept for free or at a local LE store these guys are a good bet. Ammo seek is a great resource as well just to locate stuff.

Site Supporter
    Thanks - that was also linked by Dan_S in Post #12

Is this stuff still being imported? I always thought it was good stuff. Accurate and reliable in the couple different rifles I used it in.

https://www.sgammo.com/product/223-5...o-made-vympe-0

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Is this stuff still being imported? I always thought it was good stuff. Accurate and reliable in the couple different rifles I used it in.

https://www.sgammo.com/product/223-5...o-made-vympe-0

That does look interesting...

My big takeaway from the LuckyGunner report was that I’d prefer to stay away from bi-metal bullet jackets in the interest of potentially doubling the useful life of my barrel.

At any rate, I got over 1000 rds of brass-cased stuff at last week’s Wal-Mart sellout for $0.15/rd, so the problem of choosing between cheap steel and more-expensive brass cases is deferred for the immediate future.

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    That does look interesting...

My big takeaway from the LuckyGunner report was that I’d prefer to stay away from bi-metal bullet jackets in the interest of potentially doubling the useful life of my barrel.

At any rate, I got over 1000 rds of brass-cased stuff at last week’s Wal-Mart sellout for $0.15/rd, so the problem of choosing between cheap steel and more-expensive brass cases is deferred for the immediate future.
    Someone on another forum (arfcom maybe I don't remember now) floated the theory that the powder used in the inexpensive Russian ammo was as much to blame for barrel wear as anything.

User Tag List