Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New AR - use brass or steel case ammo?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Though to be honest, nowadays my home defense mags are loaded with 62gr TBBC.
    Really? May I ask why? My impression was that a heavy, soft point bullet would be preferable, especially for relatively close range (less than 100 yd, probably much less).

I feel like I’ve got a decent handle on what I like for handgun ammo as far as desirable terminal effects, but I’m still trying to learn for 5.56.

So your input is welcome.

As it is for others with knowledge in this area.

I’ve reviewed @DocGKR ‘s writeup on 5.56 duty ammo. But a good deal of it is Greek to me at this point. And, I’m not sure how much “barrier blindness” I need (or want).

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post

<snip>

I’ve reviewed DocGKR ‘s writeup on 5.56 duty ammo. But a good deal of it is Greek to me at this point. And, I’m not sure how much “barrier blindness” I need (or want).

<snip>
    Doc talks about why you should use barrier blind ammo in a home defense AR here:

P&S ModCast 125 - Terminal Ballistics

It's been a while since I watched it, but IIRC there were different incidents where the bad guys were using a wooden frame couch for cover and the corner of a wall with 2x4s and non barrier blind bullets had issues reaching them.

Don't know if his recommendation has changed since then.
    Last edited by SiriusBlunder; 12-07-2019 at 01:03 PM.

Really? May I ask why? My impression was that a heavy, soft point bullet would be preferable, especially for relatively close range (less than 100 yd, probably much less).

I feel like I’ve got a decent handle on what I like for handgun ammo as far as desirable terminal effects, but I’m still trying to learn for 5.56.

So your input is welcome.

As it is for others with knowledge in this area.

I’ve reviewed @DocGKR ‘s writeup on 5.56 duty ammo. But a good deal of it is Greek to me at this point. And, I’m not sure how much “barrier blindness” I need (or want).
    The 62gr TBBC is a bonded JSP like you're wanting. It's a great carbine duty round (the best, maybe) for inside 100 yards.

I wouldn't hesitate to carry 75gr TAP, but it relies on fragmentation to wound and isn't as good through barriers.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    The 62gr TBBC is a bonded JSP like you're wanting. It's a great carbine duty round (the best, maybe) for inside 100 yards.

I wouldn't hesitate to carry 75gr TAP, but it relies on fragmentation to wound and isn't as good through barriers.
    Thanks - that’s exactly the kind if information I’m looking for.

Site Supporter

If you are having issues sourcing “tactical” ammo like the 62 grain TBBC FBI duty load the federal “Fusion MSR” 62 grain SP load is also a bonded / barrier blind suitable for home defense.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan_S View Post
    TLDR version - the issue with cheap Russian Ammo isn’t the steel cases.

The bimetal bullets, which are ok at pistol velocity cause increased wear.

Hence the Hornady steel case stuff, with copper jacketed bullets is ok.

My take:

If you are a high volume shooter and have to buy all your own ammo a “sacrificial” cheap upper with a carbine length gas system could be worthwhile.

If you are mostly a pistol shooter sucking it up and buying brass case ammo is is cheaper.

PS- Wolf gold (Taiwanese M193 - not Russian) is actually good ammo.
    Last edited by HCM; 12-07-2019 at 04:24 PM.

"Respectfully, re: the hardness of brass vs steel, a quick Google search says otherwise

https://www.tedpella.com/company_html/hardness.htm

On Mohs scale (where larger values are harder):"

With apologies for the metallurgy geekout, a couple of thoughts:

1)Moh's scale is not one of the usual hardness scales used in metallurgy.
    2)Talking about the properties of 'brass' or 'steel' is fairly imprecise. What alloy, in what condition?
    3)The softest steels (e.g. 1010), in their softest (annealed) state, can indeed be softer than the hardest (sufficiently cold worked) cartridge brasses, measured with the Rockwell B scale or whatever. So you'd need to know the alloys and heat treat/cold work status of both, or measure their hardness directly, to know which is harder.
    4)I wouldn't assume that their relative hardness definitively predicts their wear on a chamber; metal on metal wear is a black art.

To be clear, I have no knowledge or opinion on the relative merits of steel or brass cased ammo; just speaking to the metallurgy.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by whomever View Post
    "Respectfully, re: the hardness of brass vs steel, a quick Google search says otherwise

https://www.tedpella.com/company_html/hardness.htm

On Mohs scale (where larger values are harder):"

With apologies for the metallurgy geekout, a couple of thoughts:

1)Moh's scale is not one of the usual hardness scales used in metallurgy.
    2)Talking about the properties of 'brass' or 'steel' is fairly imprecise. What alloy, in what condition?
    3)The softest steels (e.g. 1010), in their softest (annealed) state, can indeed be softer than the hardest (sufficiently cold worked) cartridge brasses, measured with the Rockwell B scale or whatever. So you'd need to know the alloys and heat treat/cold work status of both, or measure their hardness directly, to know which is harder.
    4)I wouldn't assume that their relative hardness definitively predicts their wear on a chamber; metal on metal wear is a black art.

To be clear, I have no knowledge or opinion on the relative merits of steel or brass cased ammo; just speaking to the metallurgy.
    Thanks for adding to the conversation. As a fellow engineering geek, I’m always interested in more data. Sounds like “generic” characteristics aren’t as useful when we don’t know the alloys and heat treatment of either metal.
    The Lucky Gunner test report linked earlier did a lot to address my concerns over steel cases and lacquers.
    But it also gave evidence for the potential wear on a barrel from bi-metal bullets.
    So if Hornady still had steel-cased, copper jacketed cartridges on the market at competive prices, I’d be interested.
    As it is, I think I’ll be shopping for copper jacketed, probably brass cased ammo..

As it is, I think I’ll be shopping for copper jacketed, probably brass cased ammo..
    My recommendation...
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Thanks @blues

I’m debating between these two options.
    Name:  FDFB2A20-F5DE-4D8E-B347-F40E78184E87.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  21.0 KB
    The 62 gr stuff made in Lake City is about $16 more, but if I’m leaning towards a 62 gr round for “real world” applications, maybe $16 isn’t too much to pay for a likely similar POI.

Thoughts?

Anyone with experience with the stuff made for SGAmmo at Lake City?

User Tag List