Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New AR - use brass or steel case ammo?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan_S View Post
    I guess the informal testing of steel case hardness can be reproduced fairly easily, and I’d put a whole lot more stock in that than google.
    Ok - don’t mean to be argumentative. Since I don’t have a steel case to rub on a brass case, I resorted to published data on the characteristics of standard materials. And I presumed that actual steel was harder than actual brass.

Maybe some steel cases are an alloy that’s actually softer and more mailable than brass?

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    Ok - don’t mean to be argumentative. Since I don’t have a steel case to rub on a brass case, I resorted to published data on the characteristics of standard materials. And I presumed that actual steel was harder than actual brass.

Maybe some steel cases are an alloy that’s actually softer and more mailable than brass?
    Take a steel case, and a brass case. Secure them side by side in a vise. Take....a screwdriver, or something similar, and drag it across the cases, and the steel will deform easier than the brass.

I dunno what the ‘steel’ actually is...shrug. Either way, I think the article I jus posted a link to in interesting, and definitely dispels a lot of the myths about steel cases, but certainly would tend to sway one away from the bi-metal bullets, if barrel life is a concern.
    Last edited by Dan_S; 12-07-2019 at 12:11 AM.

Site Supporter
    Thanks!

I had a vague memory of reading that sometime last year. I’ll re-read with interest now that it’s particularly relevant.

Site Supporter
    Thanks for bringing that up. In the unlikely event that I shoot out a Geissele barrel, I wonder if they re-barrel one of their own guns if I sent them the upper.
    Largely an academic question though - since I’m mostly a pistol guy, it would likely take me at least a decade to put 10,000 rds through an AR at the rate that I imagine using it.
    Seeing as Wolf Gold is ~260 a case, and the cheapest steel case is around ~190 a case, You're talking about a $700 difference in ammo costs over the 'lifetime' of that rifle in your hands. Not insignificant, but not a deal breaker either.

I feed my UZI a steady diet of the cheapest, shittiest steel case ammo I can find and it loves it. But a new barrel is ~$125 and takes 30 seconds to change.
    I don't mind running steel case in pistols that end up being reliable with it, either.

But on a rifle as nice as the Geissele I'd just shoot brass case ammo to consistently get the most out of the rifle's potential.

Something I haven't seen mentioned yet is whether it will function in your rifle.

Most of the steel case stuff is very anemic and can have trouble functioning a midlength. I'm not sure how gassy the Geissele Super Duty is, but you may want to have a lighter buffer on hand and only buy small amounts of a given ammo at a time to test it out before you go all-in on cases. My BCM middy won't function with common Russian steel case and an H2 buffer......an H1 allows it to trickle out with frequent immediate action drills.

It all shoots like shit for me, too. My BCM that shoots 10 round groups into 1.3"/100 yards with Hornady TAP turns into a 4"-6"/100 yard gun with cheap commie steel case. I personally buy AR15s for their accuracy, if I want to hose targets at close range I just bring a Mk18 from work....so it's worth the extra money to me for decent quality ammo on my own time, like PPU 75gr or the likes. YMMV.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Thanks @JRB and @TGS!

That’s just the kind of input I was looking for.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Something I haven't seen mentioned yet is whether it will function in your rifle.

Most of the steel case stuff is very anemic and can have trouble functioning a midlength. I'm not sure how gassy the Geissele Super Duty is, but you may want to have a lighter buffer on hand and only buy small amounts of a given ammo at a time to test it out before you go all-in on cases. My BCM middy won't function with common Russian steel case and an H2 buffer......an H1 allows it to trickle out with frequent immediate action drills.

It all shoots like shit for me, too. My BCM that shoots 10 round groups into 1.3"/100 yards with Hornady TAP turns into a 4"-6"/100 yard gun with cheap commie steel case. I personally buy AR15s for their accuracy, if I want to hose targets at close range I just bring a Mk18 from work....so it's worth the extra money to me for decent quality ammo on my own time, like PPU 75gr or the likes. YMMV.
    Thanks, TGS.

What bullet weight are you using in Hornady TAP? The Geissele has a 1:7 barrel, so I’m thinking it would do well with heavier bullets.
    My eventual hunt will be what kind of “duty” (home defense) ammo to settle on.

Thanks, TGS.

What bullet weight are you using in Hornady TAP? The Geissele has a 1:7 barrel, so I’m thinking it would do well with heavier bullets.
    My eventual hunt will be what kind of “duty” (home defense) ammo to settle on.
    75gr, the 223 version groups wonderfully while the 5.56 version opens up just a tad. Though to be honest, nowadays my home defense mags are loaded with 62gr TBBC.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Until someone actually tests the hardness of cartridge brass vs cartridge steel I'll keep on keeping on shooting either and not noticing any differences.

Not a fan of that "test", I'd like to see it done with far more controls before accepting anything other than they confirmed they could indeed shoot 40,000 rounds of ammo.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

User Tag List