Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 124-HST Case Length Issue

Bullet length and shape will also play a role to whether or not a loaded round will plunk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I'm a tactical operator and Instructor and also retired military."

-read on another forum

Quote Originally Posted by richiecotite View Post
    Bullet length and shape will also play a role to whether or not a loaded round will plunk
    Absolutely. I can load pointy-profile round nose bullets like Berry's plated round nose a LOT longer than relatively squat JHPs like Montana Gold because the point where the Berry's shrink to less than full caliber diameter is a LOT farther from the nose of the bullet.

A word of caution for those doing the plunk test. I have seen multiple examples of factory and hand loads that will plunk fine in one chamber and bottom out in another. I would recommend a case gage to be certain. For example, my P30 chamber will pass most rounds as they seem to be generous. My P2000sk has a shorter chamber length, and longer give bullets tend to engage the rifling sooner. The Glock examples I have handled, failed more rounds than my various P30s. A good reminder to case gage the important rounds.
    Taking a break from social media.

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    I would recommend a case gage to be certain.
    Certain of what? I've seen rounds pass a case gauge and fail in my P99's chamber because they were within SAAMI spec but the bullet shape + overall length put the bullet into the rifling before the round was fully seated in the chamber. The chamber of the gun a given round will be shot in is the only gauge that is truly meaningful.

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    Certain of what? I've seen rounds pass a case gauge and fail in my P99's chamber because they were within SAAMI spec but the bullet shape + overall length put the bullet into the rifling before the round was fully seated in the chamber. The chamber of the gun a given round will be shot in is the only gauge that is truly meaningful.
    You did read my second sentence? Do you actually separate rounds based on the intended pistol?

Either way do what works for you.
    Taking a break from social media.

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    You did read my second sentence?
    Yes, and it didn't make much sense with your assertion that using a case gauge would make you "certain."

Do you actually separate rounds based on the intended pistol?
    No. As stated earlier in the thread, I have determined which of my pistols has the tightest chamber, and I use that one to gauge rounds.

User Tag List