Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help with my Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by deputyG23 View Post
    Damn shame that none of our big revolver makers produce a revolver built for business out of the box...
    So my cobra has been in the Colt customer service shop longer than it's actually been in my hands. The ironic thing is i recently bought a Taurus 856 (basically Taurus's version of the cobra) as a beater for the range. Better trigger in my opinion and has eaten up close to 400 rounds without a hiccup.

Quote Originally Posted by vaglocker View Post
    Finally got my cobra back and they fixed the hammer strut. So, I put another couple hundred rounds through it to function test and now the trigger return spring is broken. Needless to say I'm very disappointed in Colt right now. When I get it back this time I will probably sell it and pick up one of the Kimber revolvers.
    Damn. I think that the cobra night guard is probably the best small snub made right now in terms of features.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by deputyG23 View Post
    Damn shame that none of our big revolver makers produce a revolver built for business out of the box...
    How much is a Korth again?

...Just looked at Nighthawk's site. Start at $3700. About the same as a fairly nice 1911.

Wonder why a lot of people look at a $800 1911 as something to send to a gunsmith to get turned into something that works, but nobody seems to think that is OK for revolvers.

Another way of asking: People would appreciate, but nobody would question seeing someone carry a $3700 Wilson Combat or Nighthawk 1911. It's not a surprise to see them in the wild. They're around. Some on this board carry them.

Who has actually seen a Korth in person?
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 02-04-2020 at 12:26 AM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Update

And the hits just keep on coming! Got my night cobra back for the hammer spring fix. Worked fine for about 10 dry fires then the cylinder locked up tight. At that point i just had to laugh. Sent a strongly worded email to customer service and they called me back today. This time it was the customer service manager and he was very apologetic. They are offering to replace the firearm, but don't have any night cobras with bobbed hammer. Sounds like they might be discontinuing? At any rate he gave me the option of replacing it with the 2 inch king cobra with bobbed hammer. I'm gonna give that a try and if I have issues I'm done with Colt as far as revolvers go.

Site Supporter
    Let us know how the bobbed King Cobra turns out. I've been kind of tempted by the Night Cobra but then the problems started being reported. I'm getting a bit leery of the new Colt offerings.

Dave

Well I bit the Cobra 2017 hook pretty hard. I have had the Cobra since 18 and purchased the Night Cobra a couple of weeks ago. The Cobra runs fine and has many rounds through it. I've only fired 50+/- rounds through the Cobra as the Virus shutdown and snowing here today has kept me from the range. No problems with either, yet. Have a farmer with a range about 10 miles from town when the weather breaks I will take out the NC and see how she does. No glitches with either so far. Where's the fingers crossed emoji.

I still have a 640 Pro and a Kimber K6 but I'm bonding with the Colts, lots of street history with a DS and an old Cobra.

FWIW sent a Kimber K6 3" DA/SA March 16 2020 arrival date to Kimber K6 factory in Troy, Alabama for repairs. 200 rds through the DA/SA and one out of six rounds every cylinderful "keyholing" through the target at 20 yds and beyond. Called Kimber CS yesterday and they advised the gun was in the shop for repairs, so all brands have problems.
    Last edited by Zeke38; 04-02-2020 at 12:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeke38 View Post
    ... so all brands have problems.
    Oh i'm well aware. I've had revolvers from Ruger, S&W, and now Colt have to go back to the manufacturer at one time or another. Ironically the only revolvers I've owned that have never gone back to the manufacturer (at least yet) are Taurus. My particular example of the night cobra is obviously a lemon so I'm glad the first thing they offered was a complete replacement. I guess I was expecting the run around with another repair RMA, so I'm glad about that.

Just to balance this tragedy out some, I had a new Taurus 85 back when they were on sale along with the rebates. It consistently shot left and cs left me wondering if they'd call it In Spec so I took it to a lgs. He had a good eye for problems and noticed that the barrel was crooked and pointed left just slightly. That had to mean that the frame threads were drilled at an angle. I guess they all have their problems from time to time.

I really like the way those Cobras feel in my hand but not sure I want to gamble on one. Good luck with your new one.

It quit snowing about noon today so i loaded the range bag with ammo and the Night Cobra and drove 10 miles from town (town is 995 people) and shot at a farmer friends of mine outdoor range. Had the AltamontI grips on and found out the horns or tops of them need to be trimmed. Gun shot well, but high, right on for windage. Found I really had to pull that front sight down into the trough to get it to shoot point of aim with my load of a 145 LHP sitting on top of some AA#5, but it grouped well. Shot close to a hundred rounds of commercial and handloaded odds and ends from 125 gr Speer Gold Dots +P to 148 grain WC over 231 and the aforemented 145 LHP and some 160 LSWCHPs over a +P amount of Unique. No problems, no hangups, this NC liked the wadcutters at 880fps. So that's first up in it with Winchester Ranger 130+Ps as a reload.

Put the stock VZ grip back on when I returned home. Kinda cool just me and the Cobra at the range, we were doing our best to social distance.

Best day I've had in a couple of weeks. Will shoot the Night Cobra some more before it goes primary in my EDC.

User Tag List