Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with my Cobra

Help with my Cobra

Looking for input as to what would cause the issue in the video. Pay attention to the 4th and 7th dry fire. For those trigger pulls there is a “hitch” in the beginning of th trigger pull that when overcome makes the cylinder “jump” to the next chamber instead of smoothly indexing. It sometimes happens randomly, and sometimes I can make it happen all the time. Just got it back from Colt and they said nothing is wrong. I put roughly 350 round through it before it started happening.

Hard to say from a description and video, but your Cobra appears to carry-up correctly, but you have a couple charge holes on which it -- not a technical term here, but oft-used -- "time's fast". This is usually a function of how the ratchet teeth are (or are not) fit.
    Hain’t we got all the fools in town on our side? And ain’t that a big enough majority in any town?

I think @willie might be on to something with his comment about the dual-contact hand being slightly out of spec, in the other thread.

I’ve still got two of these new Colts in the safe; I’ll crack in there later tonight and see if I can’t get a better idea of what might be causing the jumping.

ETA: the first two times I watched the vid, I had to view it on silent. With the sound up, it’s pretty clear that Colt effed up in sending it back.

Frankly, I’d start next by emailing a link to your video to a Colt CS supervisor, along with politely noting that "other Night Cobra owners in online forums seem to agree that something’s still wrong..."

That’ll get things moving again, I’d bet.
    Last edited by Totem Polar; 12-07-2019 at 01:25 PM.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Ok, I think I've found the issue. Not sure of the name of the part I took pictures of so excuse my lack of knowledge. The issue in question is with the part that is interfacing with the trigger.The first picture shows how everything lines up when the trigger is working smoothly. the second picture is when the trigger "catches". That part doesn't seem to be under any sort of spring pressure. That is the furthest i took the revolver down.

Name:  good.jpg
Views: 799
Size:  34.1 KB

Name:  bad.jpg
Views: 806
Size:  35.7 KB

I believe the term for that is hammer dog. (at least that is what it is called on my GP100)

Site Supporter
    Could cylinder drag be part of the problem? If you hold the pistol muzzle up (empty of course) does it happen?
    Is it always the same cylinders?

At any rate I agree that a trip back to colt is needed.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Colt calls that part the Hammer Strut, its in effect the double action sear. It should be spring loaded, if its not acting like it is, the spring may have grit in it, a burr, or have failed somehow. A good flush out with gun scrubber may help, then re-lube and see how it works. If that doesnt free it up, Id take the hammer out to deal with it better and see if you can determine why its hanging up. Watch out for the small spring wanting to launch if you take the strut out.

For reference, though of course the parts may not fit the newer version guns like yours

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-man...t/cobra?page=3

Id avoid the urge to slick it up while apart other than obvious burrs, that part (hammer strut) and its fit with the trigger is one of the few parts that can be easily messed up with very little stoning.
    Last edited by Malamute; 12-08-2019 at 08:57 AM.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Update

Finally got my cobra back and they fixed the hammer strut. So, I put another couple hundred rounds through it to function test and now the trigger return spring is broken. Needless to say I'm very disappointed in Colt right now. When I get it back this time I will probably sell it and pick up one of the Kimber revolvers.

Jeez! That’s not good news!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by vaglocker View Post
    Finally got my cobra back and they fixed the hammer strut. So, I put another couple hundred rounds through it to function test and now the trigger return spring is broken. Needless to say I'm very disappointed in Colt right now. When I get it back this time I will probably sell it and pick up one of the Kimber revolvers.
    Damn shame that none of our big revolver makers produce a revolver built for business out of the box...

User Tag List