Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Getcher 3” barrel m10

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    blast the finish, then send it off to Robar for NP3. But Robar ain't refinishing, so that's a no.

I understand there is somebody with a FFL who will take in guns and have them NP3 by the parent plating company.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    I understand there is somebody with a FFL who will take in guns and have them NP3 by the parent plating company.
    Oh neat! Thanks Jim, I was not aware of that. I will do some research and see what I can find out.

I have a couple of other diamonds in the rough that could use that treatment.
    Last edited by SeriousStudent; 01-20-2020 at 03:06 PM. Reason: bad spellur

Site Supporter
    That’s the fun part of buying used guns. I would call that model 10 in poor condition. The finish is beyond worn. It looks like it was covered in rust that was scrubbed off. I don’t know if NP3 would fill in the pits. $125 buck and I would take a chance and try and rescue it. But $ 320 plus shipping plus transfer plus NP3? You would even up to $700 bucks. I would just buy a used model 64 or 65 3”

I haz a sad.

I have a buddy that still has a media blaster cabinet setup, I think. He used to do AK build projects. I's be tempted to snag on of these, have him blast the finish, then send it off to Robar for NP3. But Robar ain't refinishing, so that's a no.
    Judging from the pics the pitting will still be visible after blasting. They look deep and plentiful. No coating (nickel, chrome, NP3, oxide, etc.) will fill pits. It will show the finish underneath. Think the only thing that might conceal it would be large grit size sand blast and a phosphate coat. Even if that worked it would be one really ugly S&W. Operation was a success but the patient died....
    Last edited by medmo; 01-21-2020 at 12:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by medmo View Post
    Judging from the pics the pitting will still be visible after blasting. They look deep and plentiful. No coating (nickel, chrome, NP3, oxide, etc.) will fill pits. It will show the finish underneath. Think the only thing that might conceal it would be large grit size sand blast and a phosphate coat. Even if that worked it would be one really ugly S&W. Operation was a success but the patient died....
    Understood.

But I have beautiful guns that I occasionally shoot, and then I have shooters. I guess it's my background as a recovering crayon-eater. I don't mind something that looks used but operational, if the price is reflective of those facts.

I guess it's my background as a recovering crayon-eater. I don't mind something that looks used but operational, if the price is reflective of those facts.
    I whole heartedly endorse the consumption of crayons being a crayon connoisseur myself. I’d be concerned with bore condition and chamber finish also. It might be more than cosmetic.

Understood.

But I have beautiful guns that I occasionally shoot, and then I have shooters. I guess it's my background as a recovering crayon-eater. I don't mind something that looks used but operational, if the price is reflective of those facts.
    Yup, I found a 3" Ruger Speed Six in 9mm once in my LGS. Mechanically it was fine but the finish was "experienced" . I would have bought it right then and there but the asking price was absurd, something north of $700.00

Nothing is going to "fill in the pits".
    If IF you were set up to do your own work, abrasive blast + spray n bake would give you a serviceable gun. But I do not consider it worth paying somebody to work on.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Nothing is going to "fill in the pits".
    If IF you were set up to do your own work, abrasive blast + spray n bake would give you a serviceable gun. But I do not consider it worth paying somebody to work on.
    I do have some Brownell's Aluma-Hyde. Might be worth it as a crotchety old man winter gun project.

User Tag List