Thread: The Home Defense and Competitive Shooting Act of 2019

The Home Defense and Competitive Shooting Act of 2019

(I don't see this elsewhere. If it's a dupe, then lock or merge, as desired.)
    Bill Would Roll Back Prohibition-Era Gun Rules – Reason.com

Rep. Roger Marshall (R–Kan.) thinks short-barreled rifles are overregulated, and he's looking to change that.

On Tuesday, Marshall introduced the Home Defense and Competitive Shooting Act of 2019. This would change provisions of the National Firearms Act of 1934 (NFA) that put extra restrictions on the ownership of short-barreled rifles—that is, semiautomatic rifles with a barrel shorter than 16″ in length or that have a total length of less than 26″.

The NFA requires owners of short-barreled rifles to register them with the federal government; they must also pay a one-time $200 excise tax per gun. If Marshall's bill becomes law, these extra requirements would disappear; short-barreled rifles would be regulated under the same rules as other semiautomatic rifles.

The legislation would also order the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives to destroy all current short-barreled rifle registration records within 365 days of the law's enactment. Information about those who already own these weapons would thus be erased from the federal database.
    Marshall introduces Home Defense and Competitive Shooting Act | Congressman Roger Marshall
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

The NFA itself should be repealed.Bad Guys have plenty of full auto weaponry to choose from.

Returning to the topic, itll get blocked in the House as the bill pre-empts state SBR laws. I fear this is a great idea destined to die in committee.
    Last edited by GardoneVT; 12-06-2019 at 01:59 PM. Reason: mixed up the House & Senate
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Site Supporter
    Virtue Signaling such as the HPA, Reciprocity and SAGA acts turned out to be. I'm glad folks put such forward but it has zero chance but good for PR and fund raising. As far as state pre-emption that is not an issue. The 2nd Amend. trumps state laws as we know. The antis will be against it. Are you saying pro gun folks would oppose it because of 'states rights'. Get in your time machine for that one.

It would be nice if the Senate would pass a version but Mitch doesn't give a crap.
    Last edited by Glenn E. Meyer; 12-06-2019 at 01:52 PM.

User Tag List