Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Colt customer service rant

Quote Originally Posted by vaglocker View Post
    Still fires on the correct chamber, but the trigger pull is a lot heavier when the problem manifests and when it breaks abruptly to continue the rest of the trigger pull it definitely upsets the sights. When the trigger is working normally it is a very smooth even trigger pull.
    One thing to check for is powder residue under the extractor star.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    As a fellow Delta Elite owner,I’m curious- did you use the same mags both times you shot it? And what brand?
    No, used Colt OEM and Wilson ETM’s.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    The only time I had to send a gun back to Colt (it was an AR) they were excellent. They paid shipping both ways and replaced the entire upper. This was in 2013 and that carbine is still running great.

Around the same time, Glock was telling it's customers that they were a bunch of limp-wristed pussies if they got BTF from the new Gen4s and making them pay to send the gun in.

Good times....
    Yeah, I sent a defender in to Colt for a recall—they paid both ways, and turned it around almost instantly. Plus, I got an extra free recoil spring assembly for the effort. This was about the time that Glock was insisting that the first 42s had no problems, while they simultaneously re-worked the innards.

OP, that vid shows an issue—but I’d give it a good cleaning first, as noted above, before doing anything else.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    Colt, S&W, and Ruger revolvers are designed in such a way that when correctly fitted, the cylinder will rotate smoothly through the entire rotation. Even when defective, they will go bang when the trigger is pulled. Even when the timing is off and the hand is not bringing up the next chamber as it should, the gun will go bang when the trigger is jerked. The firing pin passes through a hole in a bushing. A burr can occur on the outside edge of the hole. The pin itself can cause the inside edge of the hole to protrude. The bushing itself, if it is crimped into the frame, can loosen. In each case the parts can drag against case heads.

Interaction of hand or pawl against cylinder ratchets is more complicated or less straightforward in Colts. The hand has two contact areas where it contacts each ratchet. The very tip of the hand starts the rotation. A second part, a ledge, takes over at some point in the rotation and moves against the ratchet and then forces the cylinder notch against the cylinder stop. The op's cylinder is jumping between the two sections where the hand contacts each ratchet. Forgive my profanity. Please let me say that is totally fucked up. In the Colt action if one part is out of spec, or is not fitted correctly, then everything else is out of kilter. Here I refer to other parts not fitted right that can interfere with rotation.

There was no excuse for Colt to ignore the problem other than lack of knowledge. Unless corrected, I think the op's next observation will be the trigger sticking in the rearward position and then complete action immobility. That is, if he continues to dry fire or shoot the revolver.

My brand spanking new WC LW Commander had a loose extractor. Took me a bit to get it working, including stoning off a touch where it meets the slide.

But, that's part of the charm for me- I wanted something to fiddle on and shoot lots.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by vaglocker View Post
    Still fires on the correct chamber, but the trigger pull is a lot heavier when the problem manifests and when it breaks abruptly to continue the rest of the trigger pull it definitely upsets the sights. When the trigger is working normally it is a very smooth even trigger pull.
    Hard to say from a description and video, but your Cobra appears to carry-up correctly, but you have a couple charge holes on which it -- not a technical term here, but oft-used -- "time's fast". This is usually a function of how the ratchet teeth are (or are not) fit.
    Hain’t we got all the fools in town on our side? And ain’t that a big enough majority in any town?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    My brand spanking new WC LW Commander had a loose extractor. Took me a bit to get it working, including stoning off a touch where it meets the slide.

But, that's part of the charm for me- I wanted something to fiddle on and shoot lots.
    I have 3 Colt 1911's. I shoot them all a fair amount, maybe 1K a year on each one. Never had one malfunction.....yet. All purchased and all over 15 years old. I think I can deal with minor stuff like extractors but I know a good smiff if I need one. I'm not sending any back to Colt and I'm not buying any new ones.

The 1911 is an enthusiast’s pistols. In order to keep that gun running you have to, it’s not optional, you have to become your own armorer to a degree. You have to be able to diagnose and fix minor problems on an end user level. If you’re not willing to sign up for that, frankly you have no business running a 1911 for anything other than occasional recreational shooting. Larry Vickers.
    I also own an HK45 which I think is a vastly improved pistol. I love 1911's though. If I didn't I wouldn't have 3.
    Last edited by Borderland; 12-07-2019 at 09:56 AM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    I’ve always felt there’s things I need to fix and things that should be that way from the factory.

If it’s covered under warranty and not too much hassle - I let the manufacturer fix it.

JMHO. No dog in this race, but if something’s seriously wrong I send it back. If you put soup in my salad I send it back

I mean, I work in a service line of work. If a network connection goes down - I get called (when it’s my turn on rotation) I don’t see it as crazy to expect the same of a company who sells a product worth several hundred dollars.
    God Bless,

Brandon

updates in revolver forum. Mods please merge these two if you feel the need.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-with-my-Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post
    I’ve always felt there’s things I need to fix and things that should be that way from the factory.

If it’s covered under warranty and not too much hassle - I let the manufacturer fix it.

JMHO. No dog in this race, but if something’s seriously wrong I send it back. If you put soup in my salad I send it back

I mean, I work in a service line of work. If a network connection goes down - I get called (when it’s my turn on rotation) I don’t see it as crazy to expect the same of a company who sells a product worth several hundred dollars.
    Colt has a corporate problem, obviously, yet people still buy them knowing that they don't have good customer service. If they don't, they should. If Colt didn't have that heritage thing going for them they would have ceased to exist a long time ago. It just comes with the territory. They won't be going out of business anytime soon because of royalties and gov't contracts.

Colts are legendary. So is their customer service. You pays your money and takes your chances with Colt. It's like going to Vegas. If you want good customer service buy something else.
    Last edited by Borderland; 12-07-2019 at 02:27 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List