Thread: Police chief says CMPD has 18K confiscated guns

Police chief says CMPD has 18K confiscated guns

The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department has thousands of confiscated firearms stored in their facilities, according to Chief Kerr Putney.

https://www.wbtv.com/2019/12/06/poli...m-back-street/

My former department has a similar policy of not releasing firearms to the secondhand market, most being either smelted or cut up for scrap. And I'm sure there's an appreciable amount more (++++++) than what's stored at CMPD.
    Way back when the transition from revolvers to semi-autos took place, many of the used LE trade-in revolvers were shipped (legally) to a particular national firearms distributor. Thereafter one was apparently sold and eventually used in crime of some sort. That ended the policy of the department to sell, trade, barter, whatever, any firearms... And missing out on hundred of thousands of dollars that could be put to good use in a budget and financially strapped county.
    Last edited by Det1397; 12-06-2019 at 08:31 AM.

CWM11B
    My former agency has more than that. The big, typically anti gun, NC city leadership here is holding out on them in the hope that they can destroy them again. That's what my agency did with ALL forfeited firearms. And I saw some absolute gems go to the crusher in my day. A few years back, the legislature passed a law that only allowed destruction of the weapons if they were certified as unsafe to fire. Otherwise, by law, they must be put into police service, sold through a licensed dealer, used for educational purposes, or donated to a museum. And it pissed off our anti gun politicians wearing a police uniform.

We were offered over 50k for what we had before I left. Our Evidence room supervisor was pleading for relief as there was literally no room for any more. We had dimwit administrators speak of "liability" for selling them. I explained (or attempted to) until I was blue in the face that all liability would fall on the dealer. Not to mention flouting the law typically pisses off the legislature. I further pointed out that our own Sherriff sold theirs off, and that even Chapel Hill, the state mecca for the destruction of everything American, did the same. You cannot fix stupidity and willful ignorance. And big city police administrations have both in abundance.

Quote Originally Posted by CWM11B View Post
    A few years back, the legislature passed a law that only allowed destruction of the weapons if they were certified as unsafe to fire. Otherwise, by law, they must be put into police service, sold through a licensed dealer, used for educational purposes, or donated to a museum. And it pissed off our anti gun politicians wearing a police uniform.
    That is friggin' awesome! Outstanding work on all involved in making that particular piece of legislation!

Really makes me wish I could live in a place like that.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Amp View Post
    The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department has thousands of confiscated firearms stored in their facilities, according to Chief Kerr Putney.

https://www.wbtv.com/2019/12/06/poli...m-back-street/
    Where do you think these come from ?

https://everygunpart.com

User Tag List