Thread: Range estimation thread

Range estimation thread

There was a thread to some range estimation techniques based on what you could see of the target. For example if you could distinguish the persons fingers you were within x number of meters. Does anyone have a link to that thread or the website article. Thank you.

https://www.lejeune.marines.mil/Port...Estimation.doc

(1) 100 Yards. At 100 yards/meters, the target can be clearly observed in detail, and facial features can be distinguished.

(2) 200 Yards. At 200 yards/meters, the target can be clearly observed, although there is a loss of facial detail. The color of the skin and equipment is still identifiable.

(3) 300 Yards. At 300 yards/meters, the target has a clear body outline, face color usually remains accurate, but remaining details are blurred.

(4) 400 Yards. At 400 yards/meters, the body outline is clear, but remaining detail is blurred.

(5) 500 Yards. At 500 yards/meters, the body shape begins to taper at the ends. The head becomes indistinct from the shoulders.

(6) 600 Yards. At 600 yards/meters, the body appears wedge-shaped with the appearance of no head.
    Last edited by 0ddl0t; 12-06-2019 at 05:58 AM.

For S&G I just estimated the range at which you can see the whites of the eyes and, assuming an angular resolution of 0.0128° and an 6mm sclera, I get a maximum distance of about 27 meters. I don't think my eyes are quite that good, but that's what the math says...
    Last edited by 0ddl0t; 12-06-2019 at 06:50 AM.

Playing golf is a good way to get personal experience at what you can see since the yardage is marked and there are people to look at. However, you're usually limited to about 300 - 400 yards line of sight.
    Last edited by JTQ; 12-06-2019 at 07:19 AM.

"or S&G I just estimated the range at which you can see the whites of the eyes and, assuming an angular resolution of 0.0128° and an 6mm sclera"

That's about half of Dawe's Limit for a 6mm aperture (by coincidence, the max diameter of a middle age pupil is about the same size as the sclera), but about 30% better than most human eyes can do. Your's must be better than average. Mine used to be, but no longer.
    Last edited by JimCunn; 12-06-2019 at 03:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JimCunn View Post
    "or S&G I just estimated the range at which you can see the whites of the eyes and, assuming an angular resolution of 0.0128° and an 6mm sclera"

That's about half of Dawe's Limit for a 6mm aperture (by coincidence, the max diameter of a middle age pupil is about the same size as the sclera), but about 30% better than most human eyes can do. Your's must be better than average. Mine used to be, but no longer.
    I copied my angular resolution estimate from a wiki lecture where they used Rayleigh's Criterion to derive it assuming a 3mm aperture (pupil in daylight) and a 0.55 μm wavelength: https://www.wikilectures.eu/w/Resolution_of_human_eye

Using Dawes limit and a 3mm aperture I get ~32m.

Out of curiousity, I duckduckgo'd the engagement distance at bunker hill and found this quote from William Prescott's after action report to John Adams:

after a considerable Time finding our Amunition was almost spent I commanded a sessation till the Enemy advanced within 30 yards when we gave them such a hot fire, that they were obliged to retire nearly 150 yards before they could Rally and come again to the Attack.
    Last edited by 0ddl0t; 12-06-2019 at 04:59 PM.

Have you ever checked to see if you can resolve Venus as a crescent without binoculars?
    Requires 20/15 vision and no astigmatism. My eyes were 20/12, but I had a slight astigmatism that kept me from doing it.

I always thought this video was pretty helpful;

Thank you Texas Aggie, that was the video I was originally looking for.

User Tag List