Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: S&W K Frame 357 advice

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    My thoughts, FWIW:

On an older gun, I would go with adjustable sights because replacing or modifying the integral front sight to something more visible is a big deal that requires a gunsmith.

While a Model 19 would have the same issue with the FS, you can easily change the rear blade with an aftermarket that has a wider notch, or carefully file the notch a bit. A little more daylight helps tremendously with picking up that front sight...
    The old factory red ramp wasnt very bright. Its better than blued steel, but not great. The old hack of using fingernail polish is a valid option for the front sight. After trying one brand of bright orange polish with a white undercoat, I tried the Salon Perfect "Traffic Cone" orange, its brighter in low light than the fiber optics Ive compared it to. Ive painted all my carry pistol sights (including the old 29 with factory red ramp) and winchester carbine sights with it. I carry them daily when in my normal habitat in the evening, and after a year or two am still awed by how well it shows up in dusk conditions. It can chip and wear some after months of pocket or holster carry, a little dose of acetone on a rag or paper towel and a new coat of white and orange and its back like new.

It makes the blued Vaquero a workable option for dusk skunk patrol duty, the worn blue sights pretty well disappeared well before good blued sights did. Now I can see the front long after regular blued sights are history for the day.
    Last edited by Malamute; 12-06-2019 at 09:53 PM.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by rd62 View Post
    Well, decision made. Just won a nice 13-1 on Gunbroker.
    Congrats -- hope it's a winner and much enjoyed; I'm particularly fond of the heavy barreled, fixed sight K-frames.

As long as the much-debated K-frame forcing cone issue is on the table, I'd suggest you read widely on it; among S&W aficionados it remains a controversial subject with no end in definitive statements for and against whether it's an actual issue in the design, a bad batch barrels that got into the wild, the result of changes in barrel fitting, a particular load no longer extant, Internet amplification of a limited issue, much ado about nothing, and so on.

There are folk who've definitely experienced the forcing cone crack, some after very limited use of .357. There are also folk who've put almost nothing but .357 of all stripes through their Ks to zero ill-effect.

Point is, there's a lot of conflicting information, opinion and evidence lending weight to both sides of the divide in this debate, and it might be best to be informed of all of it, but have a healthy dose of the agnostic on the matter rather than accept any assertions as final.

Here's in my opinion one of the better reads floating around out there on the subject: https://gunblast.com/Butch_MagnumLoads.htm
    Last edited by Wingate's Hairbrush; 12-07-2019 at 09:14 AM.
    Hain’t we got all the fools in town on our side? And ain’t that a big enough majority in any town?

I like all K frames (and most N frames). I particularly like the Model 19, which I think was perhaps the best revolver Smith ever made, and while I like ones with 4 inch barrels, I think the crème de la crème were to 2 1/2 inch barrel models.

One simply cannot own too many 2.5 inch barrel model 19's.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    I like all K frames (and most N frames). I particularly like the Model 19, which I think was perhaps the best revolver Smith ever made, and while I like ones with 4 inch barrels, I think the crème de la crème were to 2 1/2 inch barrel models.

One simply cannot own too many 2.5 inch barrel model 19's.
    The exception, of course, being the opportunity to buy a rare 3" 19...
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Or 3" Model 66's:

Or 3" Model 65's:

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    The exception, of course, being the opportunity to buy a rare 3" 19...
    You have a Model 19 3 incher and you didn't post a photo of it?????

I think that is definitely against the rules.
    Last edited by Jeep; 12-12-2019 at 02:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by oregon45 View Post
    Or 3" Model 66's:

Or 3" Model 65's:

I'm pretty sure that I hate you.

Name:  6shooters.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  106.6 KB

It's all about the short barrel Combat Magnums, baby.

Only thing better are 3" Combat Magnums.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rd62 View Post
    I'm watching some 65s too but am really set on blued
    Our Cabela’s here in Short Pump has a 4” M65-3 with aftermarket Hogue or Rogers stocks for $449.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by deputyG23 View Post
    Our Cabela’s here in Short Pump has a 4” M65-3 with aftermarket Hogue or Rogers stocks for $449.
    Thanks, but I bought a Model 13 off of Gunbroker. Its set to arrive at my FFL tomorrow.

User Tag List