Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: S&W K Frame 357 advice

Quote Originally Posted by rd62 View Post
    Are there high visibility front sight options for either readily available?
    I remember that some model 19's had red inserts from the factory.

Here is an article about replacing the insert that will show what the factory ramp was like.

https://gunsmagazine.com/discover/se...-sight-insert/

It usually came with a white outlined rear sight.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rd62 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    You know not to use lightweight high-speed .357s, right?
    I do now thanks!
    Almost all Model 13/19/65/66s can crack their forcing cones if subjected to a diet of the lightweight highspeed hollowpoints that became popular in the 1970s. There were a lot of factors at play in the cracking of the forcing cones, which had a weaker spot at the bottom of the forcing cone (a flat spot). The remedy, as I understand it, is to stick with 158 grain bullets in .357 loads for K-frame magnums.

I believe that the newest model Model 19s and 66s have had the weakened forcing cone issue designed out of them.

To make a fast pass over a lot of history, the Model 19 was developed to give cops the lighter gun of a K-frame but with magnum power. Back in the day, it was common practice to train with .38 Specials (it wasn't uncommon for departments to roll their own practice ammo) and shoot magnums in the field. This proved to be a bad idea. There were issues with K frames standing up to using the popular lightweight highspeed hollowpoints.

As an aside, Ruger Security/Speed Sixes didn't have the same problem. Smith & Wesson introduced the L-frame guns to compete with Ruger for police business, then Ruger brought out the GP100 series.

My suggestion, if you haven't shot them much: Before you buy, find a place where you can try out the guns. I wouldn't worry about a rental/borrowed gun being a Model 66, just get a feel for shooting magnums through a K frame before you plunk down several hundred dollars for one.
    Last edited by Stephanie B; 12-06-2019 at 08:17 AM.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

I love me a good K frame and have two (a 3” 64 and my grandfather’s K-22), but when the time came to pick up a new 4” .357 I went slightly larger - a fixed sight 619. I like it enough that I’m looking for its adjustable sighted brother, the 620. I’ll never get rid of my 64, but the 619 makes an ideal field gun for me and is a good mate to my 69.

Name:  917D8766-524E-4893-AF28-364DE4F5737F.jpg
Views: 511
Size:  99.6 KB
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    Can anyone explain why S&W called the upper gun in HeavyDuty's picture a 619 instead of a M-65, and why the lower picture isn't just a reintroduced M-66?

Dave

My thoughts, FWIW:

On an older gun, I would go with adjustable sights because replacing or modifying the integral front sight to something more visible is a big deal that requires a gunsmith.

While a Model 19 would have the same issue with the FS, you can easily change the rear blade with an aftermarket that has a wider notch, or carefully file the notch a bit. A little more daylight helps tremendously with picking up that front sight.

S&Ws standard ramp is 1/8” thick. On a barrel shorter than 6”, I like the 1/10” to give my old eyes some more daylight (shorter the barrel, the more of the notch the front sight fills.)

Even if you were to get a custom FS installed, an adjustable rear sight gives you much more flexibility in your front sight choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    Can anyone explain why S&W called the upper gun in HeavyDuty's picture a 619 instead of a M-65, and why the lower picture isn't just a reintroduced M-66?

Dave
    I think the 619 and 620 are L-frames without full-lug barrels.
    Last edited by Stephanie B; 12-06-2019 at 02:55 PM.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I think the 619 and 620 are L-frames without full-lug barrels.
    Dingdingdingding...
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    Obviously I don't get out much...and don't follow current production Smiths at all. To many after-the-fact QC testers (i.e. consumers) and then there's the IL. (smile)

Dave

Site Supporter
    Well, decision made. Just won a nice 13-1 on Gunbroker.

S&W K Frame 357 advice

Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    Obviously I don't get out much...and don't follow current production Smiths at all. To many after-the-fact QC testers (i.e. consumers) and then there's the IL. (smile)
    It is my impression that all of the gun makers these days are using the consumers for final QC. To my mind, it is a reason why used guns can be a much better value.
    Last edited by Stephanie B; 12-06-2019 at 08:29 PM.

User Tag List