Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: S&W K Frame 357 advice

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    That's a good question. As I understand the new construction, "indefinite" is the correct answer....the trick is getting one properly assembled.

Your 2.75" 66 still working out well? What's the round count now?
    Good. I just sent the cylinder out to get properly honed throats. I couldn't tap .358 sized bullets through the cylinder. My normal 13.5gr 2400 under a 158gr hardcast bullet doesnt lead but everything lighter would. Besides that i have over 2krds of magnums (90% of those reloads) through it with at least that much more of .38+p through it.

Action is like butter.

Jacketed bullets always shot fine.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by $teve View Post
    The heart wants what the heart wants. Because you are seeking advice, why not a heavy barrel Model 10 or 64, they are plentiful on the used market with a wide price range. With all honesty do you see yourself going to the range and firing 50/100 rounds magnums, if so you should reevaluate and consider going up to the N frame size revolver.
    I do not thus the K frames. Prefer to have a blued example so a 13 or 19. I totally agree, the heart wants what it wants!

Quote Originally Posted by rd62 View Post
    I do not thus the K frames. Prefer to have a blued example so a 13 or 19. I totally agree, the heart wants what it wants!
    Agree. I happen to feel that the 19s are one of the best looking and feeling pistols Smith ever made. The fixed sight Ks are pretty uninteresting to me, other than the 3" guns. They look homely as a mud fence. The ones Ive had didnt hold my interest for long. Stainless has about the same effect on me. I prefer a well worn blued gun to a new stainless gun. Folks just have different taste in things.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Name:  20191202_184657.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  44.7 KB

A 4" M19 sure feels perfect in my hands

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Name:  20191202_184657.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  44.7 KB

A 4" M19 sure feels perfect in my hands
    Thats a handsome 19. What grips are those?

Thats a handsome 19. What grips are those?
    VZ

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    The one I am eyeing hardest is vintage. Early 70s I believe.
    You know not to use lightweight high-speed .357s, right?
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Currently I'm leaning toward the 13.
    A 4" 13 is a beautiful thing. If my crappy eyes could still do the sights, i’d stick with the 13s and 65s forever. The older ones tend to be well-regulated for 158 grainers across a surprisingly wide velocity range, including .357—which they will shoot for years. Accelerated wear traditionally comes from the hotter 125 magnum loads.

I have 10s of K rounds through a few fixed sight K-frames under my belt, and I have yet to bust one up. It can be done, but if you’re shooting that much, you can easily justify finding another one to repeat the process. JMO.
    Last edited by Totem Polar; 12-05-2019 at 10:28 PM.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    You know not to use lightweight high-speed .357s, right?
    I do now thanks!

My first serious handgun, bought in 1970, was a 4" blue steel model 19 Combat Magnum. I shot thousands of 158 grain Remington full power magnum rounds and had no problems. If your only going to have one I still think it is the best choice for an all around handgun. The current commercial magnum ammo is loaded lighter than the ones of that time period. You should have no problem with a model 19 that is in good working condition.
    Billy

Gunsmith, M/C mechanic, Retired Army, NRA Life Member
    "When you have to shoot...Shoot don't talk" Tuco

User Tag List