Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: S&W K Frame 357 advice

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    My point is that I see no point in spending money to remove the single action feature. Doing so will reduce value of a collectible handgun. This action would be in the same category as reshaping a Colt Single Action hammer, rebluing a nice 1950's Belgium Browning shotgun, installing a Poly Choke on any shotgun, cutting the barrel on a collectible Winchester Model 12 shotgun, or performing similar alterations on other collectible firearms. A fact that I did not state is the owner risks having an untrained person grinding on a fine revolver.
    A used Model 13 is hardly a collectible, it's basically a blue steel Glock that only holds six rounds. He should definitely make it DAO.

Site Supporter
    15 years agoI bought a new inbox old stock M13 in the box with papers from my dealer. At the same time I bought a new in box and unfired M10. I paid $265 for the M13 and $235 for the M1O. They have almost tripled in value. 15 years from now, the op's revolver will have increased in value similarly. The reason is that sources of these handguns are drying up. If the op removes the hammer spur and has the single action notch removed, then his revolver's value will degrade. At the same time, he will be paying for a service that will reduce his weapon's value.

I do agree that revolvers carried for self defense pose fewer problems when they are double action only. Perhaps the best reason is that the shooter will less likely have a negligent discharge. A range gun does not have these requirements.

If the op chooses to remove the hammer spur, he will have more difficulty finding a holster with a retaining structure that will function with the spur removed. Thumb snap versions won't work. Straps that go under the spur won't work. But there may be a cool factor with the weapon so modified. To each his own.

User Tag List