Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: S&W K Frame 357 advice

Site Supporter

S&W K Frame 357 advice

Looking for some advice from the revolver gurus here. I am wanting to pickup a K frame S&W 357 for a fun/project gun. I prefer something used in decent shape with a blued finish and have been eyeing several model 13s and 19s on Gunbroker.

I'd like to have it converted to DAO with a spurless hammer and it'll serve as a range fun, occasional IDPA, and seldom carry gun.

Having never owned or fired either is there a substantial benefit to the 19 over the 13? The differences seem to be adjustable sights and a more substantial under lug for the ejector rod on the 19. Currently I'm leaning toward the 13.

What barrel length we discussing?

The fundamental differences, as you note, are the 19's adjustable sights and extractor shroud; the 13 has neither. The 19's barrel is a medium contour; the 13's heavy profiled. Handling is very similar, with the 13's weight up front taming muzzle flip a bit more.

I prefer shooting the 13s a bit more, but for mostly range fun the adjustable sights might win the day.

Are you set on .357? If .38 will do, add the Model 10 to your list...
    Hain’t we got all the fools in town on our side? And ain’t that a big enough majority in any town?

I would add the M66 to the guns listed.
    They are shiny and tough, two good things, I think.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wingate's Hairbrush View Post
    What barrel length we discussing?
    4" barrel

Are you set on .357? If .38 will do, add the Model 10 to your list...
    Looked at the model 10's too. They are what initially wet my appetite but would really like the 357 capabilities.

Site Supporter
    I shot a used Model 19 at a 2004 Thunder Ranch class in TX with much success. I found the adjustable sights to be handy as I had a hodge podge of ammo types for the class.

Given your stated goals, having the ability to zero the gun to a particular load might come in handy. I was also told by any number of "old skool shooter dudes" that you should shoot enough .357 mag out of a Model 19 so you know how it feels and where it hits but its steady diet ought not to be hotter than 38 spl +p. FWIW.

I carried that gun in a Sparks PMK with no issues at all. Sparks hit a relatively tight order window (8 weeks) knowing I needed it for a a couple of weeks of practice before heading out to class and did not charge my cc until the pkg shipped.

I honestly prefer the adjustable sight S&Ws only because the sight picture is superior to their fixed sight counterparts.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ACP230 View Post
    I would add the M66 to the guns listed.
    They are shiny and tough, two good things, I think.
    I'm watching some 65s too but am really set on blued

I dont find that i need the adjustability on my .357s. I must of lucked out with ones whose poi is so close its a moot point. My ruger m77mkll will shoot 140gr factory and 175 reloads into the same hole too. Sometimes i just get lucky.

I think the sight picture on my m66 with fixed rear sight and meprolight front has my favorite sight picture. Followed by standard(tapered) barrel sights, then m19 adjustable sights, then heavy barreled fixed sights.

Site Supporter
    Are there high visibility front sight options for either readily available?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    I shot a used Model 19 at a 2004 Thunder Ranch class in TX with much success. I found the adjustable sights to be handy as I had a hodge podge of ammo types for the class.

Given your stated goals, having the ability to zero the gun to a particular load might come in handy. I was also told by any number of "old skool shooter dudes" that you should shoot enough .357 mag out of a Model 19 so you know how it feels and where it hits but its steady diet ought not to be hotter than 38 spl +p. FWIW.

I carried that gun in a Sparks PMK with no issues at all. Sparks hit a relatively tight order window (8 weeks) knowing I needed it for a a couple of weeks of practice before heading out to class and did not charge my cc until the pkg shipped.
    Thinking the 13 in something like a Summer Special would be slick

User Tag List